Notices

Anyone with Clifford Intelstart on here?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2005, 06:42 AM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with Clifford Intelstart on here?

I always put the full clifford security pack on my cars including tilt sensors, proxi sensors, air sensors, pager system, intelestart etc...etc...

Now the man who does them for me says he never fitted the intelstart to a impreza and doesnt know if its possible without to much work.

Anyone else got the intelstart system? And was it easy to fit?

**Those who dont know its a automatic engine start from remote key fob. So you can star the car from 50meters away (doors still locked) and get her warmed up for when you go to drive her.

You can also turn her off or set her turn on and off if battery levels drop to low or if the temp inside the car goes below a certain level. HOWEVER the steering wheel is always locked, the car is locked and shes still undriveable for security reasons**

Its a bloody great feature in winter when you look out the window and you see everyone de-icing there cars, you just start her up from your living room to let her de-ice while you have breakfast and then go out and go to worK! LOL
Old 22 February 2005, 08:07 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Got it on the Wife's STi8, and had it on a classic before that. No problems with either.

Knowing how tetchy Cliffords can be if they're not fitted correctly I'd be looking for somewhere else to fit it if I were you.
Old 22 February 2005, 08:11 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

...actually, looking at your location, the chap who fitted ours is Based in Yorkshire, so he's not a million miles away. PM me for his details if you like.
Old 22 February 2005, 09:04 AM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

are they thatcham approved for the insurance? i thought the top of the range cliffords wheren't approved a few years ago???

stevie
Old 22 February 2005, 09:45 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

The top end clifford alarms are approved - ie cat 1 but certain features ie remote start and blackjax - if activated may cause them not to be approved

Stupid really as I think that blackjax is one of the best security features around.

Richard
Old 22 February 2005, 09:57 AM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sticky Stuff
...actually, looking at your location, the chap who fitted ours is Based in Yorkshire, so he's not a million miles away. PM me for his details if you like.
yea sure if you can mate that would be great Thanks for the help.

I want some one whos done them before i these cars to do mine so i know its right.
Old 23 February 2005, 09:42 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by stevie boy
are they thatcham approved for the insurance? i thought the top of the range cliffords wheren't approved a few years ago???

stevie
Your insurance company is unlikely to appreciate the convenience of a remote start device, or the need for a turbo timer for that matter, for the same reason.

“Cat 1” security systems are tested as a complete product and then given an evaluation number by Thatcham based on the products proposed usage.

In their view, adding any other product at a later date, which interacts directly with the approved security system (as tested) or by-passes any of its circuits, can be looked upon as a modification to the system that was tested and could void the approval on that particular installation. To be fair, you wouldn’t expect a Category 1 product to still gain you the same recognition by your insurance company if the immobilisation circuits were not connected?

Adding additional products such as turbo timers and remote start devices are seen by Thatcham (the UK insurance industry’s test centre) to compromise security in the same way, as these systems usually have to by-pass the security system's immobilisation circuits to allow the engine to run. In theory a turbo timer need not cause a problem provided that it is not connected to or by-passes the existing immobilisation wiring, however the immobiliser would kick in 30 seconds after the ignition was turned off (a Thatcham requirement), limiting the turbo timer to 30 seconds.

There are also a couple of other points for you to consider:

Due to the UK insurance industrys requirements (and EU legislation) a turbo timer or remote start unit is unlikely to have been designed with the UK market in mind and so is unlikely to have been tested to EU 95/54 (- electrical legislation) and will not bear an "e" mark to show that the product has been tested and is fit for the automotive environment.
In addition, leaving a vehicle unattended in a "public place" with the engine running is also an offence in the
UK, contravening the Construction and Use regulations.

If you don’t mention the mods to your insurance company, or the broker does not understand the implications of the modifications, then they will still be happy to take your money, but few vehicles with the standard system are stolen without the keys, so if an enlightened insurance inspector were to detect the modification it could invalidate a policy and save them paying out.
SS

Last edited by Sigma Sam; 07 March 2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 24 February 2005, 07:18 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

That's why I wouldn’t touch intelstart.
My insurance clearly states that a CAT1 alarm must be fitted, also intelstart with a dipol gearlock would be messy.

Dipster
Old 09 March 2005, 06:20 PM
NICKG
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by G_Sleigh_STi
I always put the full clifford security pack on my cars including tilt sensors, proxi sensors, air sensors, pager system, intelestart etc...etc...

Now the man who does them for me says he never fitted the intelstart to a impreza and doesnt know if its possible without to much work.

Anyone else got the intelstart system? And was it easy to fit?

**Those who dont know its a automatic engine start from remote key fob. So you can star the car from 50meters away (doors still locked) and get her warmed up for when you go to drive her.

You can also turn her off or set her turn on and off if battery levels drop to low or if the temp inside the car goes below a certain level. HOWEVER the steering wheel is always locked, the car is locked and shes still undriveable for security reasons**

Its a bloody great feature in winter when you look out the window and you see everyone de-icing there cars, you just start her up from your living room to let her de-ice while you have breakfast and then go out and go to worK! LOL
not a prob same as any 5/6 speed petrol car if any probs e-mail and i will help u.
Old 09 March 2005, 06:21 PM
NICKG
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stevie boy

stevie
still not.
Old 09 March 2005, 07:51 PM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

Anything with remote start, eg Solaris and the Avantguard series will not be Thatcham, most other high ends are, C500/600 from G4 and C650 & Inteliguard ?50 from G5 are