England scrape by

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2002, 10:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Well, what did you think of that!!

England outplayed by the Slovaks most of the time - but win!!

All the tosh about the pitch being bad is bollox - when you are being paid £20-100,000 A WEEK then you had better bl00dy well play on ANYTHING and play WELL - sodding Prima-Donnas!! (thats the Man Utd group mind you!) they think they are so fkucing high and mighty!

Lets hope we can put on a better display at Southampton on Wednesday? Dump the man.Utd. players and we may have some passion!

Pete
Old 12 October 2002, 11:34 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

First half slovaki played better but that was expected with them playing at home but second half we played well and scored 2 good goals btw first 2nd half goals weve scored in a year.

On the terrible pitch ..it was worse than my local playing field down the road from me,so you can see why England had probs playing on a bumpy mud patch,they ONLY play on quality prem grounds with nice flat grassy pitches.
Old 13 October 2002, 03:54 AM
Little Miss WRX

Angry

Here, here Pete!!!!!! I agree totally!!!!

What a sh1te game [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
England are a fookin' disgrace to us [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Owen? Oh yeah, managed to fookin' redeem himself by scoring a goal, but he played fecking CRAP for the other 90 odd friggin' minutes!!!
Beckham? Should have been sent off [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Player of the match? NO ONE [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] all were crap [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Disgraceful behaviour and atrociously inconsistent refereeing. I am a fully qualified referee so I CAN comment!!!!!! that referee lost control early in the second half of the game and he bloody well knew it!!!!

Slovakia worked hard throughout, England? long ball all the way
Congratulations England, but you did not deserve that win!!!!

I saw bits of the Scotland game and that seemed way more passionate and exciting than the tripe we had to watch

Crappy pitch???? I have refereed on worse pitches in the Sunday league with players who have to pay subs to play - Premiership football players you are a fecking joke [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Rant over chaps, thanks for listening
Old 13 October 2002, 06:01 AM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

Angry

we were lucky to win that
Old 13 October 2002, 09:07 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

My and my mates were pissing our self. We were terrible.

that pissed off turned over to sky sports 1 and watched leigh in the play off's to get into super League.

Disgrace! ! !

Si
Old 13 October 2002, 11:19 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

How come when I made a post similair to this a after the win against Denmark I got flamed!

Nothing to do with being caught up in the excitement of the World cup?

Must try and dig it up......

I believe out players are told they are gifted individuals and therefore think they don't have to put in the effort of other teams.
Old 13 October 2002, 01:03 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Absolutely terrible. And those ********* in the crowd fighting?!

Glad we won as I watched in a boozer in Scotland - was good to see them shut the fukc up when the 2nd one went in!

Heskey was the only one trying - that's saying something.
Old 13 October 2002, 03:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Davyboy - I see you have found the post!! Just re-read it, World Cup fever or what?

The post is different though, we beat Denmark on a good pitch, without moaning, with passion and as our opening to possible World Cup glory ................. they were just crap last night, I doubt whether there will be anyone who disagrees!! The two games were world cups apart!! if you get my drift!

Pete
Old 13 October 2002, 05:06 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Lets see some improvement on Wednesday!
Old 13 October 2002, 06:52 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We WON be happy..might not of been the best game in the world but that wasnt expected playing in Slovakia..ALWAYS hard games to play.

[Edited by planky - 10/13/2002 6:52:52 PM]
Old 13 October 2002, 09:10 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

It was a hard game but the lads played well.Beckham as usual saved the day.....come on Macedonia.

Well done the lads
Old 14 October 2002, 10:50 AM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Beckham saved the day????? WHAT? He did **** all and was a fecking liability to us with his stupid tackles that should have seen him walk!!!!!!

Were you watching another match or watching with your eyes closed?

Not being funny but Beckham is hyped up beyond belief by the media and idolised too much for my liking.
With what he is on a week, mere kicks of the ball are a fecking fortune let alone the once in a blue moon goal

Michelle

Not a Beckham fan at heart
Old 14 October 2002, 12:08 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Fatherpierre,
'all those ********* in the crowd fighting'

I was there and they was not fighting, just getting battered by thugs in police uniforms. These 'police' steamed into the crowd hitting anyone (including women). I am not saying that some of the England fans involved are angels but the police totally overreacted.

I was in the section where it was happening in a position that if the police had carried on charging at us I would have been crushed against the fence. Because of this I moved to the other section but as most other fans also decided to do this I could not even get a sight of the pitch. My friends and I left just after half time so didn't even see the goals.

And before anyone starts getting on their high moral horse, If the England fans were out of order I would say. But then again the people who slag off the fans the most are not normally there i.e. certain members of the press.

A long and expensive weekend, but yes I will be going to other away games although not Turkey as I feel that may be just too risky.
Old 14 October 2002, 12:42 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Michelle,

Fair play about you been able to comment on the refereeing side of things but your comment about the pitch is wrong IMHO. No matter how much you are paid a crap pitch is a crap pitch and as such makes the job all the more difficult. Playing on a pitch like that makes it a lot harder to play swift one touch football (not that we looked like we could). You can't guarantee how the ball will bounce...in short it restricts the better players and generally acts as a leveler.

If you were given sub standard equipment to work with do you expect you could do your job as well as if you were provided with the most up to date well maintained equipment?

With regards to Beckham, he is class! He is way over hyped but at least it is positive most of the time which makes a change in this country when most of the time all we want to do is slag off and knock our talented sports people.

