Notices

Sti rear shock fault:(

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2014, 06:06 PM
Craigblobeye
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti rear shock fault:(

So had my blobeye sti for bout 8 weeks now after owning 2 classics I must say I love it ! Done a few things now
..fitted boost gauge
.. Full service
..renewed front discs n pads
.. Fitted rcm 340 fuel pump
Just waiting now to fit new front pipe remap at zen booked for 10th so all good their.
I would like to ask peoples apinions on kyb ultra sr shocks as I have the rear shock stick/knocking fault which isn't too bad but anoying as hell so I got to replace em I what to keep standard springs ect just simple replacement are they good quality ? If not wants better ££££ notes are getting tight with the remap this month but I got to get it sorted!!! Any help would be appreciated
Old 31 August 2014, 07:09 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

Sorry can't answer your KYB shocks question, when my rear struts went I brought some lithium white grease in a spray can from halfrauds jacked the rear up to expose the shocks and sprayed liberally, gave me a couple of months of knock free driving until I could afford some new ones.

Good luck

Regards
Neil
Old 31 August 2014, 07:34 PM
Craigblobeye
Scooby Newbie

Thanx bro I've done that was gonna strip down and regrease but the lower nut is rusted so they will need replaced have greased the shock for now tho thanx 😁👍👍
Old 02 September 2014, 10:21 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Craigblobeye
Thanx bro I've done that was gonna strip down and regrease but the lower nut is rusted so they will need replaced have greased the shock for now tho thanx 😁👍👍
They really need the grease in the chamber but as you have said if the bottom nut is corroded then its a pain to remove. It can be done though and then I think you could add grease nipples for future maintenance. Did this on my classic v5 sti shocks.
Old 03 September 2014, 07:46 AM
Craigblobeye
Scooby Newbie

Yer bud that's what I wanted to do but bottom nut and thread is absolutely f*cked tried to get it off but if I get it off the shock would be scrap so new is the way 😓😡
Old 03 September 2014, 09:20 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Ok, if its shot now anyway, drill the body in the right place between the 2 bearings and then pack with grease via a grease gun. Nothing to lose!
Old 10 September 2014, 10:12 PM
Rourkeysti
Scooby Newbie

As above. YouTube, grease nipple repair on impreza shock. That will give you the correct location on the shock body.
Only buy 45 or 90 degree nipples. You can't cut the threads back on a straight nipple.
Threads need cut back to suit the thickness of the shock body metal. This is to stop it fouling the shock ram.
Grease nipple fitted, just inject grease with a grease gun.
Lithium grease spray doesn't really work. I'm not convinced it gets past the shock seals.

I've done my rears and they work fine now. Started noticing the front offside sticking slightly. Apparently the fronts aren't usually a problem. Might end up stripping and doing the fronts also.

Cheers
Old 10 September 2014, 11:31 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Dont even bother with the nipple, just strip and pack with marine grade grease. 18mths ago mine were done never rattled since

Nuts were cut off mine in order to split them.
Old 11 September 2014, 03:05 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

get a air gun on the bottom nut and go flat out it will spin off
Old 11 September 2014, 09:18 PM
Rourkeysti
Scooby Newbie

I wouldn't advise going to all the hassle of stripping, cleaning, filling with grease and putting everything back together without spending an extra 15 minutes fitting a grease nipple.

I give my rears a quick top up every few weeks. Sometimes they take some, sometimes they don't. It's madness not to do it if it's stripped already. I will never do it again !
I enjoy working on my car, but that is not my idea of a fun filled day. Getting the hub bolts undone will be your first problem ! There is nothing hard about doing the job, it's just a little messy and time consuming on the strip and re-fit.

Heads up with undoing the bottom bolts.
Ring spanner on the nut side. Space is tight !
Socket, extension and breaker bar on the other side. This should be the side toward the front of the car. Hence more space to move. People say undo the nut side first, but I couldn't get it to move. Best get someone to hold the ring spanner while you use the breaker bar. If they have never been off, they are VERY tight !

All the best !

Cheers