Styling Exterior styling

Subaru world rally team decals - Urgent help

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2004, 04:29 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Subaru world rally team decals - Urgent help

I am about to buy a set of the Rally decals, but MY97 Scooby is Red...Does anyone know where i can find pics / examples of the yellow stickers on a Red Car......

Thanks...

Sam
Old 18 February 2004, 05:24 PM
John WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go for gold mate.
Do you mind me asking how much your paying as ill guarentee i will beat it.
Old 18 February 2004, 05:26 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Mail me...and i will give details

Sam@quadnet.co.uk

Also do you have any pics of it on a car?

Sam

Last edited by SamUK; 18 February 2004 at 05:28 PM. Reason: pics
Old 18 February 2004, 08:03 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

John

Im paying 40 quid for the whole lot, the official stuff too, in Luminous Yellow can you match that LOL
Have you got any pics of Franks car in Gold?

Sam I can vouch for Johns work btw
Old 18 February 2004, 08:42 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It ain't "official" Sonic, as SWRT don't sell their livery to the general public.

Having said that, 40 quid for a complete set of vinyl stickers is very cheap, it costs us over £200 to get a rallycar fully liveried.
Old 18 February 2004, 08:46 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
in Luminous Yellow
As in glow in the dark?
Old 18 February 2004, 08:56 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

GM I know

I thought it was 400 to get a rallycar fully liveried

40 quid is cheap, the final cost maybe closer to 50 quid tho, have to fit em myself tho for that price, which Im sure will be very character building !!

SB I dont think they 'glow' in the dark havent checked, they are just bright lumious/flourescent yellow exactly as you see on the SWRT Cars
Old 18 February 2004, 09:35 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Question

Well this is what i was goign to purchase...Again, not sure if it will suite MY97 which is Red....Though im not intrested in the STI Stickers...

-------------------------------------------------------

2 large yellow Subaru world rally team decals that go on the side of the car.They have 'world rally team' written underneath the word 'Subaru'. £30 the pair.
2 small STi decals in yellow, identical in looks and size to the ones used on the rally car, but in yellow. £12 the pair
1 bonnet decal in yellow, says 'Subaru' does not say 'world rally team below. Again, same size as on rally car. £10
1 windscreen decal in yellow, no background, says 'Subaru', then the words 'world rally team' below it. £10

Total is £62. I will accept £50
Old 18 February 2004, 10:28 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

suggest u check the fluro vinyl is a long term vinyl as most fluros are interior only and loose colour after a couple of months
Old 19 February 2004, 12:12 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

rb5 it is only the 3 month vinyl, but it is the same price as 7 year vinyl, the supposed 7 year luminous vinyl is not luminous in comparison to the proper stuff
Old 19 February 2004, 06:58 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

i cant beleive the price u are paying for the vinyls, especilly as its fluro!!!

cost me about £75 in materials for the 7yr stuff
Old 19 February 2004, 08:23 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Its about 2 quid a metre for either 7 year or fluro
Old 19 February 2004, 09:10 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Is anyone here talking to me?
Old 19 February 2004, 05:59 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic
I thought it was 400 to get a rallycar fully liveried
It's not like there's a fixed cost, all depends on where you go, the complexity, and of course the quality of the vinyl. Think the full body wrap printed jobs on Steve Perez' cars cost about £2K a pop, to give an idea of the extreme end of the envelope.

The SWRT cars will be restickered before every event, and as a result the graphics will be supplied in bulk, reducing the cost per set markedly.

40 quid is cheap, the final cost maybe closer to 50 quid tho, have to fit em myself tho for that price, which Im sure will be very character building !!
As the others have said, I'd have to ask questions about the quality and longevity of the vinyl at that price. The other issue is the type of adhesive used. The stuff we get is guaranteed to lift without leaving any residue, or paint damage, which saves us a lot of cleaning time, but may be more important to you if/when you decide you want to take them off, or sell the car.

As for fitting, it's a piece of pee, don't worry about it. Just take your time putting them on, have a felt block and credit card handy for smoothing and bubble removal, along with a fresh scalpel for cutting around shutlines. Use hot air gun to smooth the vinyl round the shutlines, and if you do get any air in the middle of a sticker, just puncture it with scalpel or pin and push the air out.
Old 19 February 2004, 08:28 PM
ETS-Racing
Scooby Newbie

sam uk
i got these made when i used to advertise in Max power so it was maybe over 5 years ago and they are still going strong, the ones i have got made lately are not a great deal more than normal vinyl in price. as sonic says you can get the 7 year stuff but do you think you will have them on your car or have your car that long?

Old 19 February 2004, 08:29 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

2k, crikey, my supplier has told me about the full body wrap stuff, where you can completly change the colour of your car if you want to

I had guessed that they were restickered after each event (keep em nice n good looking )

With regards to the quality & longevity of the vinyl, it is the exact same make model & numer etc vinyl as used by the SWRT, and yes the adhesive *is* guaranteed to lift without any residue, and that is important to me for the reasons you state

Thanks for the info on fitting, my suppler has cd of video instructions on door handles etc (he will help if I need it, but will charge his time out for doing so, but as I am getting the vinyl at cost, doesnt matter too much if i screw up one or two of them

The White Vinyl will be std 7 year vinyl as there isnt a lot of point buying extra stuff in

SamUK sorry gone off a bit of a tangent I'll let JohnWRX help you out, as he posted first, and as I said earlier I can vouch for his work, top class stuff

Cheers

Steve
Old 19 February 2004, 09:17 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

2k, crikey, my supplier has told me about the full body wrap stuff, where you can completly change the colour of your car if you want to
I wouldn't use it for that task on a roadcar, the seam lines on the stickers are too obvious and the quality of the shine is nothing like the same as laquered paint. On a competition car though it's a different kettle of fish. The increased cost of the stickers and application is offset by the fact that the car itself shouldn't need to be resprayed as frequently, so it's a bit swings and roundabouts.

