Notices
Styling Exterior styling

fitting fog light covers (MY99/00)

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2004, 04:46 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fitting fog light covers (MY99/00)

Has anybody got foglight covers on their MY99/00?

Cna you tell me how they fit to the car (in DETAIL) and any piccies...

Thanks

Dan
Old 07 February 2004, 05:08 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Has anybody got foglight covers on their MY99/00?

Cna you tell me how they fit to the car (in DETAIL) and any piccies...

Thanks

Dan
On mine they fitted not very well. I was turning round on a bit of bumpy road and one fell out and i ran over it

Andy
Old 07 February 2004, 08:36 PM
J C
Scooby Regular

there are slots in the bumper at the top, have a look underneath to see them , you slot the brackets into these,
Old 07 February 2004, 10:44 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

what about the bottom one? Does it, for want of a better word, "scrape" into place, forming a tight fit around the cover?

Dan
Old 07 February 2004, 11:09 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Dan, i beleive this is the case. We put a little double-sided tape on one of mine cos it seemed loose. Annoyingly we didn't put any on the other, and it was this one that got nadgered, even though it seemed to fix snuggly !!!
Old 08 February 2004, 02:02 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

i attached mine with a long self tapper screw through the plastic panel that sits behind the fog light.
sorry i've got no close up pics to hand.

Kevin
Old 08 February 2004, 02:03 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

might be able to see the screw head on this pic
Old 08 February 2004, 02:05 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

maybe not
Old 08 February 2004, 02:31 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

i have a set of original covers, there are two brackets at the top and one at the bottom, they all go into slots in the bumper,
there was a long thread about this a while back, have a search to see the replies, someone done a good drawing of the brackets and how they fit.
Old 09 February 2004, 04:59 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

I fitted my new ones at the weekend. The old ones got screwed after an accident.

Please read these instructions carefully and see what you think. As usual I hold no responsibility for any nastiness happening to your bumper. I also apologize for the crappy diagrams, but I'll get some pictures when I can.

a) Remove a fog light.

b) At the bottom of where the fog light sits, you’ll see a cut out in the bumper that looks a bit like this…
_______
|#####|

c) You’ll need to make a new hole in this cut out for the bottom bracket on the cover to slot into.

d) You basically make a light scratch in the following position about 10mm in length…
_______
|#___#|

…and then get your drill out!!! First time I fitted my covers I cut a hole right at the back of this cut out which is too far back for the bottom bracket on the cover.

e) Attach a plastic/wood 2mm or 3mm drill bit and drill holes along the scratch you made until you have a 10mm length hole. This is not as bad as it sounds. Just take your time and you'll end up with a neat job.

f) Get a thin flat needle file and file off any unwanted bits of plastic in the hole, and at the same time tidy up the hole to look square or open it up a bit if needed. You want to end up with a hole that’s about 10mm by 4mm square.

g) *** This bit is slightly dodgy *** Bend the bottom bracket about a little on the cover so as it drops a bit lower. The standard brackets are not really long enough to fit securely into the new hole you’ve drilled. If you're a metal work freak you could probably extend the bracket in some cool way or replace the bracket with a longer one. I damaged my bottom bracket by doing this bending, but a quick squirt of Super Glue and the split I created was fixed. If you can think of a better way to extend the bottom bracket rather than bending, use it!

h) Fit the top brackets on the cover back into the top holes in the bumper, lift the cover up at the bottom with a finger and place the cover back as far as it will go. You should find the bottom bracket has now fallen down into the hole you've cut.

i) Take the cover out again by pressing down with two fingers on the top of the cover where the brackets are until the top of the cover pops out towards you. Insert the fog light and put the cover back on. You may find the fog light gets in the way when you put the cover back on, but it will fit if you move the cover around a bit. I found the best fit of the cover is without the fog light in place

Have fun.

J.

Last edited by fdpxfunix; 09 February 2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10 February 2004, 05:43 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys fitted now. Not entirely convinced about the fitting of the bottom bracket though.....

