Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Flamer installation

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2002, 07:41 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just made my own flamer installation ( I'm from Belgium and it's not available here so I made up my own) I've welded a spark plug in the backbox, wired it, placed a Legacy ingition coil in the boot but then... nothing happend because i must have something to made the ignition coil working, i tried with a side repeater relais but the spark is too soft and too weak, any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 17 December 2002, 10:30 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

LOL....

Be advised - with the cat in place it probably wont work.....

Also, you need to power the coil! Buy the kit, and you'd have saved yourself all the heartache..... but then I'm bound to say that
Old 17 December 2002, 10:43 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

there is no cat on my car, a full scorpion system, I just want a solution to power the coil so that it will work correctly, my car is already on the rich side of fuel cons. (due to mapping, boost to1.3 bar with TD04 ) it goes 20 mpg av.
Old 17 December 2002, 10:47 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the SCC kits there is a control box which flicks the coil on/off so fast that there is a constant spark flame. I *think* it may be possible to use a relay which has the power wired through the contacts so that it goes into an on/off "forever" loop and hence switches the coil on off very fast....

crap drawing, do you get the idea ?

The coil would get the on/off pulses on the low voltage and should pulse ? or it might not ?

good luck
Dan - professor of technical drawing Oxford University
Old 17 December 2002, 10:52 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

Yes, that was my idea too, i use now a ign. coil from a Legacy turbo and it sparks !!! but not fast enough because i use a relay from side repeaters, any suggestions what sort of relay i must use, By the way, I think my setup is almost that of an original Flamerkit, Sorry guys but you have to sell them in BELGIUM, I know at least 20 people with a fast subaru...
Old 17 December 2002, 11:12 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

That method should switch on/off so fast it would buzz and the spark should be near constant. We used to make hand held electrick shock devices that way with 9v batteries but I don't know how long one would last with that system. You could try a standard fog lamp relay as they are cheap enough and usually rated at 30Amps.....
Old 17 December 2002, 11:50 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

a foglamp relay ? can you let it buzz, i tought it was an on of relay, just used to max up your amp
Old 18 December 2002, 11:35 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

Wally,

We sell them, so have a look at out website

www.sccperformance.com

We send them all over the world - in fact, I just sent five out to Holland this morning.

If you need anything, you can mail me on richard@sccperformance.com

Cheers.

Rich.
Old 19 December 2002, 04:51 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

If you wire ANY relay up so that when power is applied, the internal coil activates the switch to cut off its own power source, then the coil deactivates hence reconnecting the power which starts the process again....causing the buzz of continual connection & disconnection but I don't think you are getting the drift of it.

If I were you I would buy a kit from SCC, they are excellent quality and you know it will work well, I did