Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what would you expect to pay for this.....?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2008, 09:07 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would you expect to pay for this.....?

Going to look at this on the weekend Subaru : prodrive sti type uk what would be a reasonable price to pay for a car of this age/spec etc?

Sorry, i know these questions get asked all the time but I am just after some opinions from people in the know
Old 09 May 2008, 09:28 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

11.5k-12k cash I reckon

Ive seen the exact same spec at those prices, IMO though, after thinking about it some, there are some lovely JDM sti's in that price range, Id be tempted by one tbh instead of a type UK, and thats coming from someone with an sti uk
Old 09 May 2008, 09:42 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Got any links to the JDM's? Would prefer a JDM model but haven’t seen many about. Only one I have seen on here the seller tells me it has the known knocking suspension problem so didn't want the hassle of sorting it out. Other ones I have seen have been located the other side of the country to me
Old 09 May 2008, 09:45 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Got any links to the JDM's? Would prefer a JDM model but haven’t seen many about. Only one I have seen on here the seller tells me it has the known knocking suspension problem so didn't want the hassle of sorting it out. Other ones I have seen have been located the other side of the country to me
The knocking aint always as bad as you think mate, the shocks normally just need uprating and refurbing, and some droplinks adding possibly, it normally does the trick, it did with mine, but its no biggie.

Heres some JDM ones I saw;

Subaru : Subaru Impreza 2003 JDM STI in White 400 BHP

Subaru : 2003 03 reg Subaru Impreza STI JDM (import)

(looks good, cheap road tax, nice spec)

Subaru : sti jdm

Subaru : Impreza JDM Import WRX STi
Old 09 May 2008, 10:04 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
The knocking aint always as bad as you think mate, the shocks normally just need uprating and refurbing, and some droplinks adding possibly, it normally does the trick, it did with mine, but its no biggie.

Heres some JDM ones I saw;

Subaru : Subaru Impreza 2003 JDM STI in White 400 BHP

Subaru : 2003 03 reg Subaru Impreza STI JDM (import)

(looks good, cheap road tax, nice spec)

Subaru : sti jdm

Subaru : Impreza JDM Import WRX STi
Thanks, I have come across these...

1st one looks good but not sure white is my thing?

2nd one is the one with the knocking suspension and some marks on front bumper.

Last one guy sent me picks as it has a lot of chips down the doors.

Not that I’m a picky git or owt but i don't really want to spend this amount of money on a scoob only to have "things to sort out" if you know what i mean.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:05 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

The knocking suspension is a good way to haggle the price down. If the car is otherwise perfect then get a quote from Subaru for new suspension then take this off the asking price. Then go and buy some decent suspension from an aftermarket supplier. You can do it the same day as you pick the car up. Sorted.

FWIW I think the car advertised is 2 grand too expensive.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:29 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
The knocking suspension is a good way to haggle the price down. If the car is otherwise perfect then get a quote from Subaru for new suspension then take this off the asking price. Then go and buy some decent suspension from an aftermarket supplier. You can do it the same day as you pick the car up. Sorted.

FWIW I think the car advertised is 2 grand too expensive.
2 grand over, really?? Surely cars of this age and mileage must be worth more than 11.2k? Best I get my haggling hat on then, mind you can't see him coming down to anywhere near the 11k area.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:33 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

looks a bit expensive too me , I paid just over 15k for my 05 sti with PPP and 21k on the clock last Oct , makes this one look a bit toppy remembering not many people out there looking to invest in thirsty Scoobs at the moment

Dave
Old 09 May 2008, 10:39 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

there was a black 2004 sti near me 2 weeks ago at a ford dealer with about 30ish on the clock real nice and tidy for 12,900 and that was at a ford rip off dealer
Old 09 May 2008, 10:47 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

2 grand over, really?? Surely cars of this age and mileage must be worth more than 11.2k? Best I get my haggling hat on then, mind you can't see him coming down to anywhere near the 11k area.
Well think about it for a mo. The mods are nice and not too OTT, but they add virtually nothing to the value of the car. Even if we assume it was originally purchased for list price (£28k ish with PPP) the guy still wants just under 50% of it's cost after 5 years and 34k miles. Yes, it is a lot of car for the money, but that is always the case with second hand performance cars. Don't forget that it probably needs a big service soon (can someone confirm the big one is the 5 yr one pls). You also have to remember that oil is now forecast to hit $150 a barrel this year which means it is going to cost £80 to travel 250 miles in this car plus the road tax will be over £400 next year. There has never been a buyers market like the one we are seeing at the moment. Take a deep breath and stick in a really rude offer. Then wait. This car probably won't sell (certainly not at that price) and he'll get back to you. Trust me.

