Sport General sport discussion

Israel v England.

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2007, 09:15 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Israel v England.

Is it really as bad as the Radio 5 commentary suggests?
Old 24 March 2007, 09:25 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

I've never seen such a pathetic display of football in my life. England are **** and dont deserve to qualify with performances like that

What was the point of bringing Richards on in place of Nevile??? Totally changed the game that, great decision Mclaren well done.

They are so concerned about not conceeding a goal that they will not score one
Old 24 March 2007, 09:26 PM
Chris_B_WRX
Scooby Regular

Can't believe I've sat and watched that !! Absolutely pathetic !!!
Old 24 March 2007, 10:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Get rid of McLaren now. How can part of the previous problem be the solution????
Old 25 March 2007, 12:03 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Yes it was that bad...............

Worse when I'd watched Scotland less than a few hours before. Think Carragher had the most shots in the game
Old 25 March 2007, 12:04 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

yes it was really that bad i fell asleep
Old 25 March 2007, 01:20 AM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

omg what a load of crap
Old 25 March 2007, 01:38 AM
pj748r
Scooby Regular

We got Mclaren because he was an 'English Manager' and the press told the FA that we needed an 'English Manager' to get the best out of our players.

What a load of ****e!!

He did **** all at 'Boro as a manager but because he was Rudolph the Red Nosed Mancs understudy he was deemed to be the 'English Messiah'!

Absolutely ****ing clueless

Lennon should have played right wing

Downing should have played left wing

Warnock should have played left back

Carragher should have played right back

Gerrard should have played Centre Mid alongside Hargreaves

Defoe and Shrek up front.

As for Neville,words fail me

Yet again another huge disappointing England performance,should have come away with 3 points.
Old 25 March 2007, 01:45 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

See, Sven wasn't that bad was he! Apart from not playing Walcott when we had no other options he wasn't actually that bad.

McClaren comes in on a power trip and drops experienced players like Sol and Becks that are stil vital to the team, all because he wants to stamp his mark and make a name for himself. The friendlies were the time to mess around, which he did by trying new younger, less experienced players. The qualifiers should have seen those ommited players re instated and the new faces dropped.
Old 25 March 2007, 02:09 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
See, Sven wasn't that bad was he! Apart from not playing Walcott when we had no other options he wasn't actually that bad.

McClaren comes in on a power trip and drops experienced players like Sol and Becks that are stil vital to the team, all because he wants to stamp his mark and make a name for himself. The friendlies were the time to mess around, which he did by trying new younger, less experienced players. The qualifiers should have seen those ommited players re instated and the new faces dropped.
Sven was as bad. It's Sven MkII. How Lampard gets picked to start is beyond me. Gerrard is a million times the player Lampard is. *** him off and put Gerrard in the middle of the park. McClaren is a nonce. Did you see his interview before the game? "week in week out" is all he could say.
Old 25 March 2007, 02:17 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

the england team is a bunch of players that prefer to play for club (big money) rather than pride for their country. don't want to get injured on international duty and harm any chance of the next big contract pay rise.

money has shafted this game i'm afraid

terry was waffling on in the paper about 'now is the time to stand up and be counted' blah, blah, bollocks, etc put out the same performance for your country as you do for your club pal, then start talking yourself up!

rooney is another one, think greavsie in the sun hit the nail on the head when he said he couldn't figure out if rooney is an average player who started good or a good player having an average run. score some goals shrek boy!!!

very few players look like they're really interested and the whole team is on easy street, they know baring injury they'll be in the team so why make the effort to prove yourself?

i hope they don't qualify and the FA have to admit their mistake and get a real manager. get a manger who will genuinely give them a kick up the **** and players who give a ****
Old 25 March 2007, 04:32 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Gerrard is a million times the player Lampard is. *** him off and put Gerrard in the middle of the park.
Oh yeah, a million times

Statistics - Football365 News
Old 25 March 2007, 04:37 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Well according to that graphic, Darren Bent is better than Shevchenko.
Old 25 March 2007, 06:13 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan

Well according to that graphic, Darren Bent is better than Shevchenko.
Who's arguing with that?
Old 25 March 2007, 06:21 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

Old 25 March 2007, 08:34 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris_B_WRX
Can't believe I've sat and watched that !! Absolutely pathetic !!!
It could have been worse - you could have spent a few hundred quid to go to the game like I did.

