Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Who is the best footballer in the world?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2008, 10:12 PM
WRX #1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Who is the best footballer in the world?

Guys i've got a problem, Me and a mate in work are arguing over who the best footballer in the world is (at the moment) I think its Cristiano Ronaldo (Even though he's a Man U player ) and he thinks its Lionel Messi i obviously don't watch enough of Messi to rate him as high as he does any suggestions? Or any other names spring to mind? Please god no-one say Wes Brown
Old 06 May 2008, 10:21 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Wes Brown.

No, seriously. The best player at the moment is Ronaldo. Adebayor is also up there and you have to mention Torres too. I don't watch enough foreign football but what I have seen, and from the CL they don't come close to these guys.
Old 06 May 2008, 10:23 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

easy John Terry but i'm bias,Got to be Cristiano Ronaldo(i hate to say it)he's had another great season scoring 40 goals from right wing is some going.
Old 06 May 2008, 11:12 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Wes Brown.

No, seriously. The best player at the moment is Ronaldo. Adebayor is also up there and you have to mention Torres too. I don't watch enough foreign football but what I have seen, and from the CL they don't come close to these guys.
You really are clueless about football if you think Adebayor is up with the very best in the world right now I would say even Arsenal fans agree with me.

Top players at the mo are..

Ronaldo
Messi
Kaka
Riquelme (when playing for Argentina)

Just below that group you have the likes of..

Fabregas
Torres
Gerrard
Drogba (when his head is on)
Villa
Snieder
Xavi
Inniesta sp?

Adebayor isn't anywhere close.

I'll have no doubt missed a few but you get the jist.
Old 06 May 2008, 11:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX #1
Guys i've got a problem, Me and a mate in work are arguing over who the best footballer in the world is (at the moment) I think its Cristiano Ronaldo (Even though he's a Man U player ) and he thinks its Lionel Messi i obviously don't watch enough of Messi to rate him as high as he does any suggestions? Or any other names spring to mind? Please god no-one say Wes Brown
Messi is class and was superb at the start of the season but has had injury problems since so it's hard to judge him on this season. Ronaldo however had a superb season last year and he's got better this. He's been constant, a team player, individual brilliance, improved areas of his game (free kicks for one), he scores with both feet and his head, can play left, right or central, He's averaging a goal a game for his club and has a superb record for his country. Put all that to your mate and see if he can deny any of it. If that's not good enough then he is judging on a different criteria to you.
Old 06 May 2008, 11:58 PM
WRX #1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Messi is class and was superb at the start of the season but has had injury problems since so it's hard to judge him on this season. Ronaldo however had a superb season last year and he's got better this. He's been constant, a team player, individual brilliance, improved areas of his game (free kicks for one), he scores with both feet and his head, can play left, right or central, He's averaging a goal a game for his club and has a superb record for his country. Put all that to your mate and see if he can deny any of it. If that's not good enough then he is judging on a different criteria to you.
Well mate i think i've just won a tenner
Old 07 May 2008, 09:54 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Top 4 players in the world for me are

Ronaldo :angry:
Messi
Kaka
Fabregas (different type of player to the other 3 but even so, makes the list for me)

Adebayor? Where'd he come from to make that list? So many more players who rate above him, good player no doubt but best in the world?

Out of Ronaldo and Messi I do have to say Ronaldo edges it purely oout of the last 2 seasons consistency (God thats hard to say). They all have their own qualities though. Most people will pick different people from the above list anyway so hard to say.
Old 07 May 2008, 10:33 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Much as it pains me to do say it STi has it spot on this season

Now if Ronaldo could just learn to not look so f**king smug all the time, non-Manure fans might even learn to dislike him less
Old 07 May 2008, 01:22 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Much as it pains me to do say it STi has it spot on this season

Now if Ronaldo could just learn to not look so f**king smug all the time, non-Manure fans might even learn to dislike him less
Arrogant not smug, when you're that good you can afford to be

For me

Ronaldo is the best player in the world because he has everything in his game.

