Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

Kent Rally Forest Stages - 8/10/00

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2000, 01:13 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I got my free tickets for the rally in the post last night. There is no mention of a meet-up at the Barretts showroom and I see that Paul Holland has edited his original message in the 'General' section to remove any suggestion of a meet too.

I presume that there is now no official meet? (Could you confirm Paul?). Anyone going to the rally from the Canterbury side of Ashford fancy an unofficial meet and drive down instead?

Sean
Old 29 September 2000, 02:39 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Sean,

I think a breakfast meet has been ruled out afaik, but apparently alternatives are being considered. In the event that there is no official meet I'm confident that we can arrange a decent unofficial meet with a reasonable turnout. I would very much like to see one go ahead so that S.E. owners can finally get to meet up, with the possibility of many more such gatherings.

I wonder how many on this list live in this vicinity and would like to meet up before the rally. Bearing in mind that the rally starts around 11.30 I think, the meet would probably have to be around 8.30am-9.30am. How about a show of hands to determine numbers and possibly discuss a backup plan for an unofficial meet in the event that an official meet is ruled out.

Nito
Old 29 September 2000, 02:49 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Nito,

I was thinking about a 9am start too. I am taking a couple of friends with me, one lives in Sandwich and another in Sturry, so a meeting point in or near Canterbury between 8.30 and 9.30 would suit me. I suppose Canterbury is good for Thanet people but perhaps the Ashford area would be better for access from the M20, however, Ashford is a bit close to the rally for a decent burn-up!

Sean
Old 29 September 2000, 10:49 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Hi guys got my tickets today. Name a place and I'll see you there beforehand.

Tim
Old 01 October 2000, 07:43 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lads, I got my tickets too. Name a place and a time and I will be there as well.

RonnieH
Old 02 October 2000, 09:43 AM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Smile

Have tickets, looking forward to a blast/breakfast.
I'm traveling from West Malling so either Canterbury or Ashford is good.

Old 02 October 2000, 06:43 PM
andyo
Scooby Regular

I think you are misinformed if you think it starts at 11.30!!!

you will probably miss two or three stages by then!
most rallies start at 08.30 or 9.00am

Andy
Old 02 October 2000, 06:46 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Comes through Challock ( I think thats where it is) at 11.30, those with free tickets have been advised to get there for 11.00.

Tim
Old 02 October 2000, 06:49 PM
andyo
Scooby Regular

Sorry,
I stand corrected- i am doing stage start at bedgebury forest as i belong to Bexley Light Car Club who are running the rally so i will be there mega early!!!!

Andy
Old 02 October 2000, 07:22 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Andy,

How are you?? Will I get to see you at this rally or will you be marshalling all day. If you can make it to the Barretts stand then pop your head in!!

Sean I've got a couple of ideas for the morning meet if Barretts don't come through with anything but I'll give them a ring tommorrow and see if anything looks likely. At least we can arrange things at short notice on here!!

Does anyone fancy a pub meet after the event to grab a drink and some food after a hard days spectating?!?!

regards
Nito
Old 03 October 2000, 10:48 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,
Not knowing the area can somebody suggest a cheapish place to stay on Saturday night. I am coming from Bournemouth and didn't fancy a very early wake up...

Also any ideas on meeting points gratefully received.

Hopefully see you there,
Rich (Black v4 STi R13WRX)

[This message has been edited by RichB (edited 03 October 2000).]
Old 03 October 2000, 11:36 AM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rich,

Hi, Not sure what type of accomodation you require but there are 2 Travelodges within 5 miles of Canterbury.

If there is a meetup in the morning I expect it will be in Canterbury. The rally is very close to the A28 main Canterbury - Ashford road (about 30 - 45 mins drive out from Canterbury).

The Travelodges are:

Northbound on the A2 at Dunkirk, west of Canterbury, just south of the A2/A299 roundabout at Faversham.

Eastbound on the A299 between Faversham and Whitstable, north of Canterbury.

Alternatively, being near the seaside and quite touristy there should be cheap hotels/B&B places in Broadstairs, Canterbury, Ramsgate, Dover etc.

Sean
Old 03 October 2000, 11:45 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Sean,
Thanks for the info, I think Travelodge is looking good at the moment. Will try to get to the early morning meet when some of the more local of you get things sorted

Rich
Old 04 October 2000, 12:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi there

I am planning to come down from Northampton (north of Watford). I spent my formative years living near Darford and i still class myself as a Southerner - can i come?
Old 04 October 2000, 10:13 AM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nito, any joy from Barretts?

If not, what are your ideas for a meeting point? Being a sunday morning I don't know anywhere locally off hand (apart from Little Chef type places) that are open before about 10am for breakfast.

