Styling Exterior styling

Scoop for SRX Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2003, 10:15 AM
glynieboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have an MY00 Impreza SRX which is a Japanese import (bug eye). The car is very similar to the UK WRX but without the turbo and bonnet scoop.

I’m looking at purchasing a bonnet scoop for my car but need some advice on the best way of fitting.

At present the car has no scoop fitted so there is no pre drilled holes or cut area for air flow. When fitting should I look at cutting an area in the bonnet for air flow or should I just bolt it on to the car? I was worried that if I don’t cut a hole out the air flow would cause major drag but on the other hand if I do cut a hole it’s not going to do much as the car doesn’t have a turbo thus no intercooler under the scoop.

Also the scoop I’m looking at is an original Subaru scoop of a MY02 (bug eye) Impreza. Is there anything I should be aware when buying second hand? I did notice that the scoop as no meshing at the front. Would it be advisable to fit some meshing on before fitting to stop stones etc flying in to the engine bay if I do end up cutting the bonnet?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04 June 2003, 12:03 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
If I were you, I'd look at possibly purchasing a bonnet and scoop from a breakers, that way if you decide to sell the car, you have the original bonnet still, rather than cutting the original up.
Old 04 June 2003, 12:16 PM
glynieboy
Scooby Regular

However if you where to buy a second hand Impreza would you rather it have a scoop or no scoop? I know I would rather had with one already fitted!

The other problem would be storing the orignal bonnet as I converted my garage last year in to a games room!!!!!!
Old 04 June 2003, 12:29 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
ahhh but i'd have bought a turbo lol

Fair comment, i'd be a bit dubious personally about cutting the bonnet that cannot be easy
Old 08 June 2003, 09:47 PM
glynieboy
Scooby Regular

Have found a company that will fit a functional scoop for my scooby for £120 all in. That includes a fibre glass scoop with mesh (I have a choice of scoops), fitting (bolting) and cutting the bonnet to make it fully functional! This all the company do, fit scoops and lourves!

All I need todo now is find a decent garage to paint the scoop!!

As for getting a turbo, I would of but my insurance was to high. Had a crash earlier this year in my Fiat Coupe 20v turbo, very costly!!

However the SRX has the same engine as the UK spec Turbo. With a custom made cold air induction kit and high flow cat I will be able to keep up with you Turbo guys down those country roads! broom broom!!!!!!

Oh and the other thing its only a group 13 car!!! ha ha!!