Messi is 2nd, he just doesn't have Ronaldo's all round ability, close but not the al rounder Ronaldo is. I have never seen a better player with the dribbling skills he posses especially with the ball so close to his feet, like it is stuck to his boot with glue.

Kaka 3rd

These 3 are by far and away clear of anyone else imho although I have been extremely impressed with Torres, great vision, balance and 9/10 times he will score once in the box, that cannot be said of Adebayour, and as previously said most gooners would agree. Fabregas is also pretty close to this elite group, another 12 months and we will be speaking of him in the same terms of that I'm sure.
Old 07 May 2008, 01:45 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Adebayor wouldn't make my Arsenal starting line up based on recent form.

He scores a few goals when Arsenal run out of passing opportunities as they head relentlessly towards the goal.

If Torres was playing for Arsenal we'd have won the Prem and Torres would have been the best player in the world.

Closely followed by that arrogant smug crying tosspot
Old 07 May 2008, 01:51 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

impossible to say, most of your ideas are diluted down by what you see on the TV, for instance, there are countless young players that could make it big time in the leagues of Brazil and Argentina, , look at the likes of the Brazilian kid at Man U who has come over and done well in his first year.

I don't see how you can say so and so is the worlds best player when other countless leagues do not get any TV exposure.

Your question is more relevant to; "best player in europe"
Old 07 May 2008, 02:00 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Nyron Nosworthy
Old 07 May 2008, 02:13 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
impossible to say, most of your ideas are diluted down by what you see on the TV, for instance, there are countless young players that could make it big time in the leagues of Brazil and Argentina, , look at the likes of the Brazilian kid at Man U who has come over and done well in his first year.

I don't see how you can say so and so is the worlds best player when other countless leagues do not get any TV exposure.

Your question is more relevant to; "best player in europe"
The best players end up in Europe.. fact. The best leagues in Europe are the English, Spanish and Italian leagues. It's therefore not too dificult to look at the players there and form an opinion. I threw in Requelme as he a slightly different proposition in he longs to play in Argentina now after earning his money in Spain and falling out with the club. However he's the main man along with Messi in the best team in the world (rankings wise). So a decent shout I'd say.
Old 07 May 2008, 02:26 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
Nyron Nosworthy
Now you are having a laugh, surely Titus Bramble edges him out
Old 07 May 2008, 02:33 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
The best players end up in Europe.. fact. The best leagues in Europe are the English, Spanish and Italian leagues. It's therefore not too dificult to look at the players there and form an opinion. I threw in Requelme as he a slightly different proposition in he longs to play in Argentina now after earning his money in Spain and falling out with the club. However he's the main man along with Messi in the best team in the world (rankings wise). So a decent shout I'd say.
fvckin FACT...

your judging what you plainly see on your TV - why do the big clubs from Italy, Spain and England continuosly monitor and send over scouts to the bigger south american counterparts? Its becasue the leagues are full of highly talented players, yes, all the best players end up over here, mainly because of the money, money attracts talent therefore you will have an abundance of the best players here chasing the $ - the original question is still too generalised thats all I was saying.

People also always go for the skilled players scoring the most goals, there are defenders and midfielders out there who perform week in week out who are just as good or equal to the likes of Ronaldo or Messi, its just they go about there business and don't need to dance around the ball 20 times to look good or do the job.

Look at Gerrard, you very seldom see him have a bad game, whereas there are games where Ronaldo is (albeit unfairly) kicked out of the game and is basically not effective at all.

erm...I think you'll find thats a FACT...
Old 07 May 2008, 02:56 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
fvckin FACT...

your judging what you plainly see on your TV - why do the big clubs from Italy, Spain and England continuosly monitor and send over scouts to the bigger south american counterparts? Its becasue the leagues are full of highly talented players, yes, all the best players end up over here, mainly because of the money, money attracts talent therefore you will have an abundance of the best players here chasing the $ - the original question is still too generalised thats all I was saying.

