Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Want to remove oe newage oval grill badge ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2011, 05:34 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to remove oe newage oval grill badge ?

Just bought a new aftermarket grill badge which I had especially produced in my own design , the badge has arrived and must admitt am very impressed with it but just not sure if it will be able to go in place off the original oval subaru front grill badge ? I know there are guides to removing these oe badges but not sure if the original is just a domed perspex type material stuck onto a plastc background or once removed it leaves an actual hole within the surround ??

the one I have here is just that an oval shaped gel like material with an adhesive backing, can this be placed on the original subaru oval backing once the original badge is removed ??
Old 16 November 2011, 06:38 PM
kewe
Scooby Regular

John the oe badge is hard and fills a recess in the grill. To remove it your best is to take the front grill of and heat the badge with a hair-dryer or something. You should then be able apply leverage from the rear to push it out. The new badge will then fit into the recess although it might not fill it as well as the hard badge. I did have a domed resin one but have ended up replacing it with a proper pink 'i' badge again.
Old 16 November 2011, 08:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As above, warm the grille, lever the badge out, but place card, or cloth, between screwdriver blade and grille edge, as it's easy to bruise that too.

An alternative method is to use fishing line, or doubled dental floss, feed it across the rear of the badge at one end, and use it in a "sawing" motion to cut through the sticky pad behind the badge.

Then remove any residue with WD40 and paper towels, plus some patience.
Old 16 November 2011, 09:53 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Hi guys thanks so much for your excellent advice will certainly make things slightly easier when I come to do it !!

one thing thou still a bit confused if the oval gel sticker I have here which is obviously been designed for the newage ie. in terms off size etc is going to be okay for replacing the original hard plastic domed badge ??

as I say this is just a gel type stick on oval shaped badge that could be say placed on a boot lid etc as opposed to an actual rigid badge that would fit within the hole in the grill for the badge itself.

can you confirm that if I say use your second method ie. say fishing line etc and cut thru the adhesive off the original badge this will just leave the rigid backing within the grill and I can simply stick this new one in its place ??

Update not the badge in question but this is the difference.

1/ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item3a6cb89e58

2/http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-WRC-555-Grille-Wing-Boot-Lid-Badge-/170722934815?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item27bfe1401f

Mine is the second type- link number 2 - be okay for fitting in the grill ??

Last edited by jono300; 16 November 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 16 November 2011, 10:13 PM
Bewick
Scooby Regular

Hi Jono just wondering what the quality is like on the badge you ordered. Also how long did it take to make and be delivered. And lastly how much was it for a one off design if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks. Dan
Old 16 November 2011, 10:35 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

No probs Dan,only took a couple off days to make up and send quality is spot on but as l say not 100% sure it will simply stick over the original backing,just need it clarified ?

Ordered via scoobybits-see link above price probably better getting in touch with them and getting a quote for work / design required.
Old 16 November 2011, 11:39 PM
kewe
Scooby Regular

I dont think the oe badge will come off and leave a hard backing still in place. it will leave the full recess in the grill and remove the badge completely. Your new badge will then go in and sit in the recess rather than protruding which i think the oe badge does slightly.

It's one of these things that's quite hard to describe but will become clear when you remove the old badge.

This is the badge I got of this site from a seller and you can see it's a proper hard plastic badge:-
Old 17 November 2011, 12:02 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks again mate appreciate that.