Sport General sport discussion

Can England recover?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2014, 02:22 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can England recover?

After the disgraceful performance of England in Brazil, the strength of some of the newer teams, the emergence of the USA, can England ever become a force in world football again?

They played a very dull style of football (could be forgiven if it worked, but.....), showed little in the way of any basic skills compared to some other teams, lack of imagination and lack of passion.

One news article seemd to sum it perfectly when they said English football has been left behind.

So, is there an appetite to change things, or has England now really been consigned to third world football?
Old 15 July 2014, 02:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Third World players have more hunger / skill

Last edited by dpb; 15 July 2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 15 July 2014, 02:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Not to mention gelling as a team

Last edited by dpb; 15 July 2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 15 July 2014, 02:31 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Ask yourself over the many years,have they ever recovered?.SJ.
Old 15 July 2014, 02:44 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apart from 19 fecking 66 has England ever been a *force* in world football?
Old 15 July 2014, 02:55 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

They were still good in 1970, but Brazil were better! They reached the semis in 1990, but I agree, perhaps a force isn't the right word. Will they ever get any better?
Old 15 July 2014, 02:57 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

It's a bit like looking back on our empire, we should stop doing that as well
Old 15 July 2014, 02:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Who cares
Old 15 July 2014, 03:03 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by dpb
It's a bit like looking back on our empire, we should stop doing that as well
Well, I am not English, so I don't really care. I do just find it odd that a country that invented the sport, has fanatical fans and has one of the best leagues in the world is so poor at it at international level.
Old 15 July 2014, 03:19 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

There needs to be a complete clear out at the FA, a total overhaul of the systems at school & youth level, and a national manager with the both the bottle & the sense to select the best team of players, rather than those who'll sell the most shirts.

So in answer to the question, no I don't think England will ever be a major force in world football.
Old 15 July 2014, 03:23 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

It was an interesting observation by the former Brazilian great, Jairzinho, that in his opinion Brazilian football started to go downhill when major players started to leave to play abroad. He also noted that many Brazilian teams have a large number of foreign players, preventing young Brazilians from developing at the top level. Sound familiar?
Old 15 July 2014, 03:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

And they shouldn't have had ronney in the squad this time or last, he doesn't have the stamina I'm afraid
Old 15 July 2014, 03:33 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

The problem IMO is the Premier League.

The Premier League is about providing the best football, regardless of nationality or money, it's business.

The FA/England is about nurturing English players and getting a pool of high-quality players who have played at the highest level (and ideally, together).

The two are mutually exclusive, and the one that wins out is naturally, the one with the money. So no, until the balance is fixed, we won't have a world-beating England team.
Old 15 July 2014, 03:47 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Don't the Germans have the same issue though? It's not as if Bayern has no foreigners, and the Bundesleaugue is not exactly Sunday football, but they have managed it.

I think the FA just don't have the *****, as opposed to the clubs having too much power.
Old 15 July 2014, 03:53 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

The Bundesliga is not as popular (yet) as the EPL, and I suspect though do not know for sure, that it is not as flooded with foreigners as the EPL. I suspect that might be down to the requirement the German FA imposes on clubs to have Youth Academies in order to have a licence to participate in football.
Old 15 July 2014, 04:45 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Some interesting stats support the view that the EPL has lower levels of English participants.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...any-coach.html
Only around a third of Premier League players are English while 60 per cent of players in the Bundesliga are German

From http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news...premier-league
English footballers accounted for just 32 percent of the minutes played in the Premier League, compared to 59 percent for home-grown players in the Spanish Liga and 50 percent for home-grown players in Germany's Bundesliga

So it certainly seems to be the case that the EPL with it's money is just out to recruit the best regardless of where they come from. I cannot see how the FA can change that without reducing the status of the EPL. Though that in itself may be a good thing. I don't particularly think it's healthy that multi billionaires can effectively play with clubs as a dalliance.
Old 15 July 2014, 05:08 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
And they shouldn't have had ronney in the squad this time or last, he doesn't have the stamina I'm afraid
This made me chuckle. Although Rooney didn't have a good World Cup, he probably still covered more ground than any other English player. The skill was missing, but the effort wasn't.

The fa need to concentrate on schools and grass roots, the rest will fall into place. Poorer areas create more skilful players, because a lot of the time a football is their only form of entertainment. Technology has a lot to answer for.
Old 15 July 2014, 05:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yur aving a larf

David Luiz has the legs on Ronney.!
Old 15 July 2014, 05:58 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
The Bundesliga is not as popular (yet) as the EPL, and I suspect though do not know for sure, that it is not as flooded with foreigners as the EPL. I suspect that might be down to the requirement the German FA imposes on clubs to have Youth Academies in order to have a licence to participate in football.
That is the key, and to be fair, the premier league academies are getting better.

