Notices

what security device

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2005, 06:40 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what security device

is there a system that would deter or scream out loud if people tamper with the wheels. (doesn't have to nick the actual wheel)

what about those talking ones.
i think they tell people to move away from the car, if they are too close.

the only thing i don't understand is what happens if you're in a supermarket carpark, and the person next to you, is loading shopping etc.
Old 13 March 2005, 07:00 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Not sure but what about something with a set of these chained up next to your car..

Old 13 March 2005, 07:22 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
Not sure but what about something with a set of these chained up next to your car..

teeth ?????
Old 13 March 2005, 07:54 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

BIG dog!
Old 13 March 2005, 07:55 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

On a serious note i'm not really sure people take any notice of the talking car alarms. They're not really loud enough to draw anyones attention.
Old 13 March 2005, 08:28 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

On a serious note i'm not really sure people take any notice of the talking car alarms. They're not really loud enough to draw anyones attention.

yeah i suppose so. sigh
Old 14 March 2005, 01:52 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by wwp8
is there a system that would deter or scream out loud if people tamper with the wheels. (doesn't have to nick the actual wheel)

what about those talking ones.
i think they tell people to move away from the car, if they are too close.

the only thing i don't understand is what happens if you're in a supermarket carpark, and the person next to you, is loading shopping etc.
The system you are describing above is a Dual Zone Microwave sensor - the internal zone protects the vehicle interior in much the same way as the ultrasonic sesors and will trigger the alarm if movement is detected, however the outer zone extends beyond the vehicle and when movement is detected near to the vehicle an output is provided to operate a voice module or a simple buzzer (...the voice systems can create unwanted attention around your vehicle!) - with microwave sensors it is not neccessary to touch the vehicle and so anyone near the vehicle, such as the supermarket carpark, will cause the outer zone to trigger an output.

Alternatively a Dual Stage Shock Sensor could be used. Again, when adjusted correctly a small nudge will trigger an output to a buzzer, whereas a larger impact will cause the alarm to trigger - although the movement caused by passing vehicles could trigger the first stage, generally contact is required so the supermarket scenario is less likely.

Any microwave, shock or tilt sensor can be added to the standard UK Sigma M30 system provided that it gives a low (negative) output when the sensor is triggered and is activated by a low (negative) from the alarm when armed.
If you wish to fit multiple sensors, diodes should be fitted to prevent interference between the sensors' trigger outputs.
The Sigma M30 provides the low output to activate the sensors on pin 3 (provided that the alternative boot release output is not required), and the low input to trigger the system is best connected to pin 2 - this is also the boot trigger wire and allows simpler diagnostics in the future sould you experience false alarming problems with the sensors.
In my opinion, tilt sensors are of little use, as they are generally designed to trigger if an attempt is made to tow a vehicle away and this ammount of air movement within the vehicle that this would create would trigger the ultrasonics - they are of little use to protect wheels, as most experienced thieves will not jack a vehicle sufficiently to trigger a tilt sensor when removing the wheels and, if the tilt sensor is adjusted to detect such slight inclinations, it will then be susceptable to false alarms from strong winds, large passing vehicles etc.
I would suggest a Dual Zone Mmicrowave and Dual Stage Shock sensor would be the best way to protect the vehicle exterior (and a good set of locking wheel nuts!) again these can be powered from the Sigma M30 in the same way, although the output from the outer/first stage of the sensor would have to be used to power an underbonnet buzzer. This way the outer/first stage can be adjusted on the sensitive side to detect slight movement, but this will only cause the buzzer to sound - hopefully this will deter any undesirables without the inconvenience of frequent false alarms.
SS
Old 15 March 2005, 02:19 PM
j@directedtech
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
In my opinion, tilt sensors are of little use, as they are generally designed to trigger if an attempt is made to tow a vehicle away and this ammount of air movement within the vehicle that this would create would trigger the ultrasonics - they are of little use to protect wheels, as most experienced thieves will not jack a vehicle sufficiently to trigger a tilt sensor when removing the wheels and, if the tilt sensor is adjusted to detect such slight inclinations, it will then be susceptable to false alarms from strong winds, large passing vehicles etc.
SS
Depends on what tilt sensor you are using. I agree, volumetric ones are a waste of time. If you have an accelerometer based sensor this is not an issue, as the sensor registers its position at the time of arming, and if it detects an inclination or change in velocity then it will trigger. As a rule they are a good sensor.
Old 19 March 2005, 05:26 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

