Notices

Classic - is it anti-lift I need to cure this?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2018, 09:32 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Classic - is it anti-lift I need to cure this?

Need some advice as the local Subaru garage says there's nothing wrong:-

Car seems light under power at the front end with any kind of steering angle. I only use it at dry weekends these days, but I notice it every time - unless I'm getting spoilt by modern company cars?

- have replaced front shocks, springs ,top mounts (all Kyb)
- all front bushes poly inc steering rack
- no advisories on Mot in last 5 years for anything like track rod ends
- only other symptom is occasionally 'graunchy' noise from front left which is apparently a bit of corrosion on the abs ring

​​​​​​Any ideas - it spoils the drive and its definitely not how I remember the previous classics I had!!
Old 27 October 2018, 09:54 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Try your wheel bearing on the side the abs is reported bad. Can't see how an abs ring would be noisy. Its a wonder how they didn't if the bearing is bad notice on an MOT.
Old 27 October 2018, 01:46 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

No bearing issue and told that the occasional graunchy noise on lock is just a bit of weathering/ age which they emmeried off.

i'm not bothered about that so much - its more the lightness / vagueness / lack of grippy feeling at the front that I want to tackle.

​​​​​​Looking for ideas really - track rod ends are mentioned in searches but nothing has ever come up about these in mots, so I'm thinking if anti-lift would help, but not sure if that gets me to the 'root cause'.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 27 October 2018, 01:59 PM
Chrisp11981
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you got different tyres on the front to the rear? Has the tracking/camber/alignment been done correctly? Both of these may contribute to your symptoms...
Old 27 October 2018, 02:13 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Four correct size p-zeros replaced last year and tracking was checked last time it was in the Subaru dealer (all spot on).

Might tired (but not mot mentionable) track rod ends contribute to this or would I be wasting my money in getting them done ?!

If I think about what I've replaced in order over the last 3 years, it was all very logical:- 1) Bushes; then 2) Shocks mounts springs; then 3) Sti strut brace plus new tyres

Just want to get that 'tight' front end back from what I remember from my previous ones. Surely I didn't imagine it when I used to bomb back and forward into darkest deepest Wales at stupid o clock in the morning ! My last Octavia vRS diesel had a sharper front end !
Old 27 October 2018, 02:13 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

An anti-lift kit causes more front lift, under acceleration.
Did you fit new rear dampers/springs?
As above, what's the alignment? Get a print-out and post it.
Stock bars?
What kyb dampers + which springs?

Last edited by 2pot; 27 October 2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 27 October 2018, 03:05 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Ok - no point getting anti lift then.

kyb excel g on front with kyb standard oem springs and top mounts, all fitted by Subaru dealer.
tracking done at Subaru garage at the same time to subaru std settings. No printout.
Rear kyb shocks and springs bought but not fitted yet - still on originals. Not noticeably squatting at the rear but good point if you mean that might cause front lift due to lack of resistance at the rear?
Old 27 October 2018, 03:35 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

The lower ride height at the rear, due to old shocks/springs (reduced gas pressure/sag) is causing a lack of weight transfer to the front, on turn-in - front tyres not being pushed into the road surface. On acceleration, at corner exit, the rear is collapsing and weight is excessively moving to the rear, making the front even lighter. That's my guess.

I would pay for a printout of your current alignment. Subaru's range of what is acceptable, is not conducive to performance handling.
Old 27 October 2018, 04:09 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

What you say makes total sense to me in the absence of anything else coming up in previous MOTs.

Anything else worth doing at the rear while they are changing the shocks springs + mounts?
Old 27 October 2018, 08:17 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Before you get the alignment done get the rubber bushes replaced with poly in the front arms, a fraction of the price of the ALK, and will transform the front end, especially with the correct alignment settings, this isnt the standard settings, Whiteline & Prodrive have their own settings for better handling.

"I use prodrive ... 1.3/1.4 neg at front, 1.1 neg at rear and 1.0mm total toe on fronts and rears, I have just completed 19,000 miles on 16" SO2's, including two track days and wear is absolutely even. I do swap front to rear every 3500/4000 though. I have MY96 STi 2 with "standard" STi suspension. I estimate over 50% of those miles were motorway."

From this thread.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-settings.html

Last edited by JDM_Stig; 27 October 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 28 October 2018, 09:30 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Thanks. When I have the rear shocks etc done I will see what can be done with the alignment suggestions.