Notices

camber degree?

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2015, 06:58 PM
tez7431
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber degree?

Every body seems to have there cambers set and 4 wheel line up. But is there a holy grail for how much the front and rear cambers are set to have positive or negative settings. My95 rally is set to 0 on all 4 wheels at the moment and look very straight.
Old 26 March 2015, 08:38 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tez7431
Every body seems to have there cambers set and 4 wheel line up. But is there a holy grail for how much the front and rear cambers are set to have positive or negative settings. My95 rally is set to 0 on all 4 wheels at the moment and look very straight.
It's more about.the whole package.
Decent tyres are the main thing you need
Old 26 March 2015, 09:33 PM
tez7431
Scooby Regular

Thats not a problem with tyres. Dunlop racing tyres.
Just wanted to know is there a base setting all the guys use or set it and see how it goes.
Old 26 March 2015, 10:04 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Just take it to Richard Henry's seen as you're in Bradford too, he decent at geo imo.
Old 26 March 2015, 10:39 PM
tez7431
Scooby Regular

Cheers Busta. I can do all the geo stuff myself with no problems. just wanted to know if they or anyone use a simple guide. It was originally set to 2 degree neg on front and 1 degree neg on rear with tracking set at 1 degree toe in.
Old 27 March 2015, 11:06 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

The wheels will look very straight when going straight. However, when cornering, the tyres will load up and go from straight, into positive camber. This will mean you have a smaller contact patch of tyre on the road and therefore, less grip. Hence why people set the cars with negative camber.

You sacrifice grip when going straight (which requires less anyway) for increasing grip when cornering. So typically, less understeer when cornering with increased negative camber at the front. Everything is a compromise though; if you increase grip in one place, you will most likely loose it in another. All about finding the right balance. Your original settings looked very good for a track car but may have been a bit lairy on the road as a daily.
Old 27 March 2015, 11:45 AM
tez7431
Scooby Regular

It was originally set to 2 degree neg on front and 1 degree neg on rear with tracking set at 1 degree toe in.

Thanks Tecknopug for the info but im still not getting the answers im looking for, been reading some forums and some road cars are set upto 4 degree negative camber. basically who decides or what guides are used to set them up.

I can adjust mine to suit but looking for a good basic start to set too.
Old 27 March 2015, 11:58 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Road car or track? Everyone will be different as to how they want the car to behave. Some like more oversteer, some less. Some what aggressive cornering, others want to limit tyre wear. How are you going to use the car?

Mostly it's trial and error, particularly if it's a track car. If it's road, people tend to stick to one alignment (gets expensive otherwise). If you can do it yourself, then have a play about with settings and how the car responds. I'd suggest searching for the Prodrive settings - http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/...ings-here.html and using these as a base, then go from there.

I'm in a similar situation although mine is a newage WRX with relatively stock components, so my requirements and possibilities will be somewhat limited compared to yours.