New remote key for 2006?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2010, 09:07 PM
luke m
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New remote key for 2006?

Hi there,

I have just purchased a MY06 WRX from a private seller. It came with only one key, which is a one button remote, no security tag, no key number tag (car owners manual only shows two button remotes, but key seems to work).

I would like a spare, but my local dealer quotes £240+vat for key & programming . I feel physically violated!!

A local place had a go at doing a mechanical key with transponder (no remote) and while it opened and started the car, if I opened the car after locking with the remote, the alarm would go off, so no good.

Do I have any other options? Any other place to buy a remote (this is £200+vat of the total quoted above)? Or do I have to bite the bullet??

Thanks for any help, Luke.
Old 20 March 2010, 09:46 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if you locked it on the remote then unlocked it with the key in the lock the alarm will go off
Old 20 March 2010, 11:17 PM
luke m
Scooby Regular

Key was removed from lock. Alarm went off when car was locked with remote, then opened with non-remote key - specifically when tried to start engine with said non-remote key.
Any ideas?
Old 21 March 2010, 02:00 PM
twooo
Scooby Regular

I'd say that your system WILL need re-programming, purely for your own peace of mind. After all, there is a key for your car and alarm system out there somewhere (potentially with the seller still, if he's in any way unscroupulous (sp?)

I 'd also say that the alarm will be going off if you lock it with the remote and then unlock it with the key because the remote also sets the alarm, whereas just using the key to unlock it will not de-activate the alarm.

What about the immobiliser? I HAVE to use the remote to deactivate it on my MY05.
Old 22 March 2010, 01:31 PM
luke m
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree, I'd like it reprogramming. Sounds like I'll probably have to bite the bullet on this one.

Is there any history of Subaru franchises giving 10% of for Scoobynet members?!

Anyway, I thought the immobiliser was taken care of by the transponder in the key. Having said that, when the immobiliser kicks in if the car isn't started, I disable by pressing the remote button.
Old 22 March 2010, 01:41 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't bite the bullet just yet. My alarm was playing up sometime ago (2002 car) and as I only had one alarm fob I needed to source how to fix the problem and how to source a new fob. Anyway long story cut short I spoke to Sigma Sam on the SIDC site and he issued me with the 4 pin code (the master code) for my alarm/immobiliser and a combination of digits in order to reprogrammed my current fob and how to reprogrammed any other Sigma fob. Mine was the single button fob but I'm guessing he can also help you with your issues. He doesn’t charge as he/whey were contracted to issuing cars with an after service or something of sorts.

HTH

Rob
Old 24 March 2010, 11:24 AM
major
Scooby Regular

Buy a new key fob on ebay and program the fob yourself. It easy and don't get rid off from the stealer. Pm's me if you need detail
Old 25 March 2010, 10:29 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

he wants the one thats all built into the key as he only has 1 key so it means he needs a new key anyway