Enough said about the game above, and the pros and cons of various players.
I'm still going to Barcelona on Wednesday morning to watch the Andorra game. The football might not be up to much, but the buzz of travelling away with England is as good as ever.

Tel Aviv has to be one of the best away trips I've ever done. Was slightly nervous about going and had heard / read all the stories about security etc, but can honestly say that the Israelis were really friendly and welcoming to us all..... maybe because we emptied several bars of their entire beer stock!!
The views on the promenade on Saturday were guide - some of the women are simply stunning. If you get the chance to go to Tel Aviv I'd recommend it. .

Otherwise, I met David Platt, Jamie Rednapp and Glenn Hoddle on the promenade outside their hotel.

Mark
Old 25 March 2007, 10:18 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Sven was as bad. It's Sven MkII. How Lampard gets picked to start is beyond me. Gerrard is a million times the player Lampard is. *** him off and put Gerrard in the middle of the park. McClaren is a nonce. Did you see his interview before the game? "week in week out" is all he could say.
so you wouldn't play a player who has scored 40+goals in 2 seasons which is more than wayne rooney who is england so called best player and peter crouch who is meant to be a striker is it frank lampards fault than england don't have a right side midfielder player is it his fault than england don't have a left side midfielder the answer is NO their were 11 player who were crap last night not just frank lampard RANT OVER
Old 25 March 2007, 11:25 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
so you wouldn't play a player who has scored 40+goals in 2 seasons which is more than wayne rooney who is england so called best player and peter crouch who is meant to be a striker is it frank lampards fault than england don't have a right side midfielder player is it his fault than england don't have a left side midfielder the answer is NO their were 11 player who were crap last night not just frank lampard RANT OVER
Fact is it should be him or Gerrard in the middle. They are not good together. Money on if we did a poll then people would rate Gerrard above Lampard. I'm a United fan so have zero reason to big Gerrard up other than he's a far better player.

The way Chelski are set out gives him total freedom to attack and do very little in defence which is a requirement for England. Also the possession Chelski have and the end to end nature of the Prem allows him a million shots a game. not to mention the penalties he takes. Good player but not in the same league of class as Gerrard for me.
Old 26 March 2007, 06:56 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^

Spot on, and as for Sol Marc, get a grip, he was a ball watcher at best.

I see Mclaren used Rooney as a scapegoat and tore into him in the dressing room, Rooney throw his shirt in his face, I wouldn't nornally condone this sort of behaviour, but when a tactically inept manager looks to blame his players then it's fair play, clearly his man management skills are on a par with Sven.
Old 26 March 2007, 08:27 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Steve McLaren is absolutely clueless. His team selection was pure comedy. I sat there as the team was announced and cringed...
Centre Half / Right back Jamie Carragher as left back. Utility player Phil Neville as Right back. Right winger Aaron Lennon as Left Winger. Central midfielder Steven Gerrard as Right winger?? It all defied belief...
Surely a balanced side is more important than playing your "big name big team" players anywhere for the sake of it??
Lennon on the right, Downing on the left - that's not rocket science...
Either Fat Frank or Stevie G alongside Hargreaves... You wont get sacked for dropping one of them FFS...
How's about Carragher at right back (oo how imaginary) and say Paul Konchesky at left back (what with him being a premier league English left back - or is that too off the wall??? ...
Like I say balance is better than big name big team players playing anywhere for the sake of it.
That was Israel we were playing in a competitive match on Saturday, not Italy or Portugal...
Very very frustrating...
Old 26 March 2007, 08:27 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

I'm a United fan
...and being so have failed to mention the fact Rooney has done nothing for England for a couple of seasons now. A striker that doesn't score, very helpful

The way Chelski are set out gives him total freedom to attack and do very little in defence which is a requirement for England. not to mention the penalties he takes.
Defence hasn't been a problem in the past for England, its scoring against so-called lesser teams.

As for penalties 4 pens out of 20 goals this season
Old 26 March 2007, 08:50 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pauld37
Defence hasn't been a problem in the past for England, its scoring against so-called lesser teams.
Unfortunately we do need to field a defensively strong midfield these days in order to cover for Ferdinand's extended absences I'm sure it would just be easier to give his job to a proper centre-half

On a lighter note Paul, the prem's best keeper didn't exactly cover himself in glory against Germany over the weekend did he
Old 26 March 2007, 08:55 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pauld37
...and being so have failed to mention the fact Rooney has done nothing for England for a couple of seasons now. A striker that doesn't score, very helpful

As for penalties 4 pens out of 20 goals this season
Rooney has been crap for England I totally agree. The game on Saturday in the first 20 minutes he got the ball passed to him once.

