Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Re-spraying to a different colour

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2003, 08:10 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that you will find that a £1000 respary will include the body and door shuts only.

The boot, under bonnet and floor will still be black which will stick out like a sore thumb when you lift the bonnet or carpet!

A full respray, ie engine out job, is a bloody nightmare, and very expensive due to massive amounts of labour.

P.S. Palatine, there is absolutely nothing dodgy about a colour change respray. If you don't like your wheels you change them, if you don't like your seats, you change them, what is different about the colour?
If done properly, there is nothing to worry about. What could be dodgy about it?

[Edited by talizman - 7/2/2003 8:12:36 PM]
Old 07 February 2003, 08:23 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

Location: back from, and now plotting to return to, Nordschleife
I know what your saying taliz there is nothing wrong with a good paint job (i own a bodyshop) I'm just saying most people hear respray and think " what was up with it before the respray"
Again, its just my opinion from being in the job for 16 years, jo bloggs thinks every one selling a car is a crook and everyone repairing them are cowboys
Edited to say most people on here are clued up nut the everage jo just fears the worst in everyone (mind you if there weren't so many cowboys there wouldn't be this problem and I do get pi$$ed off with d1ckheads ringing up and asking "how much fora respray mate?" and me asking
"why does your car need a respray is it in bad condition" and them saying "no mate its imaculate, I'm just bored wiff da color and I want it lime green like dat 1 in fast & furious, you know the 1" and they are really expecting you to say "£300 quid mate, will you need me to pick it up and drop you're hire car off for you"

I'm not having a go at stishrek who has asked a legit question gets my back up so what I am saying is if you want a blue one buy a blue one

[Edited by PALATINE - 7/2/2003 8:38:39 PM]
Old 07 February 2003, 08:39 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

edited previous post ^

and I'm going for a bath

later yawl

[Edited by PALATINE - 7/2/2003 8:40:28 PM]
Old 02 July 2003, 07:17 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

It is a version 5 type r black and i am sick to death of trying to keep the bugger clean.
Seems a non-stop thankless task.

it is also scratched

i was thinking about changing it to a P1 blue.

or is there any colour which would look better and not be so bad to clean?

has anyone done a complete re-spray to a different colour.

is this a bad idea?

subaru quoted me over 3 grand so fek that

i have been quoted around a grand to get it sprayed to P1 blue from a local bodyshop.

any experiences/advice welcomed.
Old 02 July 2003, 07:18 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

GO PINK LOL!!
Old 02 July 2003, 07:35 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

If you change the colour of your car you will de-value it by as much as 20% because the log book will say black but the car will be blue and no matter what you say to a prospective buyer he will think "this is dodgy".
plus black is a great colour but as you say a bitch to keep looking clean, Instead of having a respra just get the scratches done and then get a really good wax an polish the nuts off it and then just keep on top of it with regular washes.

just my opinion
Old 02 July 2003, 07:38 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

If you change the colour of your car you will de-value it by as much as 20% because the log book will say black but the car will be blue and no matter what you say to a prospective buyer he will think "this is dodgy".
Of course it won't. You inform DVLA that the colour has changed, and they change the logbook.

Of course it will be pretty easy to tell it's been resprayed, particularly if you have it done in a non-Subaru colour.
Old 02 July 2003, 07:43 PM
Autocar
Scooby Regular

Talking

i was thinking about changing it to a P1 blue.
Old 02 July 2003, 07:55 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

If you don't have all the interior area’s (under the bonnet, in the boot and in all the door edges) which for a grand I don't think they would be doing then it will look ropey and cocked up so if you are going to do it get a proper quote from someone who you know is good and preferably a member of an organisation like the MVRA (motor vehicle repairers association) or the VBRA (vehicle body repairers association)

the VIN plate will always have the original paint code on all so so you would have to tell them it has been resprayed and then your back to "this is dodgey"

again just my 2 pence worth
Old 02 July 2003, 08:35 PM
toplad!
Scooby Regular

If your going to do a full colour change then why noy go the whole hog and have it unique. There are alot of blue scoobys around, but not many painted in chromaflash for instance.If you paint it in chromaflash you could leave the engine bay black and it won,t look daft at all.
Old 02 July 2003, 08:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean about trying to keep a black car looking clean Shrek, I won't ever have a black car again,even if they do look really sharp just after you polish them. I have always found the lighter metallic colours the best at not showing the dirt so quickly. Light metallic blue or good old 406 silver are good for that.

