Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Do You think Freddie Flintoff Was Harshly Punished??

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2007, 09:44 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Do You think Freddie Flintoff Was Harshly Punished??

OK So he got pished, Some people seem to forget that without him we would never had won the ashes, seems some people have short memories, talk about go from hero to zero I like Freddie and I do think the punishment was too harsh.
Cheers
Colin
Old 19 March 2007, 10:08 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Not disputing the chaps ability but for me I think he is overated and everyone seems to forget there are another 10 batsman and 5 odd bowlers in the team, not to mention the numerous other fielders, all the pundits seem to blow his trmpet as though he is the best and only player in the team. In my opinion he did nothing for us in the 2006 ashes and has also not done anything special in the current World Cup.
For me Panasar and Dalrymple seem to be the golden boys at the moment.

Anyway back to the initial question! possibly a tad harsh but lets not forget that he is currently representing our country and to go out and get blasted then need rescuing from a capsised pedelo, is not the sort of behaviour you would expect.

Just my opinion.
Old 19 March 2007, 10:28 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

yeah he woz treated harshly coz the whole england team should be sacked, their all sh1te and only flintoff is good and panesar and that bowling maestro i forgot his name
Old 19 March 2007, 10:33 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Flintoff is a complete **** head. During the ashes he was lashing it up big time 2 days before games with him and Pieterson so drunk they could hardly stand up. The fact is he has become a lager lout and despite repeated warning from team managment has refused to tone it down before games this punishment is long overdue.
Old 19 March 2007, 10:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see what all the fuss is about, so, AFTER the game had finished, he went out on the lash, and made a ***** of himself, so what.... if it had happened mid way through the games then fair enough, but afterwards..... he's just having a few drinks and getting lashed..... yeh, i suppose you could argue that he 's representing britain, but then you could say that about so many people who don't give a toss....

BTW, i don't follow cricket, or any other sport come to that.... just can't help hearing the news....
Old 19 March 2007, 11:16 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

I thought it was the night before a game, but just read otherwise on t'internet. Either way, shouldn't really be getting THAT drunk in the middle of a world cup tournament!!

Last edited by JamieMacdonald; 19 March 2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 19 March 2007, 11:24 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

If it had been a premiership football player he would have been fined 100k and been splashed all over the papers which woudl have been baying for blood.

He is a proffesional who needs (to a degree) curb his drinking - he is a regular boozer and i'm sorry but you cant do this at this sort of level.

he needs to knock this s*** on the head and stop acting like an 18 year old.

Plenty of time to booze when he retires when sat on millions
Old 19 March 2007, 11:40 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Chav **** IMHO
Old 19 March 2007, 11:43 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

fair punishment that will be soon forgotten.

I dread to think of the national uproar though had it been Rooney who'd done it.
Old 19 March 2007, 11:58 PM
Neilski
Scooby Newbie

Not a harsh punisment at all!

He is an international sportsman representing the country and behaing like that in a tournament is a total disgrace!

Think players forget what an honour it is to put on an england shirt and represent their country!

Behaving like that never fit to be captain as it would be his responsibility to keep all the others in line.

Neilski 8)
Old 20 March 2007, 12:25 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

He got banned for 1 game, and against who? the mighty Canada

They didn't have the ***** to send him home in disgrace, but then again if they'd sent home everyone that was on the lash that night - we wouldn't be able to field a team
Old 20 March 2007, 12:25 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

The punishment is not harsh enough. Your vice captain of your country and you go and do something like that??? Not professional one bit and a **** example to kids.

As a professional sportsman myself i find it unbelieveble
Old 20 March 2007, 12:51 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Why do we want to try rip somebody to shreds every time they do something a bit wrong?

How many of you here shouting your mouths off have gone into work the next day with a stinking hangover?

It's cricket at the end of the day. Hardly a majorly physical sport. Christ the best bowler ever is some fat Aussie bloke.
Old 20 March 2007, 12:57 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Yeas, he was harshly treated.

However, it's only cricket !
Old 20 March 2007, 09:15 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Nope,deserved it.Can't he avoid the pop just for a short while.Maybe go on the lash if they win something?

Beer and cricket is for my level of play.30 and 40 yr old crocks.Game of cricket then off to the pub.Not for International players in a tournament
Old 20 March 2007, 09:29 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Why do we want to try rip somebody to shreds every time they do something a bit wrong?

