Notices
Sport General sport discussion

What A Game

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2003, 09:45 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely awesome! Best game I have seen in a long time and the quality of the game made the loss that easier to accept.

HAHA at Mcmanamans goal attempt - get back on the bench son!

Van Nistelrooy and O'Shea my men of the match (for man utd). Ronaldos last goal was top class!

Simon.
Old 23 April 2003, 10:27 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

They scored at just the right times........if you know what I mean.

There keeper made some great stops.......... a game of could have beens for me.

Real are a great team. Man U did us proud though!
Old 23 April 2003, 11:53 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thought Real first half performance in Madrid was best footie I've seen for ages.

You had your chances to win it, but you've got a weak keeper, surely to blame for 1st and 3rd Ronaldo goals ?

Macca did well I thought, no doubt playing in that team has improved his game loads. Nice cheeky laugh when he came off to boot.

Well you still have one more champs league at home left.
Old 24 April 2003, 12:25 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

O'Shea sticking the ball through Figo's legs made my night. What's the betting that'll be on Soccer AM on Sat .....NUTS!!!
Old 24 April 2003, 12:34 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

beckam free kick is class they should of played him from the start.
Old 24 April 2003, 04:49 PM
crowt123
Scooby Regular

oh how i laughed with macca as the scum booed him off...ha ha ha...you'll win sod all again!!!!! want to borrow some silverware?
van nistelrooy is good...ronaldo is great!
Old 24 April 2003, 04:55 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Don't know what it is about Real, but everything just looks in slow mo when you watch them play, few passes go a miss too.

I see the Italians are emerging once again.....
Old 24 April 2003, 05:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hehe it still amazes me to see no comments on how well we played. It takes two teams to make a match that good!

Macca is **** always has been always will be.

I dont see Ronaldo breaking the goal record for champs league?

Simon.
Old 24 April 2003, 06:56 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Yawn
Old 24 April 2003, 09:38 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Si,

2nd season in a row without a trophy for you guys coming up?

/evil grin
Old 24 April 2003, 11:43 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Chris - Id rather be in our position than yours any day. That one match against Real I would swap for the worthie cup. Maybe one day you will know how that feels - but not any time soon

Si.
Old 24 April 2003, 11:49 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I thought only 1 team was playing ? Lets face it they never even got out of 2nd gear.

Anyway, this is how I see it :

Barthez - Billy Smarts would be proud to have him, clown
Ferdinand - hyped up player from WCup for which you paid £30m
Keane - time catching up with hard man of footie, also has the nerve to go in the media today criticising his own team when he is a major weak point !!
Veron - another waste of 28m, who can play odd decent game, still better off on C4 doing Ali G show
Ruud - must admit is looking better each game, is true class player and goal getter.

There you go, I do have something good to say about ManUre.

Old 25 April 2003, 09:00 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

ash1 - for once I agree with you pretty much 100%. Keane is nowhere near the player he used to be - you hardly notice him in a match these days bar the odd foul here and there. Nicky Butt is a far more influential midfielder at present.

Veron plays well on the european scene, has a few good games here and there in the english games - no way consistent enough.

Barthez - amazing some games - awful others. I think the two most infuential players we have lost in the last decade are Cantona and Schmeichel.

Ferdinand - some people still rate him - I personally think Brown and O'Shea are far better. Jaap Stam was a lot better.

Beckham - I think if we can get £30m for him then we should. Thats not to say I dont rate him but £30m is a lot of money. He is lacking the cutting edge he used to have. Crosses that were once dispatched immediately now take another touch. Raking crossfield passes are going astray more frequently.

My top players at the moment:

Ruud - wasnt too sure when we signed him but he is amazing. If he had the pace of Henry then he would be close to a perfect striker. As it is Id prefer him over Henry - our most influential player all season and a great asset. Just needs to stop the diving.

O'Shea - amazing talent and no fear attitude. Very good attacking, very fast defensively and positions himself well. If it wasnt for Rooney doing so well for england I think this chap would be the PFA Young Player of the Year.

Brown - very pacey and surefooted. Can keep up with the best strikers in the world. Maybe a little too attacking for a centreback but adds another dimension to our attacking front.

Solskjaer - may not get all the goals that Ruud does but has been blinding on the right wing. Great crosses, always guaranteed to make a few chances in the area. Never give up attitude.

Butt - gets better each match. Relentless tackling and tracking back. Is the Keane of old.

Scholes - what do I need to say about this chap? Outstanding. His movement, vision and shooting are top notch. Just needs to learn to tackle better.

