Notices

Can anyone recommend a good security/alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 06:08 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend a good security/alarm system

As my sigma has packed in on me and have been told it would be cheaper to buy a new one.
I have about 2-3 hundred to spend,will this get me a half decent one?.

im in staffordshire,stoke on trent so somewhere local would be an advantage.

cheers folks

dannytwo
Old 28 September 2005, 06:51 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Packed in? Cheaper to buy a new one? I don't suppose that whoever told you this had a system to sell you did they?
What year is the vehicle?
I would be very surprised if someone who knows the system can't rectify your problem for a fraction of your £200-300 budget.
In the worst case scenario that the ECU itself has failed a replacement can be bought from a Subaru dealer for under £70 (part number SACC 3465).The new unit can be programmed yourself using the keypad.
If you post the fault I may even be able to help point you in the right direction.
SS
Old 28 September 2005, 07:38 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

that would be great mate.
What happen was i could'nt get the immobiliser to switch off so could'nt start the car.
got the AA out, there could'nt fix it so he by-passed the alarm completely.

the keypad thingy is in the dash but i have no info on it,ie numbers to key into it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers
dannytwo

the car is a,
forester s/tb import 97yom
Old 28 September 2005, 08:12 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

As it's a pre 99my and an import, it will be an aftermarket installation, so the location and quality of the wiring will depend on the installer, however there are a number of points to check that may get the system back up and running.
When you had to get the AA out, because you couldn't disarm the immobiliser, can you remember if the Radio keys unlocked the car and disarmed the alarm or did the Radio Keys do nothing?
Old 28 September 2005, 08:24 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
As it's a pre 99my and an import, it will be an aftermarket installation, so the location and quality of the wiring will depend on the installer, however there are a number of points to check that may get the system back up and running.
When you had to get the AA out, because you couldn't disarm the immobiliser, can you remember if the Radio keys unlocked the car and disarmed the alarm or did the Radio Keys do nothing?
I could get into the car but when i put the key into the ignition and tried to press the fob to disarm the immobiliser nothing happened.
The AA guy put numbers into the key pad from his laptop,but nothing happened?
Old 28 September 2005, 08:42 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by dannytwo
I could get into the car but when i put the key into the ignition and tried to press the fob to disarm the immobiliser nothing happened.
The AA guy put numbers into the key pad from his laptop,but nothing happened?
So, the alarm disarmed ok and operated the CDL? When you pressed the Radio Key with the ignition on, can you remember if the dashboard LED illuminated?
I just need to establish that the Radio Key's signal was being received by the ECU and that it wasn't a case of Radio Lock out.

The AA do not have a record of system PINs, so would not be able to overide it this way... especially if yourself or a previous owner had changed the PIN.
Had you used the system's PIN successfully prior to this?

Alot of questions I know, but if you can remember it would help, otherwise you may need to undo the AA by-pass inorder for us to locate the fault.

It may be easier for you to give me a call tomorrow if you can. PM or e-mail me and I'll give you my contact number.

SS
Old 28 September 2005, 11:19 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
So, the alarm disarmed ok and operated the CDL? When you pressed the Radio Key with the ignition on, can you remember if the dashboard LED illuminated?
I just need to establish that the Radio Key's signal was being received by the ECU and that it wasn't a case of Radio Lock out.

The AA do not have a record of system PINs, so would not be able to overide it this way... especially if yourself or a previous owner had changed the PIN.
Had you used the system's PIN successfully prior to this?

Alot of questions I know, but if you can remember it would help, otherwise you may need to undo the AA by-pass inorder for us to locate the fault.

It may be easier for you to give me a call tomorrow if you can. PM or e-mail me and I'll give you my contact number.

SS
Can't remember whether there the dashboard lit up? As for entering the pin, I have never done it before!
Sorry if I sound vague!
Where are you based?

Cheers
dannytwo/ alan
Old 02 October 2005, 07:55 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

Just to update,
have spoken to a very nice chap off here(sigma sam) who has sorted my sigma alarm out,nothing wrong with it after all just needed the code for the key pad.

THANKS AGAIN sigma sam.

A very happy dannytwo
Old 03 October 2005, 11:27 AM
jbrayley
Scooby Regular

As a matter of interest, how long did it take the guy from AA to bypass the immobilisation circuits? If it was very quick you may want to consider getting it re-wired.
Old 03 October 2005, 07:36 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

no mate it took him ages,about 2 hours.
so that is reassuring to know
Old 04 October 2005, 01:29 AM
jbrayley
Scooby Regular

Fair enough . Always good to know your securoty system is installed to a decent standard. There are so many cowboys around these days, and the problem is people think they have had a good install on the basis that they dont get false alarms - and not neccessarily from the state of the wiring.