Sport General sport discussion

All Blacks vs. England

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2003, 03:26 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well it's a long time since i have ventured out of the hutch to post in here.

But a big game lies before the English and New Zealand rugby teams. So without further ado, I will give you my score prediction.

All Blacks 39 - England 20.

Should be a cracker game can't wait.
Old 14 June 2003, 07:26 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

You may want to edit your post Thescooby, Ive just noticed youve got the scores the wrong way around

Seriously this will be a good test to see how far England have come since beating everyone in sight this year, either side to win it by 1-5 pts, thats where my money is, shame its on sky and im at work
Old 14 June 2003, 09:50 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Thumbs up

Nice one England, 15-13 to the egg chasers.
Old 14 June 2003, 09:54 AM
planky
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep
Old 14 June 2003, 10:11 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Bugger off planky
Old 14 June 2003, 10:23 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Money Talks and Bull5hit walks 5/1 thanks!!
Old 14 June 2003, 11:40 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Edge of the seat stuff!

A good start to the day!

Old 14 June 2003, 12:21 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL
Old 15 June 2003, 12:38 PM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've got to hand it to you poms, you know how to tackle..........pity you couldn't attack your way out of a paper bag. The one time you even remotely threatened to score.......good old johnny kicks a bloody drop goal

But having said that, was a pretty stop start game thanks to Stu the great. 35 penalties I think it was. I'm looking forward to next weeks games vs. Wales and you lot vs. the Aussis. And you BETTER beat them.

Until we meet again (World Cup Final) the All Blacks bid you farewell....
Old 15 June 2003, 02:55 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thescooby,what happened with the All Blacks??i couldn't believe how bad they were in attackthe flair has goneand i think you could do with a decent kicker,that Spencer bloke was terrible,i could kick better than him

Anyway there's NO argument that England is the #1 rugby team in the worldand the once mighty All blacks are now following the men in white
Old 15 June 2003, 07:42 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I'd love to watch any new zealand general sports program this week.
Old 16 June 2003, 07:26 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

That was a pretty scrappy game with the only try coming from the AB's. If the AB's hadn't conceded penalties, I doubt England would be on the score sheet!

It'll be an England - All Black final and I am sure both sides will have perked up by then to make it an astounding game.

Old 16 June 2003, 09:20 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

so so gutted!!! Oh well, kind of expected it. So, my predictions for the World Cup - Carlos will learn to kick, the relatively inexperienced All Blacks will gain a lot from the forthcoming internationals and Trination games, and Saturday's game will be replayed as the final.
One thing is for sure - England will not win the Cup unless they can step up a gear and start to score tries against top class defences. Relying on the fact that Wilko is without a doubt the best kicker in the world (in fact the best fly half all round) is not the way to win matches.

Steve (a half English Kiwi and huge fan of England, unless they are playing the Blacks).
Old 16 June 2003, 09:38 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Good on you Steve, you're spot on. England just can't score tries! It's quite sad really

Planky - I think Carlos got a bit of a raw deal. The conditions were absolutely dreadful for kicking, and Little johnny would have been about the only player in the world who could have landed the kicks that he did. Carlos actually made quite a good effort out of it to nab 3 from 7. I highly doubt any other kicker in the world would have been able to match Wilkensons display.

And don't worry, the flair is only temporarily gone...with Tana back at Cenre, Douggie out to the wing and the master Christian Cullen at fullback, the flair will be fully on fire
Old 16 June 2003, 09:55 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I think possibly Mehrtens would have had a better strike rate with the kicking, but his playmaking is nowhere near as good as Spencer's (and those sideburns of his should never be seen on TV )
And yes - lets have Cullen back to link up with Howlett and Ralph. Oh and while we are at it, lets investigate whether Ben Cohen has any distant antipodean ancestors.

Steve
Old 16 June 2003, 01:13 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tut tut tut. You kiwi's don't know how to lose gracefully

NZ looked to be playing (IMO) close to the top of their game and they could only just get through the England defence. (e.g. 1 try and one refused try, the only GOOD decision the ref made the entire game...: let someone else do it! ). It really is the best defence in the world when we have 13 men and can still hold back the All Blacks! ALL GAME!

