Notices
Styling Exterior styling

STI8 Spoiler - Genuine or Replica?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2009, 11:33 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STI8 Spoiler - Genuine or Replica?

Hi guys,

Having decided to change the boot lip on my 05 WRX (and much chatting with BlueBugEye) im faced with another problem - Do i buy the lighter, cheaper replica:

Impreza Blob Eye (2003-2005) : Subaru Impreza STI8 STI 8 Rear Spoiler Wing 2001-2007

or... the genuine sti spoiler??:

Impreza Blob Eye (2003-2005) : Subaru Impreza STI Rear Spoiler

Lets for a moment, pretend price isnt the issue... what will fit the best on my standard boot setup? i dont want the spoiler to effect the opening / closing of the boot or the handling of the car etc etc...

what do you guys think??
Old 28 April 2009, 11:48 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

well the car in the first link is mine, Scoobyworld had a few pictures off me when I fitted the PU replica one. It fitted very well and in 12 months has not shown any signs of paint lifting or bubbling so I would recommend one, only issue is the brake light is not as genuine it is black and fitted in a slightly different place to the original, it is still heavy enough to require care when closing the boot ( I still haven't got round to buying the uprated boot lift spring). It depends what you want really I would say the PU replica one is one of the best replicas out there but it depends what you want. I went for it because it was about the same cost as a used genuine one but I knew the paint would be perfect, I didn't want the hassle of getting one painted and that even a slight mark on a used one would have bugged me. Just take your time fitting whichever you choose.
Old 28 April 2009, 11:50 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
well the car in the first link is mine, Scoobyworld had a few pictures off me when I fitted the PU replica one. It fitted very well and in 12 months has not shown any signs of paint lifting or bubbling so I would recommend one, only issue is the brake light is not as genuine it is black and fitted in a slightly different place to the original, it is still heavy enough to require care when closing the boot ( I still haven't got round to buying the uprated boot lift spring). It depends what you want really I would say the PU replica one is one of the best replicas out there but it depends what you want. I went for it because it was about the same cost as a used genuine one but I knew the paint would be perfect, I didn't want the hassle of getting one painted and that even a slight mark on a used one would have bugged me. Just take your time fitting whichever you choose.
hi daz - thanks for the heads up dude! ive been search like ALL night and ive also come across:

STi 7

apprently no drilling required??? what do u think to this one?
Old 29 April 2009, 07:15 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Personally I think that you will need extra holes or at least adhesive to hold the centre section down. I have been in touch with DR re. their 'prodrive' style front bumper which they no longer stock. As far as I'm aware they use Rallytech parts which are GRP therefore to be avoided!
As Daz says, I went for the PU Scoobyworld one as there are no genuine ones out there in Dark Blue Mica as my colour was not a standard Sti colour. Honestly I'd say the ideal option would be a genuine in the same colour as your car in excellent condition from a breakers, however the Replica freshly pained to match will be the same price/less! Your call.
Old 29 April 2009, 08:47 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
Personally I think that you will need extra holes or at least adhesive to hold the centre section down. I have been in touch with DR re. their 'prodrive' style front bumper which they no longer stock. As far as I'm aware they use Rallytech parts which are GRP therefore to be avoided!
As Daz says, I went for the PU Scoobyworld one as there are no genuine ones out there in Dark Blue Mica as my colour was not a standard Sti colour. Honestly I'd say the ideal option would be a genuine in the same colour as your car in excellent condition from a breakers, however the Replica freshly pained to match will be the same price/less! Your call.
Thats a shame i didnt want to start drilling through my bootlid really cos if /when i come to sell the car I can take all the "extras" off and flog the car standard - i know ppl have suggested buying another bootlid but that is rather alot of hassel! lol

What is GRP? just fibreglass? how prone to "damage" are these?
Old 29 April 2009, 05:42 PM
chrisnorm17
Scooby Regular

wat about the janspeed ones are they anygood??
Old 30 April 2009, 01:09 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

If you don't want to drill the boot look out for the prodrive rear spoilers as they are ok and can be picked up reasonable cost.
Old 03 May 2009, 07:34 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Got two choices on the Prodrive ones too - I believe both the UK300 and GB270 will fit.
Old 03 May 2009, 10:28 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

I rung up subaru on friday asking about a genuine prodrive (uk300) spoiler.... £995 - but it does come painted!! (the guy said)... he sounded a bit miffed when i said id rather buy a replica for £300 lol

anyway - i ordered the sti8 spoiler from DR Motorsport last week! The bloke seems a really nice guy and very helpful! I explained that i didnt want the spoiler to me perm. so when i sell car, i can (if i wanted) put the orginal boot lip back on, he said its a bit of an **** to get the moulding tape off, but its possible without drilling!

