Notices

Poly bushes or Group N bushes?

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2018, 08:52 PM
rudolfssau
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly bushes or Group N bushes?

For a long time, i’ve wanted to put on poly bushes around the full car, i know, the ride will be harsh, but the car’s a race car...
Recently, i stubled upon Group N bushes, they don’t seem to squeek, neither do they need greese, like the poly ones do...
What would you guys recommend?
Or should i put some poly bushes and mix them up with Group N’s?
Cheers!
Old 06 August 2018, 08:54 PM
rockabilly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its a blob I have a set of black super pro I removed after a week they fit the rear subframe beam and diff carrier 40 del
Old 15 August 2018, 01:37 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Rubber bushes allow the suspension to twist, where it is designed to twist. Poly does not although it restricts movement. Hardened rubber GrpN will be a better compromise. Poly can be used in diff or sub frame mounts however as they don't need to twist or move so much. Poly squeaks too.
Old 21 August 2018, 03:31 PM
uxon
Scooby Regular

What about sway bar bushing. Many people mount polybushes there, even though sway bar also twists.
Old 21 August 2018, 03:45 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Floyd
Rubber bushes allow the suspension to twist, where it is designed to twist. Poly does not although it restricts movement. Hardened rubber GrpN will be a better compromise. Poly can be used in diff or sub frame mounts however as they don't need to twist or move so much. Poly squeaks too.
Cant understand why people think this. 99% of these move on the sleeve in the centre of the bushing hence why they are greased. All the actual bush does is fill the void with a less compliant material. Rubber bushings which are or have been pressed in would probably put more stress on surrounding components due to the twisting imposed on the rubber due to movement of components. Whereas a polybush 99% of the time is effectively a greased bearing.
Old 22 August 2018, 12:16 AM
seventune
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Super pro bush kit all round. They are an amazing product. They ride much closer to stock than powedflex but offer the same degree of handling improvements. I did back to back tests a few with some friends and colleuges years ago stock, powerflex, super pro and a cheapy make.... this was done on the road in town, dual carriage way and country lanes.... never looked back since. I have yet to do my current impreza but super pro will be going on no doubt about it.

like any of these products people will have their own views and experiences. I happen to think super pro are very good. You could try and speak to a local tuner to see if any of their cars have aftermarket bushes fitted and see if they will take you out for a drive. Obviously it would be hard to draw a comparison between powerflex and super pro if they only had one! Personally Super Pro.

Last edited by seventune; 22 August 2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:29 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uxon
What about sway bar bushing. Many people mount polybushes there, even though sway bar also twists.
Yes, I have poly bushes in my roll bar mounts. They are a PITA TBH. I have to grease them regularly as they dry out quickly, especially in the wet. When the grease has gone they don't move well and creak/knock but at least they are easy to service. How can you service the wishbone mounts and other bushes that are hard to get to???

I am up rating my front lower wishbone mounts but will consider rose joint over poly, despite the cost.

Last edited by Floyd; 22 August 2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 23 August 2018, 07:08 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Floyd
Yes, I have poly bushes in my roll bar mounts. They are a PITA TBH. I have to grease them regularly as they dry out quickly, especially in the wet. When the grease has gone they don't move well and creak/knock but at least they are easy to service. How can you service the wishbone mounts and other bushes that are hard to get to???

I am up rating my front lower wishbone mounts but will consider rose joint over poly, despite the cost.
You just make the ARB bushes part of the PPM`s when you do the services really.
Old 05 September 2018, 12:02 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Yes, TPM on the ARB bushes but how do you do this easily on wishbone and trailing arm bushes...?
Old 28 September 2018, 03:44 PM
beanoir
Scooby Regular

I also find my ARBs squeak and are a PITA, I would use a PTFE based lube as a PPM for my ARBs, IMO, LoL, HTH

Mine has PowerFlex fitted and I hate them.

Last edited by beanoir; 28 September 2018 at 03:50 PM.