Notices

New battery req'd in keyfob

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2007, 01:55 PM
rocky17
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery req'd in keyfob

Sorry if this has been asked many times before I just don't want to bugger things up.

Went out to car last week and my usual keyfob wouldn't unlock the car. Suspected keyfob battery must be flat.
Managed to unlock the car by using the spare keyfob.
Fitted new battery to my usual keyfob but it's still not working. Been reading through some posts and just want to clarify if the keyfob needs to be programmed again to the system.
Just tried the keyfob that's not working in the ignition and it still starts the car.

Thanks for any help.
Stephen.
Old 20 January 2007, 05:21 PM
"OE Alarm" Sam
BANNED

If its a UK Subaru from 1999 MY with the Sigma Cat 1, then it is not necessary to have to re-program the alarm transmitter after removing/changing the batteries.

The factory immobiliser works using a transponder chip within the ignition key, separately to the alarm transmitter and again is not effected by removing/changing the battery - in fact it is not a powered item.

I am a little puzzled though - if this is a UK vehicle with the Sigma Cat 1 alarm, then the alarm also acts as a third immobilisation circuit that prevents cranking. Therefore, if the alarm transmitter is not working, then after the alarm systems additional immobilisation circuit passively arms (30 seconds after turning the ignition off) then the engine should not start, without arming/disarming with a working transmitter.

SS
Old 20 January 2007, 05:31 PM
rocky17
Scooby Regular

Sorry forgot to mention it's an o4 STi Type UK I've got with standard Subaru Category 1 alarm system.

Last edited by rocky17; 20 January 2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
Old 20 January 2007, 06:12 PM
"OE Alarm" Sam
BANNED

Definately a UK car with the Sigma system then, but if thats the case the alarms passive immobiliser should cut in 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off.
In normal operation, then when you return to the car and unlock/disarm the alarm you have 30 seconds in which to start the car (whilst the alarm LED in the centre pod is lit). After this time expires and the LED goes out it's necessary to either 1. turn the ignition on and briefly press the transmitter or 2. arm/disarm the alarm again with the remote (or the PIN).
With the remote that doesn't work, then you can't do the above and so the engine shouldn't crank - something wrong there if it does.

If you arm the alarm with the working remote and attempt to start the engine (the alarm will trigger when the ignition is turned on) will the engine crank over whilst the alarm is sounding? It shouldn't.

Back to the battery problem...as I posted the there should be no need to reprogram the transmitter after changing the batteries. It might be worth trying to do this though. I suspect that the remote will work again if you do, but the fact that you have had to do this might indicate that there's a problem.

To program radio keys:
- Arm and then Disarm the system using a working Radio Key.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*91*n# (where n is the total number of keys required to work the system)
- Press each Radio Key briefly in turn (the dash board LED will flash and the siren beep each time)
- Once the nth Radio Key has been programmed, you should be able to arm/disarm the system using any of the Radio Keys programmed.

It is essential that all Radio Keys required to operate the system are programmed together. Any keys not present during the programming sequence above will no longer operate the system.

When using the keypad always observe the following points:
- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.
- If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be abborted and started again after 30 seconds.
- Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.
- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a security feature to prevent random PIN attempts disarming the system.

SS

Last edited by "OE Alarm" Sam; 20 January 2007 at 06:15 PM.