i'm planning on doing a little photo fitting diary when it comes next week if anyone is interested! there doesnt seem to be any on here with any close ups on the spoiler, and it does seem to be a popular mod! I know u guys have probably heard it all before but once the spoiler is on the only mod im doing is changing the colour of the wheels then im leaving it lol.........maybe...... lol
Old 03 May 2009, 10:36 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Yeah I think I remember saying that before, Now I have coilovers and AP brakes on the way!
Old 03 May 2009, 10:45 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
Yeah I think I remember saying that before, Now I have coilovers and AP brakes on the way!
lol - i've only had car about 2wks and so far ive spent £50 on new wrx genuine mats, £170 on backbox + fitting, £325 on spoiler + postage and £35 for a green cotton filter (which i dont think has made any difference lol)
Old 03 May 2009, 11:05 AM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Ive got the scoobyworld one and drilled the additional like 12 holes in bootlid and there tiger sealed it down, no probs, Previous i have the Prodrive spoiler but if i was putting in the sti spoiler i would make sure its got the extra holes
Old 03 May 2009, 11:08 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -shane-
Ive got the scoobyworld one and drilled the additional like 12 holes in bootlid and there tiger sealed it down, no probs, Previous i have the Prodrive spoiler but if i was putting in the sti spoiler i would make sure its got the extra holes
yeh i was a little dubious at first, but after a couple emails to DRM he put my mind at risk the 4 bolts are the main anchors for the spoiler, but they use that M3 moulding tape which apparently is very very strong and once set DRM said you could probably even remove the bolts (which is a bit of a bolt statement, and one which i wont be testing lol)

I'll let you guys know how i get on next week - theyre ryt busy at the moment apparently and theres a que - which is a good sign i guess!
Old 03 May 2009, 04:12 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxwill05
yeh i was a little dubious at first, but after a couple emails to DRM he put my mind at risk the 4 bolts are the main anchors for the spoiler, but they use that M3 moulding tape which apparently is very very strong and once set DRM said you could probably even remove the bolts (which is a bit of a bolt statement, and one which i wont be testing lol)

I'll let you guys know how i get on next week - theyre ryt busy at the moment apparently and theres a que - which is a good sign i guess!
I think ur a brave man using just the 4 bolts, Even with the amount i have, you can see the pressure on the spoiler when doing 70 80mph
Old 03 May 2009, 04:37 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -shane-
I think ur a brave man using just the 4 bolts, Even with the amount i have, you can see the pressure on the spoiler when doing 70 80mph
ill find out next week! lol ill obviously wait a few weeks for the bond to cure before doing high speed... if it rips it off ill be a little p*ssed lol
Old 03 May 2009, 05:05 PM
fasterdad
Scooby Regular

mines been on 6 months, a genuine STi RB320 spoiler using 4 bolts and 3m tape. No problems at all and more likely to pull the boot off...
Old 03 May 2009, 05:28 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Looks well smart mate - even better u got a genuine!!!
it does totall transform the car - cant wait to get mine on - the more WRXs i see with sti spoilers the more jealous i get lol
Old 04 May 2009, 10:53 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

wot sealant can u use to stick these down. also i have a spoiler but i can get to 2 holes on the boot but other 2 i cant (nearer the window).
Old 04 May 2009, 12:57 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
wot sealant can u use to stick these down. also i have a spoiler but i can get to 2 holes on the boot but other 2 i cant (nearer the window).
iirc its the 3M moulding tape... i had a quick look look at my "bolts" and it looks like its the same socket? if you can wait im going to do a full photo fitting guide for the DRM spoiler - its summet i liek doing (cos im a bit sad) and its always helpful for user users!
Old 04 May 2009, 01:06 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

its not sad at all mate. i find it very good working on your own car an being helpful to other people with same problems. thanks alot mate. at the mo i will be painting mine but when coming to the other holes to hold the front of the spoiler down well looks like u cant get a bolt to them. so if cant get to it im hoping glue an tape hold front down while bolts at the bak will keep it secure
Old 04 May 2009, 01:40 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

Hi
sorry to jump on thread ,could any one give me a link so i can buy the mounting tape as i need some for my spoiler,
or a stockist thanks
beanys
Old 04 May 2009, 01:57 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beanys
Hi
sorry to jump on thread ,could any one give me a link so i can buy the mounting tape as i need some for my spoiler,
or a stockist thanks
beanys
Hi mate,
i did a quick search on ebay and couldnt find any UK stockists - u can import some from the USA:

eBay Motors: 3M MOLDING TAPE - 7/8in x 5FT - 03615 - ITEM IS NEW (item 140315221639 end time Apr-30-09 14:32:34 PDT)

if you didnt want to import something like this might do the job (i dont know how strong it is compared to the 3m stuff!)

DOUBLE SIDED MOULDING TAPE 9MM- HIGH STRENGTH ADHESIVE on eBay, also, Paint Body Shop Supplies, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 29-May-09 09:39:30 BST)
Old 04 May 2009, 02:52 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

thankx for you help wrxwill05
Old 06 May 2009, 07:20 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

On the tape front, I've had to remove my rear spoiler for a repair job, mine had washer size pieces of the tape to fit around the bolt holes, and after removing all the bolts it was very difficult to remove. Two grown men pulling on the spoiler almost lifting the car off the ground! This was only 12 2cm disks of the stuff! I think that with 4 bolts and the tape it will hold!

Only concern is will you be able to pull the centre section down to the boot using just the tape - no doubt it will hold it but how will you 'force' it down if needed?