Styling Exterior styling

Roof rail delete fitting instructions

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2011, 05:25 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rail delete fitting instructions

Has anybody done this to a prefacelift classic wagon who could give me a guide on how to go about doing it.

Thanks in advance
Old 15 June 2011, 06:46 PM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/exteri...l-removal.html

try this one
Old 15 June 2011, 07:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, I'd START by not posting in the electrical section.............
Old 15 June 2011, 08:11 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure you have to remove the headlining as in that article given the rail bolt access is external
Old 15 June 2011, 08:59 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Well, I'd START by not posting in the electrical section.............
Lol, yeh, dont now how i managed that...

However, ive been and picked the kit up tonight from a guy called mark on here, had a real good chat, and he very kindly showed me exactly how to do it, it seems a bit simpler than i was thinking, you can go through the headlinng to detach the whole lot including brackets, but you can also do it from outside, the benefit of this being that the main bracket stays in place so no dodgy silicon over bolt holes risking water ingress, and the new delete trims cover the brackets anyway, so should do the trick, once fitted at weekend i,ll stick some piccies up for those who are interested.

Thanks for the advice, and if you are thinking of buying anything from mbdsti, you wont go wrong, really nice fella who knows his stuff, cheers mark.
Old 15 June 2011, 09:01 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
Lol, yeh, dont now how i managed that...

However, ive been and picked the kit up tonight from a guy called mark on here, had a real good chat, and he very kindly showed me exactly how to do it, it seems a bit simpler than i was thinking, you can go through the headlinng to detach the whole lot including brackets, but you can also do it from outside, the benefit of this being that the main bracket stays in place so no dodgy silicon over bolt holes risking water ingress, and the new delete trims cover the brackets anyway, so should do the trick, once fitted at weekend i,ll stick some piccies up for those who are interested.

Thanks for the advice, and if you are thinking of buying anything from mbdsti, you wont go wrong, really nice fella who knows his stuff, cheers mark.
Me I'd appreciate it something I'll be doing very soon
Old 15 June 2011, 09:17 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

No probs fella, i,ll try and take some whilst dong it so it gives you an idea of how it goes.

Missed out on your old racetube exhaust earlier on as well, i was gutted after hearing the soundclip you put on tje fellas thread, think ive commented on your wagon before, but it,s a stunner, where did you get the type wa stickers from??
Old 15 June 2011, 09:25 PM
Scooby Senior

That would be cool, cheers

My mate Mark made them for me. Type WA was just a giggle, started with the RA/WA sticker on the back and then I wanted more lol. Not a huge sticker fan but as a one off I thought it would be cool

I am sure Mark could make another batch for you

Race Tube is awesome, wish I had kept it tbh, everything I sell atm is 6Speed money and every penny counts so it had to go. I sold the H&S centre pipe aswell which was made on my car and it's not the same with the new quiet cobra centre

RT was 107db on tick over !

Going to vinyl my roof and de-rail at the same time.

Last edited by 53; 15 June 2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Internet Explorer cannot display FAIL !!!
Old 15 June 2011, 09:43 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Ive found the racetube website, so will be going that way soon enough i reckon, if your mate could do a set that would be great, let me know how much he wants and i,ll sort something out with him.

Ive just bought another boot lid with the larger genuine sti spoilers, was thinking of getting it wrapped in gloss carbon then possibly doing the roof afterwards, but will see how things go, everything takes the pennies, normally my missus for bills!! Lol
Old 16 June 2011, 08:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 53WRX
That would be cool, cheers

Going to vinyl my roof and de-rail at the same time.
A vinyl roof? How 70's.................
Old 16 June 2011, 05:58 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

ok, so ive finally managed to do something to my car with my own fair hands without nausing it up or breaking anything!!!!

bought a roof rail delete kit, and set about fitting it this afternoon, i must say that if you are considering doing this mod and are worried about it being difficult, let me assure you that its remarkably easy, i was really surprised.

there are 2 ways of doing this mod, you can do it by unbolting the whole thing from beneath the roof lining, but you can also do it from the roof rail itself, which is first of all easier, and second of all, because you dont disturb the main fixings that pass through the roof, you dont risk any water ingress into the car. the brackets that are left by doing it from above are covered by the new strips anyway, so makes no difference to the overall look.

first of all, pop the caps off both ends of the roof rail itself, underneath you will find 2 torx screws with the dimple type of head, so will need a special torx fitting to get them off, i bought a set from machine mart for 7 quid. undo the 2 torx fittings at both ends of the roof rail, and it will lift off the roof. at this point be careful, as my rails are in the 3 parts and they only slot together, so have the ability to fall off if tipped up the wrong way, possibly damaging the car.

you will be left with something that looks like this

now the slightly tricky bit, the rail trims that are left are in 2 pieces, in order to get them out, you need to tip them from the back edge towards you gently but firm, until you pop the first one, then the entire trim piece will slide out with care. leaving you with this..

ok, time to fit the new strips, there is a little trick to this, as the trim that runs down the side of the windscreen is curved towards the bottom end, so wont slide through easily even at an angle, so, pop the very bottom end into the slot at the bottom of the widscreen, then position the trim over the clips that are left in place, again tip them towards you from the back edge, which will allow the front lip to pass over the clip, then give it a gentle knock backwards and it should just clip into place, repeat this all the way along mto the back, making sure that the end caps are in before you pop the last one down and into position.

this is what you are left with

obviously ive only done the one side with pictures on this post, but it is exactly the same on the other side.

i was that impressed with my afternoons work, took about an hour in total being careful, that i fitted a set of crystal fog lamps as well

Last edited by wrxsti280; 16 June 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 16 June 2011, 06:13 PM
Scooby Senior

Excellent , get some more car pics up soon

When you removed the rail caps to reveal the screws didyou pop the cap from the top or bottom ?

Last edited by 53; 16 June 2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 16 June 2011, 06:20 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Excellent , get some more car pics up soon

When you removed the rail caps to reveal the screws didyou pop the cap from the top or bottom ?
i'll sort some more pics once she's been cleaned on saturday, as its bloody filthy at the minute, needs a damn good clean and polish.

the caps were a little bit fiddly to get off, each one came off slightly differently if that makes sense, it was a case of a very small flathead screwdriver under the bottom and wiggling it around a bit, i kind of popped the bottom upwardsa nd out and then the top is kind of hooked in, not a great description, but hopefully it helps.
Old 16 June 2011, 06:22 PM
Scooby Senior

cool, when you removed the trim did you start boot end or bonnet end to slide out ?
Old 16 June 2011, 06:25 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

replied to your pm mate with further details