Simon.
Old 25 April 2003, 09:25 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Looks like being another "played some fantastic football but came away with nothing" season for Man Utd. Still at least you'll finish 2nd in the premiership rather than 3rd this year - so at least you are improving
Old 25 April 2003, 10:12 AM
scoobynewboy
Scooby Regular

Lads,
The reality of it is that no team even Man U has the divine right to be at the top of the table or winning Cups etc. on a consistent basis. Im a big Man U fan, i try to get over to about 5 games every season. However their performances this season were inconsistent. In terms of the league, dropping points at home to Villa, Man City etc wont win you leagues. In the champions league they played better. However they gave too much respect to the likes of Zidane, Ronaldo and Co. Keane certainly does not command the midfield like he used to and Scholes certainly would have made a difference on the night. Ferdinand for me doesnt cut it im afraid. The first goal he was playing Ronaldo onside as he was at least 3 yards behing the other back three. Barthez again very dissapointing.

Question:
In new topic called (What changes would you make) Please respond.
Old 25 April 2003, 12:57 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Forgot about O'Shea, massive prospect and one who didn't seem phased by the occasion or the real allstars.

Think Keanes injury problems (apparently he can't train for a few days after a match?) has contributed to his downfall. Perhaps Butt should take over now and Keane move on or play odd games ?

Wouldn't mind seeing Becks at Pool on the right and Gerrard in the middle with Hamman in that Makalele defensive midfield role. Then one wide winger (overmars, duff, kewell) on the left. Think that would sort some of our problems out.
Old 25 April 2003, 01:40 PM
SwinYE5
Scooby Regular

Wink

Becks at Anfailed?!!! That is the last place on earth he'd go!!!

Mind you, I forgot about your very successful season with the main trophy - the Worthy Cup - and pushing for a brilliant fourth place in the Premiership to grab that last CL spot! Maybe he would fancy such a team! I mean, soon you'll be up there with the Real's of this world!

[Edited by SwinYE5 - 4/25/2003 1:40:24 PM]
Old 25 April 2003, 02:49 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Talking

Swin,

Even I can tell ash is having a bit of a laugh.......
Old 25 April 2003, 06:22 PM
SwinYE5
Scooby Regular

Wink

I know but I can't help but try to wind him up a tad! He understands, I'm sure, as he never misses an opportunity!

P1ssing edits!!!

[Edited by SwinYE5 - 4/25/2003 6:23:30 PM]
Old 26 April 2003, 12:02 AM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Smile

There you guys go again, I give you lot an honest opinion on your best and worst players and all you can do is shoot me dowm.

I don't see why Becks would want to stay at ManUre. He doesn't have an allegance cos he is a Londoner.

We need a right midfielder come winger and he fits the profile. We have consistently proven over the pst 3/4 years to have the best defence. All we need is the midfield to supply the goals for Owen and Baros. Thats my vision and I can see Becks there on the right and Overmars/Duff/Kewell on the left.

Cmon gents, lets not be picky, but if you don't win the PL from here, then you will have failed.

Swin - you learn more from losing than from winning. After this week, I thought you might know that too...

Oh, btw I think Taggart got it wrong big time, he left Becks on the Bench. Whats he trying to prove ?

[Edited by ash1 - 4/26/2003 12:09:23 AM]
Old 26 April 2003, 09:26 AM
SwinYE5
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm sorry Ash, I thought we had the best defence in the Premiership this season! Just imagine what our defence would be like with a world class 'keeper between the sticks...

I don't really think that leaving Beckham on the bench made any difference to the overall result. Ole, if anything, is more of a goal threat from the right than Beckham, albeit that Beckham can put a cracking cross in...but then again I've seen Ole put in some of similar class this season.

Just because Beckham came on, scored a brilliant free kick (first one we had in his range anyway) and tapped a second over the line when it was going in anyway, everyone is coming out and saying they can't believe he started on the bench.

Ole has been superb when he's played on the right this season and Beckham hasn't really been playing as well as he could. Couple this with the fact that Beckham appears to have no impact on a game when faced with Carlos and SAF made the right decision I think. Put Ole out there and try and get Carlos back defending a majority of the time.

We're going through the usual ABU media sh1te. They accepted our performance was a brave one and we were involved in an excellent enthralling game so they've got to stir up feelings in the camp some way. Alas, why the *** was Beckham left out, he didn't like that one bit and is ready to leave for Real...blah-de-blah-de-blah...
Old 26 April 2003, 07:19 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hey ash I agreed with most of what u said. However we do have the best defence this season if we are talking about the prem league

Simon.