Notices

Worried about the wife driving a "carjacking" car

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2002, 11:48 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all the car-jacking going on at the moment i'm getting a bit worried about the wife driving ths STi with my 5 mth old daughter in the back.
I've told her to lock the doors when shes driving and when ever she is involved in an accident to call the police whatever the circumstances!!!!!!!!!!! And dont get out the car!!!!!!!!!
This is getting me quite worried!!!!!!!!!!
How about you

Cheers
Darren
Old 07 March 2002, 01:32 AM
RalphLauren
Scooby Regular

Hi Darren,

I am so paranoid (who said that, what) about taking my car out I even lock the doors before I start the engine.
Missus isn't to happy with it as I keep locking her out.

My friend knocked on my windows when I was in Taunton nearly crapped myself.
But Croydon I especially keep it locked while I drive through.
Old 07 March 2002, 08:32 AM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Guys

I'm getting loads of grief from my wife. Ever since all the media attention she keeps asking me to sell it . I can understand why she feels uncomfortable with the car, but I'm not selling the Scoob because of criminals.

I may have to get a 'low key' car for the wife and kids.

Thanks

Sonu

Old 07 March 2002, 08:43 AM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Angry

I feel exactly the same way. My wife drives the car with our 6 month old baby in the back quite frequently and neither of us are really that happy at the moment.

Although the chances of anything happening are quite remote I'd rather not take the risk.

The reaction of other road users to the car is also alarming, just the other day while driving with my wife and daugther, a driver of an XR3i deliberatly went round a round-a-bout the wrong way to cut me up!

Why? I'd not seen him before, I was driving slowly because of the baby in the back, I did not pull out in front of him. He was coming from the other direction and went round the wrong way and sat there grinning! He obviously thought it would be fun to cut me up. To$$er.

I don't need this.

Old 07 March 2002, 08:53 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Cool

Your more likely to get hit by a bus !! ......You could probably count on both hands the amount of jaking's that have taken place.
Perspective lads. And if that doesnt work just sell it.
Old 07 March 2002, 09:04 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

not being funny buts whats more important? your wives fear or your car?

Its only a big boys toy after all!
Not saying you should sell up but at least take their concerns into consideration.
Old 07 March 2002, 09:13 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

my wife has also started to stay in when the weathers bad in case she gets hit by lightening
Old 07 March 2002, 09:15 AM
ayrz1
Scooby Regular

Smile

Don't let scum dictate your life!, I leave my car running when I fill it up with petrol and nobody has take it yet! My morals are I'll brake there legs if I find anybody getting into my car!
Old 07 March 2002, 09:28 AM
Mikael_S
Scooby Regular

Darren, it's the wife and daughter you're worried about right?
You should instruct her to just hand over the car, and probably no
harm will come to them. We had some carjacking lately here in Stockholm also, maybe 5 or so the last couple of months, and preferably big and expensive Audi 4WD cars. Some of them have later been used in robberies.
Old 07 March 2002, 10:37 AM
RalphLauren
Scooby Regular

'Your more likely to get hit by a bus !! ......You could probably count on both hands the amount of jaking's that have taken place'

But in London You are more likely to get hit a bus than anything else.
Nearly everyweek there is an incident involving a bus.
Old 07 March 2002, 12:01 PM
SHESCOOBY
Scooby Regular

I have a Imp Turbo, I have a 3 year old daughter aswell, I now have her sitting in the front with me, as people can see her in the front, if shes in the back not alot can see her,

If i was a case of carjacking, I would make sure my daughter would come first, like any parent would.
I do lock the doors once we are in, and when filling up with petrol, I take her with me to pay.

It is worrying and scarey but why should we go without cos of the scumbags around.

Old 07 March 2002, 12:13 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You can set the Sigma alarm on a scoob to lock the doors the moment the key turns in the ignition which is what we have done. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you how to do it in the standard instructions that you get (which are a 'cut down' version). I think we have the full version somewhere on the pc, I'll have a look later and post again if I have

Sal
Old 07 March 2002, 12:24 PM
mrx76
Scooby Regular

I'm getting worried for my own safety also, not just my family. What with the recent newspaper story where a guy had his front door smashed down and a gun pointed at his head whilst in bed one night for the keys to his scoob.

I have vowed that if anything like that happens the car goes cos I don't need the hasstle, though it would be sorely missed.

I have also set the sigma to lock the doors, option 6 and 7 I think?
Old 07 March 2002, 12:33 PM
Chris T
Scooby Regular

Whats your point

a young lady was shot in the head for her mobile phone, a few years ago a mate of mine was shot six times(he survived) whilst walking out of a chinese.

My point - crime happens - if its not your car - its your house - not the house then your wallet. yes its annoying and frightening
but....

a life lived in fear is a life half lived
to quote a phrase

drive your car - make it distinctive - get a tracker - get on with it.

