Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2004, 11:45 PM
wakeydave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dr motorsports ?

just seen the sti v5 or v6 spoiler on dr motorsports website, looks ok
my 22b rep has just been ripped off!!!

just wondering if anyone knows if they're good quality, since they spray them aswell i'll only have to get it fitted and £350 sound like good value
Old 06 June 2004, 09:09 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Service and products are excellent, in my experience. Likewise, the paintwork.
Old 06 June 2004, 09:23 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Jasoon has just got a rallytech spoiler from them, he might be able to comment on the quality and maybe some pics?

I've got an STI8 replica on the way this week, so I'll post pics when thats on too.
Old 06 June 2004, 09:54 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

The products from drmotorsport are fantastic quality and the fitting is perfect.Also the colour matching on the spoilers etc are incredible well worth doing business with
big thumbs up from me
scooby-tc (posted on wrong name again)
Old 06 June 2004, 04:16 PM
wakeydave
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the help guys!

i think i'lll buy the sti5 spoiler for my '94wrx
just gotta find somewhere to fit it properly, i think the last one was fitted by stevie wonder!!!
Old 07 June 2004, 07:44 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I bought a Rallytech rear spoiler before few months, very good quality and paint and the best price around...
JIM
Old 07 June 2004, 09:52 AM
wakeydave
Scooby Regular

i might try to fit it myself, it sound easy enough?
the spoiler uses the original mounting holes, just one question, how do the original mounting holes work?
i've got the original spoiler(the little one!) and i tried putting that back on but it just sits in rubber holes on the bootlid i can't see a way of fastening it, i'm probably being really stupid & missing an obvious way of doing it but any help would be appreciated
Old 07 June 2004, 10:58 AM
n one
Scooby Regular

wakeydave, I`ve recently ordered from them `cause of various comments, all good. Hopefully it`ll be delivered in the next few days so then I can judge for myself.

Neil.
Old 07 June 2004, 12:39 PM
wakeydave
Scooby Regular

just had a look at the original mounting holes and i still can't see a way to fasten a spoiler, am i just really stupid or wot?
Old 07 June 2004, 01:22 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

wakeydave - I've fitted the sti6 spoiler to my 98UK to replace the 'small' original - had it from David at DR - Can't recommend him enough....

I did add some extra holes, and I think you'll need to do the same.

The original is easy to remove - open the boot lid and look at the bottom of it - you'll see some 'gold' coloured studs with nuts on - they hold the old spoiler on. You remove these and unclip the brake light connection and it comes off....

I fitted the new spoiler with the boot lid closed (2 man job really - place it where you want it with the boot shut). Crawl inside the boot via the rear seats. (Need a torch!) Then I marked the bottom of the new spoiler, through the existing bolt holes.

Get out of the car and remove the spoiler. Small pilot drill in each of the marks that you made. Screw in the studs. Spoiler back on (boot lid closed still) and crawl back in. Put the nuts on the studs.

You are now free to add extra holes. I did this by removing the spoiler (again) and putting engineers blue on the bottom of the spoiler, where I wanted the holes. I re-placed the spoiler and removed it. This leaves a mark where the holes should be drilled - which I did. Spoiler on and bolts fitted - Jobs a good'un..

Mark

Old 07 June 2004, 01:26 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

PS _ Ripped off how ?
Old 07 June 2004, 10:53 PM
wakeydave
Scooby Regular

some bloody ****** tried to rip it off while i was parked in town, they ended up bending it so it won't sit properly at one end now and they ripped the studs out of the bottom, a right mess mate!

PS wot the flip's engineers blue?
Old 08 June 2004, 08:32 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Its a greasy compound, a bit like a wax - its deep blue in colour and is used to check where surfaces mate.

e.g. place it on a flat surface (a), which should sit on another flat surface (b). Put the two together and then remove them. The places where the 2 surfaces touch are marked with blue on surface b.

Hope that makes sense ....

Mark
Old 08 June 2004, 08:59 AM
wakeydave
Scooby Regular

where would i get engineers blue or similar?

this job's sounding more complicated than i thought! how much do you think a bodyshop would charge to just fit it?
Old 08 June 2004, 10:31 AM
n one
Scooby Regular

wakeydave, its a straight forward job, I`m sure your more than capable.

Neil.
Old 08 June 2004, 12:16 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

just use a blob of grease if you've not got any blue....

Took me about an hour or so, with my 12 yr. old lads help to support the spoiler

Mark
Old 08 June 2004, 02:23 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

We can supply sticky pads, that can be put around the extra holes to be drilled. These stick to the bootlid and show where to drill the holes.

Our official line is to drill some extra holes when fitting an STi rear spoiler (just like the official Subaru spoiler). However very few owners do so, and simply use the original 4 holes. If your doing it this way, a good double sided tape can also be used across the centre of the bootlid.

Anyway, thanks for all the nice comments from everyone.

