Styling Exterior styling

Gel coat finish ??

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2008, 07:15 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gel coat finish ??

The new bonnet scoop I am planning on purchasing for the car is advertised as having a gel coat, bit confused as to what exactly this means ?? does it mean that the item can be sprayed up straight on this surface or will a primer still be required ??

cheers
Old 05 September 2008, 03:11 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
The new bonnet scoop I am planning on purchasing for the car is advertised as having a gel coat, bit confused as to what exactly this means ?? does it mean that the item can be sprayed up straight on this surface or will a primer still be required ??

cheers
gel coat finish is how it comes out of the mould, i'm assuming it's a fibreglass jobbie?

if so, it'll need to be primered. might be a plasticiser(?) primer, but not sure if that just apllies to plastics

i think he's describing it like that so you know you'll have to do all the prep work to it rather than just the spraying
Old 05 September 2008, 04:25 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks mate appreciatte the advice, yep the bonnet scoop is fibre glass. so basically it will just require a primer and a couple off coats off spray paint to be ready to fit ?? the actual finish requires no other work ??

sorry for the questions its just a bit new to me this side off things !!!
Old 05 September 2008, 04:37 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay thanks mate appreciatte the advice, yep the bonnet scoop is fibre glass. so basically it will just require a primer and a couple off coats off spray paint to be ready to fit ?? the actual finish requires no other work ??

sorry for the questions its just a bit new to me this side off things !!!
no worries, i do a little bit of fibreglassing at work. that's the only reason i know a tiny bit

depends what the quality is like and how good you need the finsh to be. easiest bet is to give it to a body shop and let them do the hard work, but if you fancy giving it a crack it's worth starting a thread on how to paint fibreglass, there's a few paint guys on here that'll give much better advice than i can

googled this Prepping and painting Fibreglass - The Mini Forum post 6 looks about right for a guide.

Last edited by hoskib; 05 September 2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05 September 2008, 04:48 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Again appreciatte the advice , will check out your link.

thanks
Old 09 September 2008, 08:23 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
no worries, i do a little bit of fibreglassing at work. that's the only reason i know a tiny bit

depends what the quality is like and how good you need the finsh to be. easiest bet is to give it to a body shop and let them do the hard work, but if you fancy giving it a crack it's worth starting a thread on how to paint fibreglass, there's a few paint guys on here that'll give much better advice than i can

googled this Prepping and painting Fibreglass - The Mini Forum post 6 looks about right for a guide.

Okay looking for a bit more advice regards this bonnet scoop I now have here with me, now feel confident enough thanks to your very helpful link to have ago at spraying up the bonnet scoop itself, the thing I am unsure about is just how exactly you go about getting the scoop to actually sit right on the bonnet ?? as it is the scoop will not sit level, do you have to build up around the base off it or what ??

again the scoop is being mounted on the bonnet for cosmettic only reasons and as such will not have to actually cut into bonnet skin.

now very confused !! but as a small project would rather at least have ago myself if anyone could kindly offer any advice.

cheers