People also always go for the skilled players scoring the most goals, there are defenders and midfielders out there who perform week in week out who are just as good or equal to the likes of Ronaldo or Messi, its just they go about there business and don't need to dance around the ball 20 times to look good or do the job.

Look at Gerrard, you very seldom see him have a bad game, whereas there are games where Ronaldo is (albeit unfairly) kicked out of the game and is basically not effective at all.

erm...I think you'll find thats a FACT...
The best players are playing in the Champions league. Agree? Therefore you don't really have to look much further than comparing the players from those teams. Yes those with talent and potential to be the best may well be outside that but until they are playing in it then you cant really consider them. I fail to see how you can disagree with that.

I'll give you the point about positions and agree to an extent but the fact is the main point of football is to score goals so those that create and score them will be the ones in the main under consideration to be regarded as the best.
Old 07 May 2008, 05:10 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Ronaldo, but don't tell anyone I said that
Old 07 May 2008, 06:18 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Easy, Jonas Gutierrez.
Old 07 May 2008, 06:28 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

at this moment in time its christiano ronaldo.. will be another next year but defo him now.
Old 07 May 2008, 08:42 PM
WRX #1
Scooby Regular

So peeps, the general consensus is that at the moment the best player in the world is Ronaldo (Man that gets harder to say everytime why cant it be Joey Cole scoring 40 goals a season)
Old 07 May 2008, 08:54 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

why cant it be Joey Cole scoring 40 goals a season)
Got to give the others a chance
Old 07 May 2008, 08:58 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

did i read right that fat franks your leading scorer? if you actually buy a 30 goal a year striker you will raise the bar again imo.
Old 07 May 2008, 09:27 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Messi is out in front by a fair distance for me in terms of best player at present.
Ronaldinho is still the most entertaining player i have watched in my time (the 3-0 against Real Madrid 2 seasons ago was genius!). I started watching football when Maradona had turned into a junky so i cant say i have seen enough of him to compare.

Last edited by 97TURBO; 07 May 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07 May 2008, 09:44 PM
WRX #1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveBeck
did i read right that fat franks your leading scorer? if you actually buy a 30 goal a year striker you will raise the bar again imo.
Fat Frank? Are you fu<king that immature - After what hes been through recently and you make childish comments about him..........idiot
Old 07 May 2008, 10:40 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Fat Frank? Are you fu<king that immature - After what hes been through recently and you make childish comments about him..........idiot
What by calling him a name he's had for years?

sorry if i hurt your feelings Fat WRX #1
Old 07 May 2008, 10:41 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Aye, shame Drogba wasn't allowed at the funeral..
Old 07 May 2008, 10:54 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Originally Posted by what would scooby do

ouchio

Last edited by DaveBeck; 08 May 2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08 May 2008, 12:00 AM
WRX #1
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Heartless muppet i think you need to grow up a bit and show abit of compassion, How is it funny making a joke out of someones mum dying? How would you feel if it was yours and someone made a thread on here and everyone was joking about her, Just grow up you stupid kid.
Old 08 May 2008, 07:17 AM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Heartless muppet i think you need to grow up a bit and show abit of compassion, How is it funny making a joke out of someones mum dying? How would you feel if it was yours and someone made a thread on here and everyone was joking about her, Just grow up you stupid kid.
Think your find me old china that you brought it on. his mum wasnt even mentioned until you started because i called him FAT
I dont agree with abusing personally as everyone will at some point go through the same. but calling someone by a nickname and abusing his passed away mum is a different ball park
Old 08 May 2008, 11:45 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Wind yer neck in mate - If Ronaldo's Mum died I wouldn't start calling him Mr Ronaldo - He'd still be cheating diving crying best player in the world tosser

Quick Reply: Who is the best footballer in the world?