I had a Clifford 650 with the IntelliVoice option fitted on my old Celica ('twas new at the time). I thought it was great when I first had it - it would say "Enabled", "Disabled" when you armed/disarmed it, and would say "Alarm will sound if you don't back away" in a cheesy American voice. It was a novelty at first, but I regretted getting it in the end... (turned the module off and went back to the chirps)

I parked up in a less than desirable part of Bristol the one time, only to come back to find a gang of kids walking up and down past the car setting the thing off. To make matters worse, they had ice creams and were flicking them onto the car to try and set it of

I'm having the Concept 950 fitted to my STi next week - the one option I chose not to have this time was the talking alarm.

Last edited by FirebirdUK; 19 March 2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 19 March 2005, 10:35 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FirebirdUK
I had a Clifford 650 with the IntelliVoice option fitted on my old Celica ('twas new at the time). I thought it was great when I first had it - it would say "Enabled", "Disabled" when you armed/disarmed it, and would say "Alarm will sound if you don't back away" in a cheesy American voice. It was a novelty at first, but I regretted getting it in the end... (turned the module off and went back to the chirps)

I parked up in a less than desirable part of Bristol the one time, only to come back to find a gang of kids walking up and down past the car setting the thing off. To make matters worse, they had ice creams and were flicking them onto the car to try and set it of

I'm having the Concept 950 fitted to my STi next week - the one option I chose not to have this time was the talking alarm.
I think as kids we tried to get the talking ones to go off too. I blame Knight Rider...

Out of interest do you see the Concept 950 as the best system Clifford do at the moment? I only ask as i'm due to pick up a new car myself in a weeks time and am thinking of upping the security of it.
Old 20 March 2005, 10:46 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

I think as kids we tried to get the talking ones to go off too. I blame Knight Rider...

Out of interest do you see the Concept 950 as the best system Clifford do at the moment? I only ask as i'm due to pick up a new car myself in a weeks time and am thinking of upping the security of it.
I've had a few Clifford alarms in the past and had no bother with them, so had no hesitation to go for another...

I was unsure as to go for the 950 or the AvantGard 5 - the sales chap I spoke to (@ GAP Security) convinced me to go for the 950 to get the Thatcham approving and then add the extras on... very little difference in price when you spec both systems up to have the same features as each other.

The extras I'm having fitted are: NightVision, IntelliStart and SmartWindows and the Clifford blue window decal. Get all the other goodies (Blackjax, dual proximity sensor, tilt sensot, audio sensor, etc. as standard with the 950).

I think the AvantGard is probably the better alarm, but doesn't get the insurance accreditation because of the remote start option being standard (they reckon that if the alarm can bypass the security to start the car, so can thieves)...

GAP were quite good - they gave a discount without me having to ask (probably due to the extras I had)...
Old 21 March 2005, 10:46 AM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I had a few words with Motorguard a few months ago about an alarm with a perimeter sensor. They told me the new Clifford G5 alarms with that option are the only way to go. It is the only one with a loud enough chirp to deter potential vandals/thieves etc.. in their opinion.
Very nice bunch they are too... I highly recommend them, and they'll do you a good deal if you mention Scoobynet.

Let me know if you want their details.

I'll probably pop over to see them for the G5 as soon as I have a little saved up
Old 16 April 2005, 11:42 PM
VERYALARMING
Scooby Newbie

Default indeed

I have a ag5 fitted. the dual prox sensor is the nuts.
the alarm has been on now for a while , i got it when they first came out.
i must say that i dont have the remote start fitted. as my car is manual and it did not interest me to have it again. been there and done that.
but the alarm itself is great.
no hassle. no false alarms. if someone goes past it too fast or gets way too close it chirps to warm them.
i think they are worth every penny.