Lighter note
handy tip - make sure the bay crys every time the car stops - what hardened crim will won't to lose street cred by driving a car with a screaming baby in the back :-)

Old 07 March 2002, 12:50 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

a life lived in fear is a life half lived
to quote a phrase
Thanks for that. I have been bitter for ages since my house got broken into years ago and I went all vigilante and it sort of became an obsession for me to hate crime and cops(for their lack of action). I forgot that for every bad thing that happens, there are plenty of good things that occurs.

Old 07 March 2002, 01:04 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ChrisT / Katana: well said.

Old 07 March 2002, 04:37 PM
Jayce
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

I hear what your all saying, and I agree with some of you that statistically, it is unlikely to happen.

But, I have been a victim, very recently, and frighteningly, I wasn't given the opportunity of handing over the keys, I just got battered by 2 blokes in ski masks and a big spanner. They didn't manage to take the car (I ran off with keys in hand), but fact of the matter is, I will never feel safe getting in and out of my car ever again.

Its about time the law started to do something about it, and show these b******s that they cannot get away with these kinds of criminal activities.

I feel a petition coming on. Anyone interested??

Something like, life for carjackers, or legalise Tazers!!!
Old 07 March 2002, 08:02 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all of your input

Maybe if all this stuff keeps going on they will have to make MACE legal.......thats all

Cheers
Darren
Old 09 March 2002, 10:42 AM
yoza
BANNED

Question

Does any body know wot the penalty is for carrying CS gas or PEPPER SPRAY in your car?Ive hear rumors that its a firearms offence.Im personally considering taking the risk coz no ones taking my car when Im in it(sound a bit bravado but i mean it).I can understand if some s***house pointed a berretta at you whilst being parked up or boxed in YOUR GOING TO GET OUT.But the oppertunist car jacker hanging round traffic lights etc would be in for a shock.My brother had an MY99 and was tryjacked twice in three weeks,they fortunately were not very well planned and he got away.On the first occasion some body simply tried to open his door but as we all do,he locks himself in so he jumpped the red light and got off.The second time he was again waiting at lights when he was hit from behind by a car with five people in.The impact was very light and instead of the offending driver getting out to check for damage and or exchange ins details a gorrilla from the passenger side got out,there was enough room between him and the car in front so again he decided to do one.Unfortunatly these episodes and the unwanted attention that we all attract have swayed him to sell the car,he now drives an is200 and says he now feels invisable,no attention from scum at all.But I dont want to down grade my MY01 to an is200 or whatever coz of some low life wants me car.Also while im on,is there any way you can get your petrol gauge to show empty when you leave your car parked up?As it plays on my mind when ive got a full tank and its there for everyone to see.
Old 09 March 2002, 04:10 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

To turn on Standard Sigma M30 anti-hijack on/off please follow these instructions.

Turn vehicle ignition on, press 4 on the keypad and immediately turn off the ignition.

To de-activate as above but 5.

Old 09 March 2002, 04:25 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

For MY01, page 10 onwards of the Security System Operating Instructions lists the key pad features.

Nigel
Old 11 March 2002, 09:42 PM
saxovts2000
Scooby Regular

Talking

Car jackings are getting more common. I was witness to one in January this year. Same sort of MO 3 blokes charged out from behind the car wash at this poor little danty woman scare the living daylights out of her and get off with her car!! And me like an idiot decides to be all heroic and chase after them. I didn't catch up with them and whilst of the phone to the police (in chase) they was more worried about getting my details and what I was driving than what had happen.
It is a joke, my mum doesn't want me to get an impreza now, but why should I live in fear just becoz of scum!!!

I agree that maybe we (being car mad folk) should get a petition up and running demarding the change in law....allowing you to defend your car weither it be "let them get away with it shut the car day and zap the hell out of them" or flame thrower out of the side of the car!! ok bit extream!!

rate over MikeD
Old 12 March 2002, 01:33 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Worry solves nothing.

If you dont worry, it doesn't mean it's going to happen.

God forbid.

Scoty
Old 03 July 2002, 12:18 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I have a two year old daughter and as much as I love my scooby, my kid comes first. In the event of a car-jacking, if my kid is in the car, I will hand over my keys to them.....but that doesn't mean they won't get their come-uppance from me. If my daughter is not in the car, I will do the honourable thing and run these guys over (repeatedly) if my car is still running. I'll probably just get away with a fine just as they will probably get away with comunity service if they hijack my car.

Its a shame that I have to resort to this kind of vigilanti mentality. But who's here to help protect us? I mean a woman goddamit was beaten up in public for her car in broad daylight. Nobody even bothered to help her out.

[Edited by Katana - 3/7/2002 12:20:52 PM]