Notices

arrrrrggh - flat battery - alarm going off...

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 09:33 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arrrrrggh - flat battery - alarm going off...

no idea how to stop it. bloody late - outside neighbours house. lost number of subaru assistance. do I need to key something into the key pad? no idea what the number is. WHY DOES THE BATTERY ON MY 1.5 YEAR OLD STI ALWAYS GO FLAT IF I PARK IT FOR MORE THAN A WEEK?
Old 11 October 2004, 10:06 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I think it's a known fault.

Subaru Asssistance's number is 0800 777 127.

Chris
Old 12 October 2004, 06:52 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Happens to them all ...............
Old 12 October 2004, 12:52 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Happens to them all ...............
Doesn't happen to mine..............anymore
www.accumate.co.uk
Old 12 October 2004, 01:32 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

For next time: Find out your code number (by whatever means - but it should have been supplied with the car, with instructions. I've got a metal thing with it stamped on) dial it in with the DRIVER'S DOOR OPEN to kill the alarm.

My battery (MY02) was going flat after a week - it was originally damaged by an incorrectly wired tracker that drew too much current. After correcting the fault I didn't get a new battery and after about 6 more months it would go flat every night with the alarm and tracker drawing out the current.

My dealer paid for a new battery. Somewhat surprisingly they said that the standard battery is poor because it is designed for use in a warmer country, and that the British climate (and also now evening darkness) puts more demand on the cells. Plus if you do short trips and sit in London traffic.....

So in a nutshell its a sh!te battery, get a new one (Subaru approved if car still under warranty) and don't abuse it.

Wilster.

Last edited by Wilster; 12 October 2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12 October 2004, 02:15 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wilster
they said that the standard battery is
Yes, when I had problems discovered that the OEM battery on my WRX Bugeye was a 48Amp battery that the owners manual stated should be for non-turbo car. One needed is circa 52Amp. Anyway, I just went and bought a 60Amp FIAMM battery from local Motorist Discount Store for about £46 and so far it's been OK. Previously with old battery, was having the alarm chirping and battery going flat ever since we left car for two weeks at airport and had to have jump start from Parking Express - the combination of deep discharge and whack from jump start probably damaged battery. Funny enough, the battery and alarm on my sons FTO did the same types of things (he came on holiday with us) so he also had to buy a new battery.
Old 12 October 2004, 02:24 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wilster
Somewhat surprisingly they said that the standard battery is poor because it is designed for use in a warmer country, and that the British climate (and also now evening darkness) puts more demand on the cells. Plus if you do short trips and sit in London traffic.....
Wilster.
An interesting comment that from the dealer..... Not sure if it is right though???
It is a fact that heat damages a Lead Acid battery much more than cold, but the problems may only show up when the temperature drops low and more demand is placed on it.
I saw a graph once which platted average battery life expectancy against average temperature, and in very hot coutries, batteries don't last more than a year or two..

Hmmmmm Confused.....
Old 12 October 2004, 05:06 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

Shytot,

I think its more to do with the fact that it takes more effort to start the car when all the mechanical components & oil are cold, plus electrical resistance is higher when the wires are at lower temperature. This puts more demand on the battery; so its not actually to do with the performance of the battery itself in the cold.

Wilster.
Old 16 October 2004, 01:16 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

thanks all
Old 19 October 2004, 01:21 PM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

The alarm is draining the battery, but there is a way of arming the alarm on a low usage setting, specifically for when the car will not be used for a few days or more. You will need to know your PIN number, when you return to the car, but it saves the battery running down. Anyone want the codes? bullkeith@aol.com and put "sigma codes" as subject as I delete all spam looking mail. Loads of other features that you can set with the Sigma M30.