Notices

is this possible? anti-theft idea

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2002, 06:41 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poss that this may have been done, but...

would it or is it possible to have a immobilizer timer similar to the time lock of a night safe.

eg. you have finished with the car for the day so you time lock it til say 7am. even if some scum bag breaks in steals your keys its impossible to start the car.

this could be a minor pain if you want to nip out for some **** at 3am, but at least you would'nt be up a 3am worrying about your car.

Just a thought......

Steve
Old 06 March 2002, 06:51 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you let me know how to do this if its so easy (i will give my local bank a visit )

seriously, if someone turns up with a flatbed they'd be pro's so they can have it. im thinking more towards the oportunist (spelling?) that kicks your door in demanding the keys. you give em the keys and tell them that they will have to wait til 7 o'clock.
Old 06 March 2002, 06:53 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but what about when they cant get your car started what are they going to do to you then!

At the end of the day its a piece of metal that can be replaced. I know most of us care about our cars, but i for one would not be wanting to risk my life or anyone in my life just becasue an oppertunist broke in and my car would not start.
Old 06 March 2002, 10:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Steve001,

i suggested a similar thing about a year ago (under the pseudonym of Keyfob) - but i am a bit braver now!.

Basically, i proposed an anti-hijack button that rendered the car inoperative for, say, 30 minutes (per key-press?).

There would be NO BYPASS MECHANISM, other than towing or lifting.

Thus, any thieves or car-jackers would be severely restricted as to what they can actually pinch! No amount of intimidation would help them.

It is all about putting the fear back at the crims doorstep, rather than ours!!!

mb
Old 06 March 2002, 10:26 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Boomer (we meet again )

A similar system was introduced a few years ago, don't know who by, but as I understood it people in the US were being car jacked and told not to touch anything before they got out the car. Thats why Cliffords sytems is completely automatic. NO DETAILS WILL BE PRINTED HERE SO **** OFF SCUM BAGS READING THIS. Not saying you stole the idea just saying its been tried but the scum found a way round it.

Cheers
Richard
Old 07 March 2002, 12:08 AM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

sigma m30 has a powerlock or something. when armed the keyfob wont even turn off the immobilser. till you ahem un-powerlock it.
If the buggers brke into your house when you are on your hols it wont do em anygood.

Dont want to give too much detail on the net though about how it works.
Old 07 March 2002, 12:40 AM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Sigma M30 (as fitted to my00) also has an anti-hijack function. It locks the doors automatically when you get in. Obviously there's a bit more to it than that, but I ain't telling the scumbags who might be tuning in! This function won't be much use if Mr Double Hard Bar Steward decides to smash your window in, but it might stop the odd traffic-jam opportunist, whilst you're sat there picking your nose. The thing is, this function isn't enabled as standard, so you need to dust off that long forgotten alarm manual & get it enabled - it only takes 1 minute, & I don't go anywhere without it!

Trending Topics

Old 07 March 2002, 01:33 AM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

Doesn't it also unlock the doors when you switch the ignition off?
Old 07 March 2002, 03:30 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Talking

What about the new generation Cobra alarm, it has a four digit pin code on the keyring which must be entered before the car will start. Anyone wants/demands your keys give them to the scums and leg it. Having one fitted thurs £288 fitted. Thatcham class 1.
Bob
Old 07 March 2002, 06:10 AM
SLIGHT
Scooby Newbie

Do you chaps have "The Club" over there? While it's not the greatest anti-theft, it is cheap and quite popular over here. My favorite club story is the one where a woman was being carjacked by some fool reaching in the door. Her club was laying on the seat and she wacked the SOB, breaking his arm. Also recently a 68-yr old ex-CIA agent was 'jacked by some idiot and the bad guy ended up in the hospital. I guess government training is good for something. I've never heard of a Subaru being 'jacked around here. Quite often, these idiots can't even handle a stick (manual) shift. That's been reported in many cases, where the bad guy couldn't get moving unless he took the driver too. Not a good thing. Take care.
Old 08 March 2002, 12:26 AM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

The trouble is, if we tried twatting a scumbag with a club in this country, WE would get done for assault, & the scumbag would probably successfully sue for compensation!
Old 08 March 2002, 01:08 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Surely NAVTRAK Trakbak is the best answer to this whole episode, although I'm struggling to find a site or stockists. When I looked at it before their Anti-hijack option lets them nick the car, either by nicking, car-jacking or breaking your door down and demanding the keys at gun point). As soon as NAVTRAK know it is nicked, either automatically if nicked, or notified by you if car-jacked etc, they'll start the tracking in the usual way but the car will also automatically shut down a few miles down the road and refuse to budge, except obviously on a low-loader. By this time the OB should be onto them via the tracker anyway.

Unfortunately as I couldn't find it I've now fitted Tracker Retrieve, still better than nothing and keeps my Insurance Co at arms length.
Old 03 June 2002, 06:44 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

The idea in theory is possibly its just a timed circuit.

But it would only be a single point of immobilisation, and pretty easy to bypass if they looked around for it.

Personally i'd just go for a 'Tracker' and 'Black Jax' from Clifford. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that if someones going to steal my car they will take it on a flat bed, in which case an immobilser is pointless.

Ian

[Edited by IanW - 3/6/2002 6:45:19 PM]