With regards to the quality & longevity of the vinyl, it is the exact same make model & numer etc vinyl as used by the SWRT, and yes the adhesive *is* guaranteed to lift without any residue, and that is important to me for the reasons you state
As long as that guarantee's worth the paper it's written on, you should be in business. Just playing devil's advocate for a sec, but are the folks supplying you with the vinyl the same ones that supply SWRT? If not, how do they know they're supplying the same stuff?

Thanks for the info on fitting, my suppler has cd of video instructions on door handles etc (he will help if I need it, but will charge his time out for doing so, but as I am getting the vinyl at cost, doesnt matter too much if i screw up one or two of them
Yeah, as long as you've got spares. A hot air gun will be all you'll need to finish the handles and shutlines. Warm the vinyl gently then wrap it round the edges.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 19 February 2004 at 09:18 PM.
Old 19 February 2004, 09:38 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Yeah im not sure on how a full car colour change would look, not that I have any intention of changin my colour, it was hard enough to find as it was

As long as that guarantee's worth the paper it's written on, you should be in business. Just playing devil's advocate for a sec, but are the folks supplying you with the vinyl the same ones that supply SWRT? If not, how do they know they're supplying the same stuff?
Im not sure who SWRT supplier is, I would imagine they would go direct to the manufacturer as they are buying in Bulk not sure who cuts it for them, unless that side of it is done 'inhouse' so to speak

I have some official genuine SWRT rally graphics in a pack still sealed, and the manufacturers details are on the back of the vinyl, so my supplier has got the exact same vinyl from his supplier, now it should be identical, unless SWRT have it specially made, but I think that would be unlikely as they are only stickers at the end of day

I will check out the details on guarantee etc

Im ordering extra so I will have plenty of spares

Cheers

Steve
Old 19 February 2004, 10:10 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

...But how would you have got an real set of SWRT stickers when they're not supplied to the public?

IIRC (and I don't know whether this is still the case), they were supplied by a firm of signwriters in Banbury, but I don't remember what they're called.
Old 19 February 2004, 10:22 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

its not the full set I have got, its a few of them, they were from someone in Prodrive
Old 19 February 2004, 10:31 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oops! I hope there wasn't a Prodrive sticker in and amongst that lot. Unauthorised distribution of the logo is probably enough to get you in front of a firing squad nowadays!
Old 19 February 2004, 10:34 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

LOL no there wasnt a Prodrive Sticker in there, but there is a Prodrive checklist in there

besides I already have a pordrive sticker on the front of my car
Old 19 February 2004, 10:35 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
Its about 2 quid a metre for either 7 year or fluro
give me the name of the supplier please

blimey at that price i'm being robbed from my suppliers!!!
Old 19 February 2004, 10:40 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
...But how would you have got an real set of SWRT stickers when they're not supplied to the public?

IIRC (and I don't know whether this is still the case), they were supplied by a firm of signwriters in Banbury, but I don't remember what they're called.
the japanese STI shop website has the kit for sale @ around £800!!!
Old 19 February 2004, 10:46 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=1215496&outx=760&oq=0
http://images.fotopic.net/?id=1215492&outx=760&oq=0

Last edited by rb5 286; 19 February 2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 19 February 2004, 11:31 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

I went in to see him today, before he jetted off on holiday for a week, he got a quote of 2.15 per metre

It is dearer than his normal 'Avery' vinyl that he uses, and he did say that Avery is better quality, certainly from his previous experience

I'll ask him who is supplier is when I see him in about a week or so's time
Old 20 February 2004, 10:42 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Angry

For some un known reason iv not been getting my emails for when people post to this thread, even though i had the instant email notification turned on!!..So i have plenty to read through... ;-)

Thanks for the pics...Now who is selling these and for how much...?

Sam
Old 24 February 2004, 11:01 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by rb5 286
give me the name of the supplier please

blimey at that price i'm being robbed from my suppliers!!!
me too apparently... but having tried many variations and available vinyls I now have a certain range I like and trust - plus easy availability here in Germany.-

NC
Old 24 February 2004, 11:57 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just for info, I have heard that the SWRT supplier has had their wrists slapped for selling kits to the public.

You will not find that they sell them to anyone anymore if the information that I have is correct...

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 24 February 2004, 12:00 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Guys, thanks for all the info, Last nite, some drunk plonker drove straight into the back of MY97 Scooby at traffice lights at 20MPH without breaking!!

He had no Licence or Insurance!

Im 3rd Party Fire and Theft...So kinda bugured!

Need parts, if you can redirect me in the right direction that would be great..

Quick Reply: Subaru world rally team decals - Urgent help