Notices
Styling Exterior styling

does a genuine STI 7 rear spoiler have any identifying marks on it?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2005, 07:18 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does a genuine STI 7 rear spoiler have any identifying marks on it?

as above please-do they have a certain stamp on there underside so you know its a genuine STI 7 spoiler or not?
Old 08 March 2005, 08:26 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
as above please-do they have a certain stamp on there underside so you know its a genuine STI 7 spoiler or not?
I believe mine had a pressed code plate on the underside, has the spoiler got studs on the underside ( 2 lengths )
Old 09 March 2005, 08:31 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

mine does have a pressed mark on the underneath of it on the drivers side about 2.5 inches by 1 inch with all squares on it plus a very faint-made in spain stamp-does this make it a genuine one and not a copy? not sure what u mean about studs? i can see 2 that look like raw plugs on the outersides under the overhangs where it overhangs the back wings-presumably the screws which hold the 2 halfs together are in there?

Originally Posted by monty baber
I believe mine had a pressed code plate on the underside, has the spoiler got studs on the underside ( 2 lengths )
Old 09 March 2005, 03:54 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

mine does have a pressed mark on the underneath of it on the drivers side about 2.5 inches by 1 inch with all squares on it plus a very faint-made in spain stamp-does this make it a genuine one and not a copy? not sure what u mean about studs? i can see 2 that look like raw plugs on the outersides under the overhangs where it overhangs the back wings-presumably the screws which hold the 2 halfs together are in there?
On the genuine spoilers ( like I have just fitted ) have around a dozen 6mm threaded studs ( some around 2"long and some around 1" long ) that are fixed into the bottom of the spoiler.

You have to drill holes in your bootlid to bolt the spoiler on, some people grind the studs off leaving the original 4 fixings ( so you dont have to drill the boot ) but I found fitting it easy enough.

Hope that helps mate ( I was going to take pics but could'nt wait to fit it )
Old 09 March 2005, 07:33 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

i didn't fit spoiler so i dont know how many studs it had on bottom-any other ways to tell?

On the genuine spoilers ( like I have just fitted ) have around a dozen 6mm threaded studs ( some around 2"long and some around 1" long ) that are fixed into the bottom of the spoiler.

You have to drill holes in your bootlid to bolt the spoiler on, some people grind the studs off leaving the original 4 fixings ( so you dont have to drill the boot ) but I found fitting it easy enough.

Hope that helps mate ( I was going to take pics but could'nt wait to fit it )
Old 09 March 2005, 08:51 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

i didn't fit spoiler so i dont know how many studs it had on bottom-any other ways to tell?
Have you got nuts on the underside of the bootlid or bolts, if its nuts ( with a captive washer ) then its most probably geniune, if its bolts going up into the spoiler then its a copy
Old 10 March 2005, 07:48 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

will go look now

Have you got nuts on the underside of the bootlid or bolts, if its nuts ( with a captive washer ) then its most probably geniune, if its bolts going up into the spoiler then its a copy
Old 10 March 2005, 08:04 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

just looked and i can see is four studs holding it on-these are studs with nuts etc on-on the bottom of the studs is a hexagonal hole to fit an allen key but they are defo studs and not bolts
Old 15 March 2005, 08:13 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

just looked and i can see is four studs holding it on-these are studs with nuts etc on-on the bottom of the studs is a hexagonal hole to fit an allen key but they are defo studs and not bolts
Sorry been away at Crufts, sounds like a replica purely because if the head of the bolt is visible on the underside ( sounds like allen bolts ) then it is bolted into the spoiler from under the bootlid

hope that helps
Old 15 March 2005, 08:17 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Just wondered, why do you need to know? I've got a replica STi V spoiler on mine and no-one's ever commented on it being "fake" I supposeit's worth knowing if you are buying it, just to make sure youare not being ripped off, but otherwise, stick it on however you like (althought i'd suggest the boot lid would be a good place ) and go pose
Old 16 March 2005, 08:16 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

no what i meant is i can see a stud there but a but is screwed onto this stud,so as best as i can tell the studs are fastened onto the spoiler permantly then these poke thro holes in boot and then a nut is screwed onto this from inside boot

Sorry been away at Crufts, sounds like a replica purely because if the head of the bolt is visible on the underside ( sounds like allen bolts ) then it is bolted into the spoiler from under the bootlid

hope that helps
Old 16 March 2005, 08:26 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

reason i want to know is this-about 3 year ago i brought an sti replica spoiler from a subaru dealer as they was doing them for about half price of the genuine ones-anyway in time the paint started to go funny in a few places on it so i complained and waited and waited and was told it was a reaction between the plastic and the paint and they was trying to get new ones made to solve problem, so i waited for a whole year and eventually played my face up to dealer and said i wanted it sorted,so only way they could fix problem was they said to fit my car with a genuine sti 7 spoiler-so basically i wanted to check it was a genuine one they had put on car as obviously when i come to sell car i will take spoiler off to sell seperately and need to know if its genuine as this will make it worth a lot more then a replica one

Originally Posted by Gridlock Mikey
Just wondered, why do you need to know? I've got a replica STi V spoiler on mine and no-one's ever commented on it being "fake" I supposeit's worth knowing if you are buying it, just to make sure youare not being ripped off, but otherwise, stick it on however you like (althought i'd suggest the boot lid would be a good place ) and go pose
Old 16 March 2005, 10:52 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

reason i want to know is this-about 3 year ago i brought an sti replica spoiler from a subaru dealer as they was doing them for about half price of the genuine ones-anyway in time the paint started to go funny in a few places on it so i complained and waited and waited and was told it was a reaction between the plastic and the paint and they was trying to get new ones made to solve problem, so i waited for a whole year and eventually played my face up to dealer and said i wanted it sorted,so only way they could fix problem was they said to fit my car with a genuine sti 7 spoiler-so basically i wanted to check it was a genuine one they had put on car as obviously when i come to sell car i will take spoiler off to sell seperately and need to know if its genuine as this will make it worth a lot more then a replica one
It looks as though the spoiler is genuine then but it looks like the extra studs have been ground off, I wanted to use all avaliable fixings on mine for obvious reasons, the downside to this is drilling extra holes in the bootlid.

my feelings are that if I sell it I will sell bootlid complete with swap for original, but to be honest I may get hit by a bus tommorrow ( or even a sti spoiler with ground off studs ) so who cares
Old 02 April 2005, 01:42 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

funny one this-can anyone measure the length please across the top of the spoiler on there STI 7 please