Last edited by Blueblaster; 09 May 2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09 May 2008, 11:03 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Well think about it for a mo. The mods are nice and not too OTT, but they add virtually nothing to the value of the car. Even if we assume it was originally purchased for list price (£28k ish with PPP) the guy still wants just under 50% of it's cost after 5 years and 34k miles. Yes, it is a lot of car for the money, but that is always the case with second hand performance cars. Don't forget that it probably needs a big service soon (can someone confirm the big one is the 5 yr one pls). You also have to remember that oil is not forecast to hit $150 a barrel this year which means it is going to cost £80 to travel 250 miles in this car plus the road tax will be over £400 next year. There has never been a buyers market like the one we are seeing at the moment. Take a deep breath and stick in a really rude offer. Then wait. This car probably won't sell (certainly not at that price) and he'll get back to you. Trust me.

Your probably right. I have a couple of hours trip up there to go see it so hopefully he will drop the price by some margin so I don't have a wasted trip. His already said his looking for 13k if not close to it but I think it will need to be some way off that for me to hand over my cash.

I have asked about last service, tells me it's got 8k miles till the next one, however i guess it depends how long ago it was last done as I assume it should be serviced every 12 months if it doesn't hit the mileage. So I could be looking at a £400+ cambelt service then?

MOT due end of June I believe too.
Old 09 May 2008, 11:13 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Your probably right. I have a couple of hours trip up there to go see it so hopefully he will drop the price by some margin so I don't have a wasted trip. His already said his looking for 13k if not close to it but I think it will need to be some way off that for me to hand over my cash.

I have asked about last service, tells me it's got 8k miles till the next one, however i guess it depends how long ago it was last done as I assume it should be serviced every 12 months if it doesn't hit the mileage. So I could be looking at a £400+ cambelt service then?

MOT due end of June I believe too.

When buying cars/houses it is very easy to think that the seller his holding all the cards. That is often not the case and in this instance you have everything in your favour. With respect, him saying he is looking for £13k is irrelevant. He's going to lie through his teeth to get a sale. Leave him to sweat on a really rude offer and when he realises he isn't going to get anything better he'll be back. There is a chance someone else might get the car, but everyone will tell you buyers are thin on the ground so you'd have to be really unlucky.

Just to give you an idea, I sold my 9 month old MY05 STI with 8k on the clock to a dealer for £16,300 at the end of 2006. Do you still think a 5 yr old car with 34k under its belt is worth 3 grand less?
Old 09 May 2008, 11:24 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

As a guide I sold mine 53 plate STI 31k miles full history etc.(check my Scooby out) for £11700.
It certainly was fantastic condition with plenty of subtle mods added and a healthy 340bhp.
I may have got 12k had I held out but it went after 2 weeks.
I think this car could be had for around £11500 providing there is nothing a-miss.
Old 09 May 2008, 11:35 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
As a guide I sold mine 53 plate STI 31k miles full history etc.(check my Scooby out) for £11700.
It certainly was fantastic condition with plenty of subtle mods added and a healthy 340bhp.
I may have got 12k had I held out but it went after 2 weeks.
I think this car could be had for around £11500 providing there is nothing a-miss.

Someone got a bargain there!! Wish i spotted that, looks like a nice car.

Out of interest what did you have it advertised for?
Old 09 May 2008, 11:52 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Someone got a bargain there!! Wish i spotted that, looks like a nice car.

Out of interest what did you have it advertised for?
12k. Even at that price I had a guy view it that would only offer 11200
and he continued to call me asking if I would reconsider.

I have made the mistake in the past of advertising cars priced too high and after a period of time dropped the price, time and time again, and in the end accepting a price lower than I could have got for it originally.
I had several enquiries in the 2-3 weeks and 2 were serious buyers, loads of time wasters.