Nobody wants Lampard in the team but Chelski fans. Oh and the manager.
Old 26 March 2007, 09:01 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Steve McLaren is absolutely clueless. His team selection was pure comedy. I sat there as the team was announced and cringed...
Centre Half / Right back Jamie Carragher as left back. Utility player Phil Neville as Right back. Right winger Aaron Lennon as Left Winger. Central midfielder Steven Gerrard as Right winger?? It all defied belief...
Surely a balanced side is more important than playing your "big name big team" players anywhere for the sake of it??
Lennon on the right, Downing on the left - that's not rocket science...
Either Fat Frank or Stevie G alongside Hargreaves... You wont get sacked for dropping one of them FFS...
How's about Carragher at right back (oo how imaginary) and say Paul Konchesky at left back (what with him being a premier league English left back - or is that too off the wall??? ...
Like I say balance is better than big name big team players playing anywhere for the sake of it.
That was Israel we were playing in a competitive match on Saturday, not Italy or Portugal...
Very very frustrating...
All that wound me right up but the cherry on top was the fact he didn't even think to swap Gerrard and Lennon over after half an hour for 10 mins. This is a standard tactic to upset the balance f the opposition defence as they have to face a different style of player.

The other thing he could have done was go to 3 at the back. They were sitting in so not offering much attacking threat. Take Neville off and put on Defoe dropping Rooney into the hole behind or move him to a left hand berth as Fergie sometimes does and move Lennon to the right giving Lampard and Gerrard freedom to bomb forward with Hargreaves sitting covering the back 3.

Instead he was more worried what the press would say should he lose the game.
Old 26 March 2007, 09:31 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Rooney has been crap for England I totally agree. The game on Saturday in the first 20 minutes he got the ball passed to him once.

Nobody wants Lampard in the team but Chelsea fans. Oh and the manager.

this idea that lampard and gerrard can't player together is b/s they both good players and they should both be able to player together in central midfield and the manager should work it out do you think that if lampard was has bad a player has you make out that he would get a game week in and week out for chelsea and was voted by england fans has they player of the year only last year and sad is it that you blame just one player for all the problems england have(no wide players,no strikers,can't to the basics)
Old 26 March 2007, 09:43 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

this idea that lampard and gerrard can't player together is b/s they both good players and they should both be able to player together in central midfield and the manager should work it out do you think that if lampard was has bad a player has you make out that he would get a game week in and week out for chelsea and was voted by england fans has they player of the year only last year and sad is it that you blame just one player for all the problems england have(no wide players,no strikers,can't to the basics)
The game on Sat and previous games they end up all too often occupying the same area of the pitch. Now maybe Gerrard should sit wide right and do his job but fact is he doesn't and i guess that's down to the manager allowing him to do that. Gerrard is the one who makes things happen. He's the one who raises the tempo of the game. all I saw from Lampard was him playing his lofted long ball that Drogba makes look quite effective to our two short arsed strikers who got mullered because of it. Lampard needs to be dropped for the sake of the team IMHO.
Old 26 March 2007, 09:57 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

i'm all for dropping lampard if it makes england better but dropping lampard will not make england better because england will still have the same problems which i have already said above.
Old 26 March 2007, 10:01 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

i'm all for dropping lampard if it makes england better but dropping lampard will not make england better because england will still have the same problems which i have already said above.
You say they should be able to play together. Do you admit then currently it's not working? England would be better with him out of the team. We would end up with a more conventional English midfield with two wide players, a holding midfield player and a attacking midfield player. That attacking midfielder could be Gerrard or Lampard but Gerrard is the better player.
Old 26 March 2007, 10:02 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk

On a lighter note Paul, the prem's best keeper didn't exactly cover himself in glory against Germany over the weekend did he
he is the best goalkeeper in the world
Old 26 March 2007, 10:08 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

You say they should be able to play together. Do you admit then currently it's not working? England would be better with him out of the team. We would end up with a more conventional English midfield with two wide players, a holding midfield player and a attacking midfield player. That attacking midfielder could be Gerrard or Lampard but Gerrard is the better player.

i do agree that its not working but they should be able to and if dropping lampard makes them play better yes i would drop him for gerrard but england have other problems which i have aready posted above which one of them is without micheal owen england can't score goals and england have no good wide players and no right back.

Last edited by richie001; 26 March 2007 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Israel v England.