England only had rare chances of getting tries. Not due to a bad attack, but due to good recycling by NZ, they had the ball all the time. IMO the score was a fair reflection of the match. NZ did not punish england for their mistake, but wilko definitely showed NZ that they couldnt give away penalties in their own half, even in that weather.

If the ref wasn't such a dick then NZ would have been down to 13 men at a few points in the match as well and they may have been beaten a bit more comprehensively Re: Stamping on head incident, and holding on in tackles, just after D'allaio got sent off.

Last thought: Sky Sport commentators are a joke. They don't even know all of the refs hand signals
Old 16 June 2003, 04:30 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dan i agreeyou aint going to get a Kiwi to admit they were beaten by the better team on the day,even their bloody news papers were slagging off Englands well fought win..Come on guys you were BEATEN for the 2nd time on the trot and that makes it 9 successive wins (4 SA,3 OZ,2 NZ) against Southern hempisphere teams by the mighty All whites England

I think they have to get used to the fact England ARE the best rugby team in the world...Sorry Thescooby i had to say it again

What ever happens on Saturday,win or lose we've made the point that England can play away from fortress Twickenham and beat the top teams in the world.
Old 16 June 2003, 10:42 PM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Yadda yadda yadda yadda
Old 17 June 2003, 05:21 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Wink

Are you agreeing with me??
I'm not up to speed on the Maori dialect
Old 17 June 2003, 05:24 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

oi b####r off. I've had enough stick about England's flukey win. Lets just put it behind us now shall we.

Steve
Old 17 June 2003, 10:24 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't you startflukey win LOL
Old 18 June 2003, 10:45 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Two words.......World Cup.

If you haven't heard, John Mitchell has made 8 changes for the Wales test. Sorry England, you were just a little trial run
Old 18 June 2003, 11:02 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Smile

Two words: BAD LOSER!

Trial run, pah. That was supposed to be your very best squad. Couldn't even get round 13 men
Old 18 June 2003, 11:23 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

Dan - who wants to be a good loser? I guess being a good loser comes with experience.
As I think I mentioned earlier, the All Blacks side that played on Saturday contained a lot of very talented players, but with little experience in playing international rugby. If you have seen any of them play in the Super 12s you will know what I mean. Compare these games to Heineken Cup matches - a different league.
The All Blacks have a lot of matches to play prior to the World Cup, including the Tri-Nations, and I think this will stand them in good stead. England, on the other hand, are an established and highly experienced team who will have less to gain from their pre-WC matches. So by the time the WC comes around the All Blacks will (hopefully) have become a great team, as opposed to a collection of superbly talented players.
Another question - what happens to England without Jonny Wilkinson? I believe Charlie Hodgson is still out. Paul Grayson is good but is he good enough? Fly half is the only position where England do not have real strength in depth at the moment, yet it is one of the most important positions on the field.
The World Cup will be a cracker and hopefully there will be an England/NZ final, as I believe the 2 teams cannot meet before the final. But NZ have a much easier route to the final so who knows?
A bad loser, me? No. I just put on the rose-tinted glasses and use the old "ah but that was an experimental side" line.

Steve
Old 18 June 2003, 11:46 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Wink

Almost forgot. I must say a big THANKS to the goon on the all blacks who stamped on jonny's hand and kneed him in the face.

I'm sticking to the "couldn't get round 13 men" line.

Old 18 June 2003, 11:53 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I think the knee in the face was probably accidental. No comment about the stamping on the arm
Ok then, I will stick to the "if England hadnt been cheating they wouldnt have been down to 13 men" line
Actually better rephrase that to "if England hadnt been CAUGHT cheating..." All part of them game old chap!
Steve
Old 18 June 2003, 12:01 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Just worked it out. If Both fininsh top of their groups (Which NZ should and England May if they beat SA) then we meet in the final. If either are runners up then we meet in the QF.....

dun dun daaaaaah.
Old 18 June 2003, 04:00 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Talking

No If's..We will meet NZ in the final after topping our group but you never knowit could go pete tong in the QF's for the once mighty All Blacks
Old 18 June 2003, 04:28 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Could go all wrong in the qualifiers if john Kirwin has his way with Italy
Old 18 June 2003, 04:39 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

yes Dan - perhaps the Italians can keep the All Blacks below 100 points this time around!

Quick Reply: All Blacks vs. England