How many of you here shouting your mouths off have gone into work the next day with a stinking hangover?

It's cricket at the end of the day. Hardly a majorly physical sport. Christ the best bowler ever is some fat Aussie bloke.

Q1 Because he is a proffesional sportsman/athlete who represents England at the highest level and should adjust his drinking to suit - by all means have a drink but dont be an out and out p*** pot and i'm afraid he is heading that way.

Q2 when i was 18 yes but then i was packing chicken legs back then not representing the national squad.

Ok maybe not as physical as Football etc. but large alchohol consumption would be detrimental in his performance for the team and he knows it
In this day and age its not acceptable - he gets paid a s**t load i would imagine - i'm sure he could lay off the sauce a bit.
Old 20 March 2007, 09:36 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
yeah he woz treated harshly coz the whole england team should be sacked, their all sh1te and only flintoff is good and panesar and that bowling maestro i forgot his name

And how is the Scotland cricket team getting on these days?
Old 20 March 2007, 10:05 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Whooaaahh - looks like the mods have woke up
Old 20 March 2007, 10:06 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Not too harsh a punishment. He should have been sent home in disgrace and not allowed to play for his country again...
I appreciate that cricket isnt a sport, but never the less this kind of behaviour when representing your country in a competition that the world is watching is a poor show...
Old 20 March 2007, 10:22 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

A Botham wannabe.
Flintoff may well be to act the fool off field but he rarely delivers the Botham act on field.
Perhaps this recent action will concentrate his mind a little more on improving at cricket.
Old 20 March 2007, 10:32 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Plus it can't be healthy in that heat to be playing with a hangover, they will dehydrate quick enough without being out on the sauce the night before.
Old 20 March 2007, 10:45 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Jeeze, leave the guy alone. What a bunch of pompus crap.

When he can't chuck the ball properly then kick him off the team, you'd think he'd capsized the Titanic by the way you lot are going on.
Old 20 March 2007, 12:03 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No, not at all, he deserved all he got, let's hope the remorse sticks, the fact is he was warned 3 times about his antics in Australia. Lets be fair to those that comment he won us the Ashes, he was a member of a team that won the Ashes Freddie didn't do it on his own, and for me he has been celebrating this ever since because he has not had a decent knock with the bat since 2005, he's grabbed a few wickets but the consistency in his play has been woeful.
Old 20 March 2007, 04:03 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Poor old Freddie. To be honest I think what he did had a certain level of class to it. Just like Olly Reed and James Hunt, when Freddie gets pished he does a really good job of it and it's always colourful!

Anyway, anybody that thinks Blair is a "***" and is willing to go on the record and say it is OK in my book!
Old 20 March 2007, 06:35 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

It's a good thing he's a real person and not your average spineless dullard in the media

Capsizing a peddle-o whilst drunk at night is not a tarnish on this countries reputation, it's a good night out and good on him.

There's far too much of this do gooder BS floating about. Probably the same people who think 5 pints is binge drinking and vote for Blair.
Old 20 March 2007, 06:40 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

got off easy as said above if he was a footballer he would have been all over the front of the papers
Old 21 March 2007, 12:27 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
It's a good thing he's a real person and not your average spineless dullard in the media

Capsizing a peddle-o whilst drunk at night is not a tarnish on this countries reputation, it's a good night out and good on him.

There's far too much of this do gooder BS floating about. Probably the same people who think 5 pints is binge drinking and vote for Blair.
I don't think its a do-gooder mentality that's at work here. Fine, have a good time and a laugh with the lads but Freddie has been going off the deep end for a while now and hopefully this will be a wake up call for him. His job depends on his physical and mental fitness so going off and getting blatted isn't going to help.

Put it this way. If I was to turn up at work repeatedly with a hangover and it affected my ability to work I'd expect some form of disciplinary so why should he be any different? As Funkii Munkii said, its not the first time he's been warned.
Old 21 March 2007, 07:49 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Some of you have no idea what it is to be a PROFESSIONAL sportsman
Old 22 March 2007, 08:39 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I don't see why you should have to be 'holier than thou' just because you're in the public eye. If he wasn't the best person for his position he'd be off the team, no warnings and no matter if he was a skag head or a complete teetotaller.

Is this some sort of jealousy thing? He's doing what people would love to do so they feel the need to bring him down vindictively at any opportunity they get?

Quick Reply: Do You think Freddie Flintoff Was Harshly Punished??