FDPX, my covers aren't in any way bendable , so my thoughts are starying towards Kevin's idea of the long self tapper. (yhm btw )

The piccy is Here

Dan
Old 11 February 2004, 12:30 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

ScoobyDoo555

It's not the covers that you bend, but the bottom metal bracket. It's just a case of using a decent set of pliers and bending the bracket up and down, and at the same time pulling back. You just have to be carefull as it's very easy to damage the plastic let alone the bracket.

I've increased my bottom brackets length by at leat 5mm, which is just enough for it to drop into the hole.

Must admit the screw fixing idea is probably best.

*** SUPPLIERS .... why don't you make the covers with a longer bottom bracket that can be trimmed?

J.
Old 11 February 2004, 02:16 PM
SidewaysMatt
Scooby Regular

Wink This might help?

Hi chaps,

Been having the same problem myself. Bought replica covers off Derek (ETS Racing) which are fibreglass (and very heavy duty too!). They came with 3 L-shaped strips of metal which then needed to be riveted to the edges of the cover. You can see where they go because there is a dimple on the lip of the cover. There are two at the top, which slot into two holes already present in the bumper (in the recess above the foglight).

Then as described above, you have to cut a slot for the single bottom bracket to fit into the bumper. Then you're supposed to generally bend/hammer/kick the thing until it goes into place.

I didn't fancy this as wasn't sure how secure it would be, how much of a pain in the @rse it would be, and knew that I would end up taking half the paint of the bumber in doing so.

So I've kept the two top brackets, then gone down to my friendly neighbourhood main dealer and got a set of proper brackets of an STi. Initially had problems doing this "we don't sell parts for STi's before 2001 because they would be imports sir".

If you get this response, this worked for me: "I believe they're also fitted to P1's to hold the driving light surrounds on."

Dealer then puts in a P1 vin number and gets access to the right section in the parts system. Afraid I can't remember the part number, but it's obvious from the schematic on the screen what is what. You need the left hand and right hand brackets + 2 retaining screws. Total cost is around £12. I believe you can also buy them from Graham Goode but they will charge you £36 for the same 4 parts.

The only drawback to this plan that I've found is that to use the STi brackets, you must remove the fog lights as the bracket sits where the bottom leg of the foglight bracket would normally go.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Matt
Old 11 February 2004, 05:22 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

SidewaysMatt

Taking the fogs out is not too much of a problem, but can you put them back after the bracket is fitted? I presume it's designed to allow the fog light, cover and bracket to work together?

I'm thinking of put the STI brackets on now .... just to be safe

J.

Last edited by fdpxfunix; 11 February 2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11 February 2004, 06:10 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

The standard OE foglight cover brackets are readily available from subaru main dealers.I still have the part numbers on an invoice somewhere.The foglights stay in place,the bracket slides under the original foglight mounting bracket and is fixed using the very same bolt.Its a triangular shape back plate which extends out to a L shaped bracket where the screw fixes to.I hope this helps
Old 12 February 2004, 08:12 AM
Ted Ed
Scooby Regular

Got mine from DRMotorsport and they just clip in...not that tight so I just used some double sided stickypads and they are fine

Simon

Last edited by Ted Ed; 12 February 2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12 February 2004, 10:09 AM
SidewaysMatt
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
The standard OE foglight cover brackets are readily available from subaru main dealers.I still have the part numbers on an invoice somewhere.The foglights stay in place,the bracket slides under the original foglight mounting bracket and is fixed using the very same bolt.Its a triangular shape back plate which extends out to a L shaped bracket where the screw fixes to.I hope this helps
Now you got me. I found that once the brackets were in place, I couldn't then refit the foglights because the plastic leg of the foglight was occupying the same space as where the bracket was extending forwards. I also found that there is a round spacer on the back of the leg of the foglight that the mounting bolt passes through. This meant that the mounting hole in the triangular bit of the bracket had to be drilled out larger to allow this to fit.

Does this make sense?
Old 12 February 2004, 10:10 AM
SidewaysMatt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fdpxfunix
SidewaysMatt

Taking the fogs out is not too much of a problem, but can you put them back after the bracket is fitted? I presume it's designed to allow the fog light, cover and bracket to work together?

I'm thinking of put the STI brackets on now .... just to be safe

J.
yeah, I made the same assumption, but I can't get them all to coexist in the same space at the same time! See my post above.