Guy
Old 14 October 2002, 11:09 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

3times..I read in the paper the ref has sent his referee report to Uefa and it contains complaints about English fans behavour, which is sad coz you just know the slovak police were wanting a good fight.
Old 15 October 2002, 09:04 AM
3times
Scooby Regular

Planky,
also read that the referee was putting that in his report. Can fully understand this as he must have known exactly what was going on in the crowd as he wasn't doing much else.

Forgot to mention earlier, when I left the ground the Army were also gathering outside.

Scary place, and it is being considered to let these people into the EU.

I do not know why England cannot be allowed to take there own stewards to these games as I think that they would be able to deal with things better. These countries also need to learn about crowd segragation but unfortunatley they are too greedy and want to cram as many people into grounds as possible.

Another point, our tickets were 25€, theres worked out to £3.
Old 15 October 2002, 11:10 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Angry

3times...theres a story going around(the mirror today) that the English fans started pushing towards the Slovaks coz of the racist chanting from the Slovaks..true or not??? but the reporter from the Mirror says this is 'two faced' when i quote "most of the english fans wearing their Hackett shirts and baseball caps are probably racist themselves"

I personally think the story is a load of bollocks but you can see the trouble weve got as English fans when youve got crap like this coming from the ENGLISH gutter press[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by planky - 10/15/2002 11:13:19 PM]
Old 16 October 2002, 09:15 AM
3times
Scooby Regular

Planky,

I would have to agree to an extent that some of those that reacted to the racist abuse are probably racist (or think they are) themselves. My big problem is the total overeaction by the 'police', who I feel were looking to the slightest oportunity to 'steam in'. From where I was it seemed that an English 'fan' threw a (plastic) glass of beer, at which point a hail of coins, cans etc came back from the Slovaks, English fans then started throwing things back at which point the police steamed in hitting anybody but not aimed at the ones who were throwing the missiles.

A lot of the problems with the reporters is that they are either not there at all or too far away to see what really happens. In the Telegraph today it reports that on the first charge the police did not draw their batons, this is total bull, the batons were drawn outside of the ground on the way in.

What the mirror reporter said about the racists just about sums up a conversation I had at the airport with some lads, when i mentioned the hypocrisy of the reaction the racist chants i was told 'but its different when they are our own'.

I could go on forever about this as there is so much to say but I really should be at work.

BTW do the press not know that Hackett is out, the current trend being Burberry, maybe the reporter in question was not there afterall.
Old 17 October 2002, 06:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

And now look what happens!! 2-2 against Macedonia!!

Out Played, Out Thought, Out Gunned - Passion came from one player - Beckham (and I HATE him!!! - but he was an inspiration!)

England seem so ordinary

Pete
Old 18 October 2002, 02:07 AM
Little Miss WRX

all we want to do is slag off and knock our talented sports people.
Not at all!!! I acknowledge talented sports people. But Beckham has a stupid streak in him, which I am sure if he was not who is "is" then he would walk off the pitch in most games for his behaviour.
The attitude he showed in the Macedonia game was appalling!!!!
He is supposed to be an EXAMPLE to the youth of England!!! some ******* example!!!

I am not asking him to be a goody two shoes to the ref, but come on, a bit of self restraint wouldn't go amiss, there is honestly no need for some of the idiotic challenges and dissent to the ref that he clearly shows.

Can't argue with the pitch thing really I guess, but the performance was still very poor.
But given the fact that some players are earning more a week than most of us could dream of in a year, don't you think that some training could be put forward for training to cope in bad conditions?????????

The Macedonia game? Well, England had life!!! Some lovely football, some crass and awful decisions by the ref (not just ones that affect England!!!) but again, some appalling behaviour from Beckham and others.
I agree with Pete on some bits, Beckham was man of the match on the England side, but they were out played by Macedonia. Hats off to them, England should have won that.

Still...........there is hope yet
Old 18 October 2002, 06:53 AM
subster
Scooby Regular

You can understand the fans getting frustrated and trouble flaring when they have travelled all that way (slovakia)they have constantly received abuse and are standing in abysmal weather watching a load of over paid gimps who just can't be bothered.
Did you see Beckham when he came over to the fans (Southampton)he clapped them and when they clapped back he smirked, he must have been thinking ( we play this crap and the idiots still applaud us.)
Old 18 October 2002, 06:58 AM
subster
Scooby Regular

At one point I saw Paul Scholes play a 10 yard pass with his right foot, he must have nearly injured himself, He gets paid all that money plays football 6 days a week and he still can't pass a ball 10 yards with his bad foot

(oh know I'm rattled already and I've haven't even got to work yet!)
Old 18 October 2002, 08:47 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

As far as I'm concerned a good deal of England's problems can be put down to Beckham's performances for England. I can't help but wonder why he never seems to be out wide. You'll see him in the centre, you'll see him on the left, but you'll rarely see him actually wide on the right.

Now maybe he is told to do that, but the fact is that England have very little width on either side of the pitch because both of their wide midfielders (Bridge aside) seem to prefer to play through the middle. You don't see Beckham creep inside to the middle when he's at United, and that's because he would get lifted out of it if he did.

When he creeps into the middle of the park the whole shape of the 4-4-2 system is thrown off balance simply because there is no outlet on the right.

To sum up, I'd say if he played the way he does for United, stays wide and puts in those crosses, then yes, he could be one of England's most important players. But he doesn't - so he isn't
Old 18 October 2002, 10:02 AM
Cat42
Scooby Regular

Smile

Totally agree you Redkop with what you say about Beckham. Ok I can't fault his work rate but if he stayed on the wing more and done what he does best (crossing!) then we may be more effective and have a better balance. For some reason he thinks he has to be everywhere. You're a winger - play like one!