What else can I do...?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2001, 11:04 PM
paulhoubart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Right ... !

After the second attempt on my Scooby in a month, I'm wondering what else I can do on the security front. I've got the usual Thatcham 1 category alarm, but the ******* after the car don't seem to be scared off by this.

I was wondering if any one has tried the detachable steering wheels you can get ? My girlfriend suggested a wheel-lock type affair, but I've heard too often how easy they can be to get off. Problem is, spending £250+ for a steering wheel system seems a bit extreme, but what else can I do to beef up security ?

Old 08 June 2001, 12:49 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Get a clifford (twockers seem to keep away from these) Park in the front of a two car garage with a car behind then another car behind the garage door, at the same time leaving it in gear with the steering wheel turned. Then go inside and press record on the three videos for the cameras covering the drive,hide the keys and go to sleep.

Things you have to do to keep your car.
none of that keeps car jackers away though, so I've just had secure glass fitted £250 all round (supposed to stop them being smashed).
Old 08 June 2001, 11:59 AM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Paul,

Sorry to hear about the attempts on your car.

Fit a Disklok, the original one that completely covers your steering wheel, they are very good and lots of people on the board have them. Fit a Barrier Deadlock (discount if SIDC member)and park up nose-in to a wall with the car locked in a forward gear. If you can, put one of those security posts behind your car when parked up overnight.
Fit a tracking device to get car back if it does go missing.
Another idea is to cover the car with a breathable cover overnight. This might sound a bit silly but whilst the car is covered over a casual passer by may not realise what is lurking under the cover and pass on to another car.
Security light and/or video camera trained on car.

The detachable steering wheels are supposed to be good and I was thinking about one when I first got my Scoob, but it means you loose the driver's airbag and are stuck with the wiring for this.

Sean
Old 09 June 2001, 04:43 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
I've got an Auto Taser - the thing that zaps the thief with 50,000 volts. Locks onto the steering wheel. Cost £220, I think, but I've never used it - too frightened of it!

£50 if anyone wants it.

Richard
Old 09 June 2001, 05:38 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hoppy

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you can grab hold of them whilst wearing marigolds or any other rubber gloves, and you do not get a shock

Old 10 June 2001, 09:30 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Ernie, but would you take the chance??????

Old 11 June 2001, 08:25 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Potential TWOCers at the last sound off I went to were taking it in turns to hold onto an auto taser. They just weren't bothered by it...

Does security glass work on frameless windows?

I'd have to concur with the barrier deadlock and a post.

One thing to be aware of is that you're making your car so hard to take that ******* will need keys to the various devices. How are they going to get these? Exactly...

Look into BlackJax, and an active tracking system. Blackjax is available as a separate system for around 200 quid fitted, and I would heartily recommend it as it gives me peace of mind.

If you want more info on how it works and what it does, drop me a mail: I'd rather not post all the gory details in public. "Security through obscurity is not security", as the saying goes, but everything helps.

Finally, and it's a contentious point, you're telling people your full name and where you live. People also know you have a Subaru, and anyone reading this thread will be learning about security options...

I used to log on with full name and location, but after someone tried to break into the house whilst we were in, I had a rethink about security.