Notices
Sport General sport discussion

England v Ireland what a thrashing....

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2007, 07:32 PM
WRX TWIN TURBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default England v Ireland what a thrashing....

Should not wear the red rose. What a load of CR@P... Watch the slagging start now....
Old 24 February 2007, 07:44 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

At least the Scots can't gloat
Old 24 February 2007, 07:58 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Shocking it was.
Old 24 February 2007, 08:01 PM
white knight
Scooby Regular

There was me, laughing at the Scots giving away 3 tries in 7 minutes.......and then we go and do that....

Shocking, we were comprehensively out-played. Just hope the Welsh now stuff the French to even the championship up a bit!
Old 24 February 2007, 09:16 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I didn't think we played bad, the Irish were just a whole lot better than us.

I'd imagine they are kicking themselfs about the French result - the Irish are the best team this year.

England were never going to win that match....too much history and emotion, and I'm pleased the Irish didn't choke as croke!
Old 25 February 2007, 03:43 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we are kicking ourselves
We didnt play well against france but we should have beaten them
Losing it to a last minute try was hard to take
Still theres always the triple crown
Old 26 February 2007, 02:51 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I didn't think we played bad, the Irish were just a whole lot better than us.

I'd imagine they are kicking themselfs about the French result - the Irish are the best team this year.

England were never going to win that match....too much history and emotion, and I'm pleased the Irish didn't choke as croke!
I agree about England not playing that badly. Let's face it, if Grewcock hadn't been sin binned things could have been different but the Irish took excellent advantage and it was game over.

However, they're not the best team this year - that accolade goes to France and its not the first time Ireland have croked over the Grand Slame. It does highlight the gulf between Northern and Southern hemisphere Rugby though.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:45 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
It does highlight the gulf between Northern and Southern hemisphere Rugby though.
I think I get you - Ireland just stuffed Australia, South Africa and England and then threw away the French game when in control by not taking simple penalties under the advantage rule. Actually, I don't get you at all...
Old 27 February 2007, 07:08 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I think I get you - Ireland just stuffed Australia, South Africa and England and then threw away the French game when in control by not taking simple penalties under the advantage rule. Actually, I don't get you at all...

Hmm. France, England, Wales and Scotland all got beaten by Southern Hemisphere sides and I don't believe you'd seriously suggest that Ireland would beat the All Blacks - would you?
Old 27 February 2007, 07:46 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

we'd beat them before england would . . .
Old 28 February 2007, 04:06 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hmm. France, England, Wales and Scotland all got beaten by Southern Hemisphere sides and I don't believe you'd seriously suggest that Ireland would beat the All Blacks - would you?

If the All Blacks stay true to form they'll choke at the World Cup, then throw their toys out of the pram
Old 28 February 2007, 03:02 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NAF
we'd beat them before england would . . .
I don't think Ireland ever have beaten the All Blacks have they?

Although I agree, on current form they stand a much better chance than England but my only concern is the lack of cover in some positions.

CrisPDuk - the ABs do have a tendency to peak between World Cups but I can't see them ballsing it up this time with by far the easiest group to get out of.
Old 01 March 2007, 09:15 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not sure I'd seriously suggest it, but I can dream can't I

We often used to scare them in the old days by leading at half time against all the odds and being in serious contention after 50 -60 mins but would then get mullered by 40 points in the last 1/4 as fitness etc kicked in. Ireland are a different team now, so if the ABs aren't firing on all cylinders and Ireland play at their peak then we have a chance. Probably our last chance for a while as old pack warriors like O'Connell and Hayes won't be around much longer so we have to go for it.

If nothing else we'll provide an entertaining spectacle and nothing will be left in the dressing room as they say. Problem is i think we'll have to beat France in Paris to have a pop at the ABs, but you can't avoid big teams in world cups.
Old 01 March 2007, 10:30 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

I don't think Ireland ever have beaten the All Blacks have they?

no thats true ..

Although munster have .... does that count ??
Old 12 March 2007, 06:34 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Not sure I'd seriously suggest it, but I can dream can't I

If nothing else we'll provide an entertaining spectacle and nothing will be left in the dressing room as they say. Problem is i think we'll have to beat France in Paris to have a pop at the ABs, but you can't avoid big teams in world cups.
This is what I was alluding to the other week, witnessed by England's performance yesterday against the surrender monkeys. You're never quite sure if an outstanding French side is going to turn up on the day or a mediocre one, such is the mercurial nature of that team. However, England's pack demonstrated how to limit the French game and whilst it would be easy to say France were bad and that's why England won I think that's unfair to a good England performance. If only they'd played like that at Croke Park we'd have had a game on our hands.

The point I'm making is that it will be far too easy for France to choke at the world cup and (God forbid) if anything happened to O'Driscoll Ireland wouldn't be in great shape, which only leaves England who would have to fashion a miracle to have realistic title ambitions.

That's why I think Northern Hemispere rugby lags behind that of the Southern teams. England now have a welcoming selection problem in Wilko's position with Flodd and Geraghty looming in the wings but NZ had that problem in every position, Oz in five positions and probably the same for the Saffers. There needs to be more competition for places.