Sport General sport discussion

England goalie?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 09:33 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question England goalie?

OK, I hate footbal andl I don't, by any means, claim to know anything about it but, is our goalie feckin useless?!

How much does he get paid cos I reckon I could stand around and watch the ball sail past me That's three goals I've seen now where he hasn't even moved a muscle, what's up with him?

Your thoughts
Old 21 June 2004, 09:35 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Dont you mean the croat goalie?? james has played pretty well tonight.
Old 21 June 2004, 10:05 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

No, the England one....I think it was from a free kick, the ball just sailed into the net and he didn't move...did the same against France, TWICE!

Like I said, I know nowt about footie but I would of thought he could at least fallen over or summat so's that it looks like he made an effort
Old 21 June 2004, 11:03 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

They were too quick i reckon thats why he didnt do much,but i agree he should of fell down or something so he looked like he was trying LOL.
Old 21 June 2004, 11:26 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

whats the point of diving when you know you aren`t gonna reach the ball!
James could have done better with the French free kick, but cant see what he did wrong tonight.
I`d be more concerned about the outfield players turning into stone as soon as ball gets crossed into the box.
Old 22 June 2004, 03:07 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Agreed. For the first goal he did well to bat the ball out as it shot of Cole - a kinder ricochet off Terry's leg and it could have simply been an early scare.

The second goal was right in the far corner, he had no chance.

The only iffy bit I saw, I think, was when he came out to one cross and fumbled it, but then made amends by making a decent save.

All in all, looked solid IMO. Not the greatest keeper we have ever had by any means, but as long as he saves his clangers for the Premiership.....
Old 22 June 2004, 08:37 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Well I'm with BobT - I was thinking the same this morning and was going to text the BBC to ask the pundits if they thought James was carrying some sort of Injury (the only reason he would't attempt a dive).

The Second Croatia goal was certainly "saveable" - You could see the ball coming over the players and there was nobody else in the way. James was just planted to the ground. For the Zidane free kick he shooed Ashley Cole away from the post as he was confident he could cover the whole goal - and then just watched the ball sail past him.

He'k looking like our weakest link at the moment - we'll just have to keep scoring 4 and hope he doesn't let in more than 3
Old 22 June 2004, 09:49 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Don't start me off on 'Calamity James' Saw enough of his poor goalkeeping at Anfield. The other teams who signed him after we gave him the boot must have had a gutful of him too! He is poor, no two ways about it.
Old 22 June 2004, 01:36 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey

The Second Croatia goal was certainly "saveable"
Hmmm, not from the replays that I remember - wasn't it tucked up right in the top corner (almost hit the post) and James was in the centre of his goal, if not further to the other side....wasn't he?

I'm no James lover and as I said, he certainly aint the best we've ever had, but on the whole I think he's been ok, especially out and out shot stopping.
Old 22 June 2004, 01:56 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JohnMcC
Hmmm, not from the replays that I remember - wasn't it tucked up right in the top corner (almost hit the post) and James was in the centre of his goal, if not further to the other side....wasn't he?

Precisely - He was in the wrong place and his feet had taken root. Goalies are supposed to watch the flight of the ball and take the appropriate action - He seems to like watching the Ball and standing still ??? - He should have come out and claimed the ball or moved to his right as the ball came across !

Still it's much easier from the armchair - but he needs to look like he's trying. As BobT said - three times now we've seen him tree like - worrying !!!
Old 22 June 2004, 02:45 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Ok, I see where you are coming from. I'm not an expert on goalie positioning so don't really know - my point was just that, from where he was, he had no hope.

I think with Zidanes free kick it was one of those that looks on the TV like he could have maybe got (near) to it, but in reality (especially if he has seen it late) its already gone in. I can't remember his psoitioning on that one - I think his biggest 'mistake' there was that he made a movement to his left IIRC, so he was going the wrong way initially.

To be honest though, it isnt James that I am so worried about but our defenders (or rather, any player defending) and their inability, seemingly, to stop someone from getting a head or strike on the ball in the first place.

You saw James mouth the words "two f$@king free kicks again" when Croatia scored their second.
Old 22 June 2004, 03:10 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

david james scares the life out of me, this was the guy that proclaimed that when his perfomances went **** up at liverpool it was due to the fact that he played too much playstation!!

I dont think his perfomances have been that bad (yet), but there is always alarm bells ringing when i watch him.
Old 22 June 2004, 03:47 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Aye John - goal keeping is almost completely about being in the right place at the right time - If you're having to jump around like Bartez it's coz you're in the wrong place. The thing is - If you find yourself in the wrong place you have to do something about it - If you cant/wont they you HAVE to be in the right place more of the time.

As James seems unwilling to dive then he has to get in the right place or get on the first/next plane home . The reason he moved to the left was because he told Ashley Cole to **** off from the back post when it was clear that Zidane was going to have a go - Had Cole Been on the left side back post when Zidane took his kick then James Should have moved to the right. Would still have to pull of a great save but at least he would be heading the right way from the start !

All IMHO .
Old 22 June 2004, 04:10 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Just wait till Luke McCormik is noticed and matures a bit more. Then we will have a class England goal keeper.
Old 22 June 2004, 05:16 PM
buff
Scooby Regular

robert greene of norwich is the next england keeper...mark my words
Old 22 June 2004, 10:09 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Wow, a reasoned discussion, I thought I'd get shot to bits for this post given my complete lack of football know how!

I realise he can't save every shot but if I were paying his wage I'd like to see him at least try, he might surprise himself
Old 23 June 2004, 08:51 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by buff
robert greene of norwich is the next england keeper...mark my words
Nah will be Chris Kirkland from Liverpool
Old 24 June 2004, 07:50 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

RedKop - we've enough trouble with the current set of Liverpool England *stars* without getting more .

Tonights the night for Michael - and whilst Gerrard has been pretty good I reckon he's got more for us too