Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Paint Rubber Kit help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2003, 02:16 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just taken delivery of the Swizol Paint Rubber Kit which contains the Paint Rubber (Clay Bar) and the Quick Finish Surfacr Spray. Problem is, the instructions for use are in German.

Would I be right in thinking that I should spray the area to be treated with the Quick Finish first, then use the clay bar, and then wipe off with a towel? Or re-spray the area before wiping off?

Should I dunk the Clay Bar in water first (the instructions seem to hint at this) to soften it up?
Old 14 March 2003, 02:50 PM
Brown Baron
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

These are the instructions I got from Mark:

Taking the Paint Rubber (clay bar) allow to stand in some hot water to soften for a few minutes. Then place the clay in the palm of your hand and starting with the roof, move the clay over the painted surface in a back and forth motion. Using wet finger tips gently feel the paint surface before and after using the clay and not the pimply feel to the paint before starting and the super smooth after claying it. Always keep the surface of the paint well lubricated with water otherwise the clay will stick to the paint.

Proceed from the roof to the bonnet and boot and then on down to the doors and lower extremities. Pay particular attention to tar spotting on the lower halves of the doors. If you have a stubborn tar spot just press the edge of the clay and rub somewhat harder and the tar will disappear. When you have finished there is no need to wash the car again unless you really want too, as any clay smudges will disappear using cleaner fluid.

Hope this helps
Old 14 March 2003, 03:17 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

BB - that's fantastic, thank you very much indeed. I bought the kit to remove some tar spots and other small blemishes so the advice you provided me with is spot on - excuse the pun!
Old 14 March 2003, 03:28 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

I use soapy water to lubricate the clay.
Old 15 March 2003, 08:12 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

and try not to use it in cold weather - makes it a bu**er to mould in your hands to get a "fresh" surface on the clay

did mine on a cold day, now have small scratches from picked-up grit etc to redo next time

Apple
Old 15 March 2003, 09:21 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips guys. Scoobynet comes through once more !
Old 17 March 2003, 09:18 AM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Mark's instructions don't mention using quick Finish even though it comes in the starter kit. I did the car first with the clay bar and running water but after I checked the manual (mine's in English) and it mentioned using the Quick Finish with the clay bar. Anyway, I gave it another once over with the bar and QF just to be sure. Quite surpised at the amount of crud in the clay by the end.
Old 17 March 2003, 01:04 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I got the clay bar out and had a go at the marks on the car yesterday. Some of them have been there for a month or two so I was quite surprised to see how well they came out. The clay bar left some deposits on the paintwork so I just sprayed the area liberally with the quick finish and hey presto, a result.
Old 17 March 2003, 02:39 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Do a cleanse and wax after using the clay for tiptop results
Old 17 March 2003, 07:39 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Will do Russell. I was a bit pushed for time yesterday and wanted to wait until my next cleanse & wax was due but didn't want to leave the contaminants in the paintwork any longer than I had to. I also gave the wheels a bit of a wash (they were black, not gold) but a full valet of the car and a nice long bake in the sun (the car, not me) is scheduled for this weekend.