Sport General sport discussion

Super League announcement

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2021, 10:08 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Super League announcement

What an utter disgrace and with the huge outcry hopefully this won't get off the ground. Nothing more than utter greed by clubs who are the richest in Europe and not about their footballing quality - Arsenal being the biggest laugh of the lot having struggled to get a draw with Fulham yesterday but think they deserve to be in an exclusive league with Europe's elite in terms of champions league trophies won between them something Arsenal have never won and can't even qualify for in recent years.

It is based on money and nothing else for the rich to get richer.

If it was about football there would be no need for a 'super league' as the current competitions are perfectly setup to allow the best clubs to play each other based on performance/merit - you beat everyone else to get to the final. Simple.

What it shows is everything that is wrong with the owners of these clubs - not a jot of interest in football and it's fans and all about their pockets and how much they can make out of owning the club.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 19 April 2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 19 April 2021, 10:22 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It is a shocking idea. Simple as that.
Old 19 April 2021, 11:16 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

It's just pure greed by the owners simple as that, hopefully the threat of banning teams and players by UEFA/Premier League will make those teams think again, the problem is with foreign owners now incharge of most of the bigger English teams it's all about money/profit, it's just a business to them and no longer a sport im afraid 🤬
Old 19 April 2021, 01:54 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Was gutted when saw that. Would destroy football. And crush lower league teams. Hopefully gets stopped and owners get fined millions.
Old 19 April 2021, 04:06 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

I agree that this 'Super League' is ridiculous. I can't see it happening as FIFA won't sanction it and will then stop any of those players from competing in a FIFA competition.

That said, European football is also a joke at the moment. They are expanding the Champions League (can't believe they call it that seeing as most of the teams involved aren't champions!) which will dilute it and the Europa league is just laughable to be frank about it.

I enjoy seeing the best teams play against each other but it needs to be an elite competition, there's too many clubs involved

If it was me I'd keep 2 competitions and I'd do this:
- a true champions league. Only the champions of the various leagues allowed to enter and no knock out. A proper league of champions.
- a knock out competition for the next strongest teams from those leagues. No league phase. Single leg games. Teams to be seeded by coefficient with stronger teams coming in later (like the FA cup)

Thoughts???
Old 20 April 2021, 10:01 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
I agree that this 'Super League' is ridiculous. I can't see it happening as FIFA won't sanction it and will then stop any of those players from competing in a FIFA competition.

That said, European football is also a joke at the moment. They are expanding the Champions League (can't believe they call it that seeing as most of the teams involved aren't champions!) which will dilute it and the Europa league is just laughable to be frank about it.

I enjoy seeing the best teams play against each other but it needs to be an elite competition, there's too many clubs involved

If it was me I'd keep 2 competitions and I'd do this:
- a true champions league. Only the champions of the various leagues allowed to enter and no knock out. A proper league of champions.
- a knock out competition for the next strongest teams from those leagues. No league phase. Single leg games. Teams to be seeded by coefficient with stronger teams coming in later (like the FA cup)

Thoughts???
Unfortunately FIFA/UEFA care more about money just as much as the elite clubs do and their formats are based on money and not on footballing merit. The European Super League is a war about money and taking control of it away from FIFA and UEFA and those clubs getting all the profits instead of FIFA/UEFA.

Footballing reasons no longer come into it when the sport is worth billions and this is where it has all gone wrong.
Old 20 April 2021, 08:04 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

And it's already dead in the water like rats leaving a sinking ship! Their reputation is already tarnished though damage done.