I thought that the Safeway at the Thanington end of the Wincheap in Canterbury could be a possible meeting point - but the shop itself only opens at 10am. We would have to be leaving Canterbury between 10.15 to 10.30 I guess to get to Challock at about 11.00

Sean

[This message has been edited by SeanG (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 04 October 2000, 02:42 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys,

OK, I've spoken to Barretts and looks like an official meet at their premises is off as they haven't really had long enough to organise a proper function. Those of you who know Barretts know that they don't do things by halves. However if there is a good response to this meet then I can foresee the beginning of many excellent functions by Barretts as well as many unofficial meets.

Sean, I thought about the Safeway restaurant but there is no access to wincheap from the A2 when heading from the M2 towards Canterbury. I think the best place for a meet would be the little chef at Harbledown on the A2 (opposite the gate services). They open at 7.00a.m. There is also a Holiday Inn right next to it where those who want to stay the night could stop. The price of a room is £54.50 but if there is a group booking then you could probably get the £43.50 special rate. It's a year old and rooms are supposedly much better than travel lodge. The price also includes a continental breakfast.

The little chef/holiday inn at harbledown is located on the A2 Canterbury bound just of the M2. (For those who are interested, Holiday inn is on 01227 865000)

The Rally starts at 11.00am but last year there wasn't a lot of parking and the response on Scoobynet has been massive so expect a lot of scoobies. The organisers have been pre-warned about the scooby phenomenon and they're a little preoccupied as to how they will fit us all in. I suggest we arrive there at around 10.15-10.30 at the latest to ensure parking spaces. From the Chef to the stages will probably take around 30-45mins. This means that to have a decent meet we should really be looking at meeting at around 8.00am, or earlier if people prefer. We could then leave in convoy after breakfast and head into Canterbury heading out past wincheap and on to Ashford.

Anybody want to go with this idea? It's a good size car park at the chef and for any of those travelling from Essex or wherever it makes a nice rendevouz so that we can all arrive in convoy, might make it easier for the parking organisers too. Paul, of course you are more than welcome as is everybody, the more the merrier, I hope we can make this one a good one!

A show of numbers..("me too"'s would do) would be useful as I phoned the chef and if there will be quite a few of us they would like to be pre warned so they are staffed and stocked up. Thoughts guys??

regards,
Nito

[This message has been edited by NITO (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 04 October 2000, 02:53 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Nito,

Good work! Sounds like a good plan to me. I am going to a wedding reception the night before so an early start should be interesting. My car load will probably have 4 Olympic breakfasts please.

Sean
Old 04 October 2000, 03:07 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Count me and possibly up to 4 passengers <B>in</B>

Tim
Old 04 October 2000, 03:20 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Sean

At last, Another Thanetian!

Where abouts are you? I'm away this weekend so i'll miss the rally (even though barretts, bless 'em, are giving me a ride in the Rally Car tomo ) but quite fancy doing the blast down to the coast that the SE lot seem to arrange now and again.

Russ
Old 04 October 2000, 03:25 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Russ,

Hi, I live in Broadstairs - quite close to the Thanet College. I have a silver W reg MYOO turbo saloon.

Sean
Old 04 October 2000, 04:36 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Yup, I do believe that I've seen your motor!

I've got a Sonic Blue Sti V-Limited, work in Broadstairs. You're not anything to do with Greenwood Engineering at Hereson Rd?

Old 04 October 2000, 04:41 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Cool

Russ,

No nothing to do with me, sorry!!

I saw your car a few weeks ago outside the Chinese takeaway near the Bradstow Mill.

Sean
Old 04 October 2000, 06:13 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Sean

Sent you a mail

Russ
Old 04 October 2000, 06:42 PM
Richard Solley
Scooby Newbie

Hi i will be going to the rally but not to sure about the time as ihave a party the night before i will try and make harbledown it will be nice to see some new faces as i have never been to a meet before
Old 04 October 2000, 06:44 PM
Richard Solley
Scooby Newbie

My Reg R749UKJ
Old 04 October 2000, 07:18 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Richard,

I was going to get out at the traffic lights the other day and introduce myself but thought the lights were going to change any minute!!

It would be nice to see you at Harbledown, if not, will see you at the rally.

Regards,
Nito
Old 04 October 2000, 08:43 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Nito,
I should be along with a car full. We may skip breakfast, what time are you planning on leaving the cafe?

Nigel
Silver WRX
Old 04 October 2000, 08:47 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Nigel,

Around 9.30am I would have thought.

regards,
Nito
Old 05 October 2000, 11:14 AM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Hi James, Kris, Paul Mc
On Sunday I could meet you guys at the Esso quite early if you like and we can plan a route down to the rally. I suppose we would have to meet at around 07.00 to catch breakfast and get there on time.

What do you think??

Martin

Old 05 October 2000, 04:10 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Martin - We'll meet you at 8 at Maidstone services!

Spoke to Paul this morning, and agreed to meet at the Esso on the A21 at 7.15 on Sunday morning! It'll be better than you coming all the way up the M20!The SKYLINE'S and the STI are coming too!

We can then go on to the cafe for about 8.30!

James

Quick Reply: Kent Rally Forest Stages - 8/10/00