Notices

Gap Security

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2001, 07:38 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to be getting a new Clifford alarm system fitted to my car but not sure who to get to install it. Has anyone had a Clifford alarm fitted by Gap Security? if so how would you rate their work? Or can anyone recommend a good dealer for me?
Old 21 December 2001, 10:56 PM
bobz
Scooby Newbie

Dont do it!!!!! GAP Security are not good news. I was going to go for them, but after a good old chat with Max, found out a little secret about them.

"As far as Gap are concerned, they are still the subject of an ongoing Trading Standards/VSIB case which has also seen
some court action. Steer well clear my friend. Infact, steer clear of any mobile installers as it's just not possible to perform anything like a competent installation on the side of the road instead of in a comfortable and well equipped workshop."

Ive got my MY02 coming in March and am going straight up to Leeds to visit Max. He knows his stuff!!
Old 21 December 2001, 11:26 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that life saving advice! Thats all I needed to hear to make my mind up. I didn't think it could up to the same standard as workshop fitted alarms but I had to ask to see if anyone had any experiences of them. I too would like Max to fit my alarm but I think its just a bit to far to travel

[Edited by toby69 - 12/21/2001 11:27:04 PM]
Old 23 December 2001, 09:26 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

Bob,

I'm alarmed by your conversation with Max. if this conversation is to be believed, then I think it would only be fair of Max to confirm these allegations himself, and furthermore to explain the FULL story surrounding this case. I'm sure Max knows the situation and will be honourable enough to put this embarrasing situation right before matters get out of hand. I can explain if you like MAX, but I feel it is your duty to put the record straight. It is wrong to act as "Judge, jury and executioner" and I would strongly advise anybody concerned to contact GAP for their side of the story so as to make an informed decision.

The second point I would like to make is that of the "Mobile Installations" It is alleged that Max has also said that is impossible to carry out a good installation other than in a workshop enviroment. This is utter nonsense ! The only time I would not carry out an installation would be if it was raining haevily. Most of my installations are done outside and I can assure you it is much easier to carry out a good installation in natural light. I would describe many of my customers extremely fussy individuals, and I always make great efforts to ensure their complete satisfaction - whatever the conditions.

I started off in this industry in 1979 and have had the benefit of working for three alarm companies (Zemco Automotive Electronics, Laserline and GT)and during that time was offering on site technical support to dealers. I can assure you that the installers I held in highest regard were more often the small mobile guys. These "one man bands" often put pride before profit and won their respect by turning out quality work consistently.

This is a big country ladies and gentlemen, their maybe a good guy just around the corner !
Old 24 December 2001, 01:15 PM
Luke
BANNED

Nick, I would agree with you. I visited a "TOAD" centre in N.London. When i checked the car, it nearly turned violent.....

They stayed very late that night to get it sorted. It was the worse case of workmanship i have ever seen.( The product was fine )

I dont care if the fitter wants to do it up a tree.As long as it is well fitted and safe.

The small business man has more to loose.

[Edited by Luke - 12/24/2001 1:16:06 PM]
Old 24 December 2001, 02:29 PM
Spec
Scooby Regular

Question

So are GAP any good or not??
Anyone from Cumbria had an Cat 1 fitted recently? and from where?
Old 30 December 2001, 09:21 PM
Telf
Scooby Regular

I've just had an alarm fitted by GAP, I was very pleased with the work. I phoned them on a Tuesday lunchtime, and it was fitted by 3pm the next day.
Old 02 January 2002, 02:27 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I have had a Toad MP5 fitted by Gap security recently, took them over a week to come fit it and i am certain that it aint working like it should do, I would rather take my car somewhere else now and wait with them whilst they do it, at least you can check on their work.
Old 09 January 2002, 05:48 PM
cat vehicle alarms
Scooby Regular

Smile

"Nick is right"
I am a mobile alarm installer and agree with nick .
i take pride in fitting all products and fit them well.
i have come across loads and loads of really badly fitted alarms.
i wont say who fitted them but ,i will say that " just cause the big named companys have their names up in bright neons "
it doesnt mean you're getting the best installation.
ive seen some lashed up jobs.
besides that, mobile guys can beat shop prices cause they dont have the rates and rent etc to pay.