Don't rush it as there are plenty out there and they come up often and be prepared to travel. I went 200 miles on a train to buy my current RB5.
Old 10 May 2008, 07:04 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

I keep getting the feeling that I bought mine at the wrong time! lol
Old 10 May 2008, 08:17 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I have come across these...

1st one looks good but not sure white is my thing?

2nd one is the one with the knocking suspension and some marks on front bumper.

Last one guy sent me picks as it has a lot of chips down the doors.

Not that I’m a picky git or owt but i don't really want to spend this amount of money on a scoob only to have "things to sort out" if you know what i mean.
No mate, your right, if your paying out the coin, ideally we want to drive it away and not have to spend a lot on them.

The plus' IMHO of the one in question, is that it has great power and torque, more than enough, he doesn't say anything about suspension or handling mods but if he's running that, Id be suprised if it doesn't have them.

Stone chips can be brought under control easily mate and the knocking too, but the lads are right, use these as a haggling aspect, he's had that car up quite a while, IMO, he might take 11k for it...leaving you with some extra change to sort the rear shocks.

Btw mate, the white is quite a unique colour on the newages I reckon, I was the same, not too keen, but spec c's come in white and look awesome
Old 10 May 2008, 03:28 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
No mate, your right, if your paying out the coin, ideally we want to drive it away and not have to spend a lot on them.

The plus' IMHO of the one in question, is that it has great power and torque, more than enough, he doesn't say anything about suspension or handling mods but if he's running that, Id be suprised if it doesn't have them.

Stone chips can be brought under control easily mate and the knocking too, but the lads are right, use these as a haggling aspect, he's had that car up quite a while, IMO, he might take 11k for it...leaving you with some extra change to sort the rear shocks.

Btw mate, the white is quite a unique colour on the newages I reckon, I was the same, not too keen, but spec c's come in white and look awesome
I assume your talking about the JDM car here, not the one I might be going to look at?
Old 10 May 2008, 06:32 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

as far as i know the 3yr service is the most expensive one even though its not the cambelt change
Old 10 May 2008, 09:24 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Sold mine for £13.6k with loads of tasty mods on and less miles so agree this one is way over priced. It was perfect and it gutted me to see it drive away today but after three years it was time to move on.

My shocks started knocking but I plummed for the AST suspension from Powerstation. Best mod on the car IMHO and @ £1000.00 fitted with full geometry done as well it was money well spent.
Old 11 May 2008, 12:08 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments.... I contacted the guy again and he didn't want to go any lower than 12.5k so I decided, for the time being, not to make the trip up there to take a look.

As from this Tuesday I am away on holiday for two weeks anyway so i will see what Scoobs are about on my return, hopefully a few more will have popped up
Old 11 May 2008, 05:50 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments.... I contacted the guy again and he didn't want to go any lower than 12.5k so I decided, for the time being, not to make the trip up there to take a look.

As from this Tuesday I am away on holiday for two weeks anyway so i will see what Scoobs are about on my return, hopefully a few more will have popped up
Advertised for £13,250
Said he's looking for £13,000
Now said he won't go below £12,500

Give him a call when you get back from your hols. His next price will be even lower and will probably start with an eleven. Tell him you'll pay cash if he wants it and leave him to sweat. You will get this car for £11,000 or something awfully close. Buyers market.
Old 11 May 2008, 11:32 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HT04
are the wheels on that, oz ultraleggera ?
I see you pinched the pic of his wheels in your other thread

Can't say I actually asked mate but I think they are OZ Superleggra. If you look at pics of both types of wheel the spokes of the Superleggra's seem to finish inside the rim of the wheel where as the Ultra's spokes run over the rim edge.

Hopefully you can see what i'm going on about in these pics

ULTRA:
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...a_gd_ci3_l.jpg

SUPER:
http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/i...GOLD_large.jpg
Old 11 May 2008, 11:35 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Advertised for £13,250
Said he's looking for £13,000
Now said he won't go below £12,500

Give him a call when you get back from your hols. His next price will be even lower and will probably start with an eleven. Tell him you'll pay cash if he wants it and leave him to sweat. You will get this car for £11,000 or something awfully close. Buyers market.
Yep, I will see if he still has it on my return and go from there