Les
Old 02 July 2003, 09:13 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

no offence taken at anyone

good to hear differing viewpoints

i know what palatine is saying regarding the stigma attached to doing it...when selling it it does not look good

this chromaflash? have you any pics of a car with it on?

rather than buying a new silver car (evo 6) i thought i would save money and try this route...but i am taking the gamble if the work turns out to be shoddy.

Les i sympthasise with your hands, kness and back

if it was a hot climate with no rain then it might be a different story

cheers all
Old 02 July 2003, 10:44 PM
toplad!
Scooby Regular

If your interested in chromaflash or chromaflair paint try this site http://my.execpc.com/~joesmith/chromaflair.htm
Old 02 July 2003, 11:03 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Clicky!

Simon.
Old 02 July 2003, 11:21 PM
midnight racer
Scooby Regular

i'm having a colour change on my car at the moment (everything but the suspension turrets) and quite a lot of other bits done, including repairing some quite bad dents, which is costing me £3,000ish by a friend who owns a bodyshop.

it might seem like quite a bit of money but its being done absolutely immaculately (he's almost more concerned about getting it looking 1st class than me ).

if your interested in getting done i'll give you the number of the guy who is doing mine, and if you want to have a look at the quality of their work first you're welcome to have a look at mine at a show or cruise.

as regards to having to resell it, i don't think it would really affect the resellability (is that a word? ) as long as the job has been done well. but i also wouldn't bother changing the colour unless i was thinking of keeping the car long term. as with almost all mods you'll never get the money back you lay out in the first place - but thats not what modding a car is about, is it?!
Old 03 July 2003, 12:37 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I just went to view a car with a mate who was buying and the guy had had it resprayed. He had a dealer reciept for a pukka job, and there was nothing dodgy about it.

Providing it has been done by a reputable place and have receipts there should not be a problem.

Go for it.
Old 03 July 2003, 05:25 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

just been to the local bodyshop and they quoted me 1500 quid to change to P1 blue

That includes having everything done including a few dents and the engine bay, door inserts, boot, bonnet etc

Says it will take between 1-2 weeks

now do i take the plunge
Old 03 July 2003, 06:30 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt do it p1 blue mate. You have an sti - why make it look like p1 blue and look like a blue?

If you want blue, go for a different shade of blue. Why be another p1?

I do like p1s, but all im saying is why spend that much money to look like a p1 that comes standard? Go for a different shade and you will be LIKE the p1 but NOT a p1

Just an idea
Old 03 July 2003, 06:45 PM
midnight racer
Scooby Regular

i agree with money, why spend a load of money changing the colour of your car and make it look exactly like another car? if your going to do it i think you should make it look a little different from most other scoobys.
Old 03 July 2003, 09:06 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

wat about a BMW Z3M coupe blue?]

the lighter the shade of blue the less cleaning it will want

that is my theory anyway

my bro has a silver car and is brilliant to keep clean
Old 08 July 2003, 04:24 PM
Eddoe
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't mind having a P1 in stead of just respraying a normal turbo, but what about if you havn't got that extra 10k but you can manage the 2-3k for a colour change? as long as you intend on keeping the car why not!
Old 08 July 2003, 05:06 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

why dont you just use the £2k (cost of spray) plus the value of your car to buy a newer scooby in a diffrent colour.