David
Old 08 June 2004, 02:26 PM
wakeydave
Scooby Regular

i'm definatley getting a spoiler from dr but i don't know which one now!!!

i like the sti5 and 6 but i'm not sure which one is more my taste on a '94 wrx!
a mate of mine has got the sti5 bottom and the sti6 top!!! and it looks very high, just don't know which to get?
Old 08 June 2004, 06:53 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

plenty of pictures of David's STI6 spoiler on my 98 uk model at wildsworld

Mark

PS - The splitter is one of David's too (P1) .....
Old 08 June 2004, 06:57 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

We can supply sticky pads, that can be put around the extra holes to be drilled. These stick to the bootlid and show where to drill the holes
I always wondered what they were for,ill bear that in mind when i order another one which will be soon as my DRM rear wing has started cracking a little bit
Old 08 June 2004, 11:01 PM
wakeydave
Scooby Regular

scooby-tc, wot do u mean your rear wing's started cracking a little bit, are you telling me that drm spoilers don't last very long?
Old 08 June 2004, 11:44 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Last one i had on my old wrx lasted for the 3 years i had the car and i believe is still going strong.The recent one i got has a few cracks appearing,probably just a dodgy one off but you can rest assured that davids products are A1 and i wouldnt hesitate in using him for all my styling parts (which i have done)
Old 09 June 2004, 12:26 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

I'll be using David for my facelift bumper ... once i get some more pennys .... was happy with everything he has done b4
Old 09 June 2004, 07:38 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

i've seen a few spoilers with cracks in the top corners, i thinks its just due the pressure which is put on them,
if you look at the top wing and line it up with anything in your rear screen then look at it again at speed you'll see how much its forced down, which can cause a few cracks at the sides,
Old 10 June 2004, 05:37 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Another vote For David at DR motorsport, I'Ve had an STI6 spoiler, 22b vents and a P1 lip, which I need to replace and DR will be getting my cheque again.
Old 12 June 2004, 08:09 AM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I just picked up my sti-8 spoiler yesterday from David at D.R Motorsport.I decided on it after recommendations on scoobynet. Let me assure everyone that its as good as anything you would buy from the Dealers.Only difference is the dealer was wanting £1000 (no thats not a mistake) to fit this to my week old Wrx

I ordered the spoiler 10 days ago and picked it up,it was all safely wrapped in bubble wrap and i wasn't disapointed when i opened it .The paintwork and the fit is excellent and has totally transformed the car.

So thanks David for for a great product promptly supplied and also a thank you to Mrs Reid for Waiting in so i could pick it up
Old 14 June 2004, 10:55 PM
G TOMO
Scooby Regular

I also took delivery of my STI 8 spoiler last week from DR Motorsport.

This is as good as copy spoilers get, the fit & paint finish are excellent, and I used all 10 fixing points just to be shure.

My mate has a pukka Subaru spoiler on his STI 7, & side by side, you have to look really hard to spot the diference.

I used the double sided trim tape from Halfords (as recomended in the instructions) around the boot lid & LED brake light. I also put a ring of silacone sealant around each of the holes in the boot lid, to stop water from getting in & it dosn't leak, even when jet washed.

One more thing ! ........ the original spoiler shakes a fair bit at speeds over 80 MPH, I have done 140 ish LOL, and this one is rock solid !

A top product at a top price, I would recomend them to anyone.

G TOMO
Old 15 June 2004, 08:22 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

G TOMO. How did you mark the hole points? I tried laying layers of masking tape and fitting the spoiler, but it didn't mark them. Then I used crayon around the holes, but no good. So I gave up

I wonder if there is any way to find out now where the holes are - is a drilling template available? I'd be happy to drill if I knew where - but its not coming off again anytime soon. Hopefully

Mine is also now here, and fitted (4 holes and tape - ooh!), and it is a top quality bit of kit. Many thanks to DR motorsport.
Old 15 June 2004, 08:27 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

mrklaw - see my earlier post in the thread wrt 'engineers blue'

Bit late now its on though....

Mark
Old 18 June 2004, 08:58 PM
G TOMO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrklaw
G TOMO. How did you mark the hole points? I tried laying layers of masking tape and fitting the spoiler, but it didn't mark them. Then I used crayon around the holes, but no good. So I gave up

I wonder if there is any way to find out now where the holes are - is a drilling template available? I'd be happy to drill if I knew where - but its not coming off again anytime soon. Hopefully

Mine is also now here, and fitted (4 holes and tape - ooh!), and it is a top quality bit of kit. Many thanks to DR motorsport.

mrklaw,

I fitted 4 bits of M6 allthread (threaded bar that has no head) about 3 inches long in the four holes in the spoiler that line up with the old holes in the boot,

I fitted the rest of the screws that came with the spioler in the other holes, & screwed them all the way in.

I coverd the boot lid with paper.

Then I put a spot of paint on each of the screwheads,

I then lowerd the spoiler onto the boot lid, using the allthread to locate the spoiler in the correct place, then pressed it firmly down.

This left a blob of paint in each of the new drilling positions,

I removed the spoiler & drilled the holes,

Just remember to paint the bare metal to stop it rusting.

Hope you understand that !

G TOMO

Quick Reply: dr motorsports ?