The other big problem that has to be addressed is that of parents at junior level matches

The 'win at all costs' mentality is still far too prevalent. They are kids, they should be learning to enjoy playing the game, if they are any good, the rest will come naturally
Old 15 July 2014, 07:52 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
There needs to be a complete clear out at the FA, a total overhaul of the systems at school & youth level, and a national manager with the both the bottle & the sense to select the best team of players, rather than those who'll sell the most shirts.

So in answer to the question, no I don't think England will ever be a major force in world football.
Agree on all counts

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
The problem IMO is the Premier League.

The Premier League is about providing the best football, regardless of nationality or money, it's business.

The FA/England is about nurturing English players and getting a pool of high-quality players who have played at the highest level (and ideally, together).

The two are mutually exclusive, and the one that wins out is naturally, the one with the money. So no, until the balance is fixed, we won't have a world-beating England team.
Kind of agree but the fact is England were still $h1t3 before the EPL

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
That is the key, and to be fair, the premier league academies are getting better.

The other big problem that has to be addressed is that of parents at junior level matches

The 'win at all costs' mentality is still far too prevalent. They are kids, they should be learning to enjoy playing the game, if they are any good, the rest will come naturally
Agree, shocking. The drive is to either whack the ball first touch or whack the opponent
Old 15 July 2014, 07:56 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Toni Kroos, world cup winner, to Real Madrid - £20 million.

Luke Shaw, won nothing of note, to Man Ure - £25 million.

Half decent English/British players cost a premium, yet mediocre, I'm not inferring that Kroos is mediocre - he's far from it, foreign players can be bought on the cheap.

These cheap imports then keep promising English youngsters out of the first teams of most clubs, Southampton a bit of an exception.

If England ever want to even try and compete at International level again, then there has to be a massive change from the ground up. Coaching, facilities etc.

Also, there needs to be a cap on the amount for foreign players in squads reintroduced. The EPL is only supposedly the "best league in the world" due to the richest clubs buying the best players from around the world.

As much as I dislike Man Ure, under Alex Ferguson they at least brought good British players through. Whether that will continue under LVG remains to be seen.

In short, unless something changes, we're fcuked on the world stage.
Old 15 July 2014, 08:50 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i'll take having the EPL - over winning the world cup
Old 15 July 2014, 09:28 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

English mentality is about negativity, we criticise players for everything and never seem to accept their limitations or failures. We all make mistakes but British footballers are never allowed to forget theirs.
Old 15 July 2014, 09:35 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

No it won't, we're sh17 at it. Now let's obsess about something we're vaguely good at instead and hope English football dies a quiet death.
Old 15 July 2014, 10:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Even our cricketers come good circa every 5 years!
Old 16 July 2014, 08:35 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

This is Zak Brunt at 8 years old, he's from the village where I live. Trialled at all the big English clubs but was signed by Athletico Madrid . We have the youngsters coming through the academies you only have to look at the players that have come through Southampton. What we are lacking is coaching staff with vision.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ieOAiQVnE6Q

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKmzh9TjsY

Last edited by Xx-IAN-xX; 16 July 2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 16 July 2014, 08:58 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
i'll take having the EPL - over winning the world cup
I find this hard to understand. I get the tribalism of football, I really do, but whichever club you support is not representative of why you originally supported that club!

I don't know who you support, but for arguments sake, let's say it is Manchester City, and you are from Manchester, so naturally, you support them (but could have supported Utd.). You support them because as a Manc, you want to beat the Scousers, the Cockneys, etc. But, Man City's 27 man squad for 2014 has 8 UK players. To the best of my knowledge, none of them are from Manchester either.

On that basis, you may as well support any team you like in the EPL. At least in international football, you can fully realise your triballistic tendencies to the full. A real feeling of one upmanship as something you belong to beats someone else.
Old 16 July 2014, 09:10 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Excepting of course that a fair number of northern european etc clubs have african etc players, who come for the work....

And why not.
Old 16 July 2014, 09:22 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

It's almost exactly same situation as immigration in general

Why pay more for someone less skilled and less keen
Old 16 July 2014, 09:47 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer
I find this hard to understand. I get the tribalism of football, I really do, but whichever club you support is not representative of why you originally supported that club!

I don't know who you support, but for arguments sake, let's say it is Manchester City, and you are from Manchester, so naturally, you support them (but could have supported Utd.). You support them because as a Manc, you want to beat the Scousers, the Cockneys, etc. But, Man City's 27 man squad for 2014 has 8 UK players. To the best of my knowledge, none of them are from Manchester either.

On that basis, you may as well support any team you like in the EPL. At least in international football, you can fully realise your triballistic tendencies to the full. A real feeling of one upmanship as something you belong to beats someone else.
Man Sh!tty is a great example

I bet if you ask any Sh1tty fan (over the last 12 years) they would say that the English League (EPL in particular) has given them the most amazing time/excitement - for 9/10 months each year of those 12 years

incomparable to a simple "big" win once every 4 years

just my view

Quick Reply: Can England recover?