Sponsored by:

Resale value of classics

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2004, 10:00 PM
Slick555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resale value of classics

Was reading the "NOT HAPPY" post and Have my own feeling on why the resale values on classics are now low..

When I looked to buy my MY00 the list was 21500? (imported one from holland in the end...), and scooby dealers would not discount. At that point resale values were rock solid... Turbos seemed to be losing about a grand a year going by main dealer resale values... which when you off set this against the incrimented Subaru official price increases.. they didn't seem to be losing much at all. So i took the plunge and bought a new car, something which I said I'd never do...

But then came along te new model. And it was cause for a lot of media hype and speculation. Prices were flaunted at about the 23k mark? and it was going to have a six speed etc etc

However the bug eye bombed ( seriously no offense to owners)... All of a sudden there is a Face lifted model on sale for 20k(official) with STi versions for sale in this country for 20k (discount sellers)

Is it no wonder the classic hasn't held its value...when you can get a new STi version in 2004 cheaper than a classic was in 2000.
Old 05 November 2004, 10:10 PM
New_scooby_04

I think we have to bare in mind that classics will now be at least 4 years old. If a car retains half of its value over 3 years it's doing well. The problem now is that you can get a NEW WRX for 16K so many are just saving up for them! Well, that and the market is currently saturated with Classics (probably owners wanting to trade up) so it's very much a buyers market, that doesn't help resale!
As the good examples of the classic become increasingly rare though, I predict an increase in their value! We've just go to hope we can still afford to insure them after all the boy racers have written off the cheapest examples! Eeeeek!.

Best.
Old 05 November 2004, 10:15 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Yeah but a classic is better looking
Old 06 November 2004, 12:56 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Yeah but a classic is better looking
and i'll 2nd that
Old 06 November 2004, 01:55 AM
Moray
Scooby Regular

I paid £7500 for my MY00 classic on a V plate and it had done 49k full subaru service history. Oh! and a PPP installed increasing 4000rpm torque considerably. MMMMMMMM depends if the seller is on acid or not doesnt it? Lets face it, a scooby is just a jumped up saloon car with a pretty amazing engine.

Originally Posted by Slick555
Was reading the "NOT HAPPY" post and Have my own feeling on why the resale values on classics are now low..

When I looked to buy my MY00 the list was 21500? (imported one from holland in the end...), and scooby dealers would not discount. At that point resale values were rock solid... Turbos seemed to be losing about a grand a year going by main dealer resale values... which when you off set this against the incrimented Subaru official price increases.. they didn't seem to be losing much at all. So i took the plunge and bought a new car, something which I said I'd never do...

But then came along te new model. And it was cause for a lot of media hype and speculation. Prices were flaunted at about the 23k mark? and it was going to have a six speed etc etc

However the bug eye bombed ( seriously no offense to owners)... All of a sudden there is a Face lifted model on sale for 20k(official) with STi versions for sale in this country for 20k (discount sellers)

Is it no wonder the classic hasn't held its value...when you can get a new STi version in 2004 cheaper than a classic was in 2000.
Old 06 November 2004, 07:47 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imports have made quite an impact on the price of classics. in the early years 94-97 there was a 6 month waiting list at dealers and 2nd hand cars were bought straight back by the dealer because they were worth a to them as they had a waiting list.

i don't know how many units subaru sold as they were limited to how many cars they were allowed to import and this covered their whole range not just impreza turbos. compare this with the amount of cars that got imported from 98ish onwards (JDM personal imports) and the market has now been flooded with these cheaper (second rate ) classics.
Old 06 November 2004, 08:37 AM
dump
Scooby Regular

Cool Imports

Dont forget people want the imports because they are faster more bhp than uk cars..
Old 06 November 2004, 08:44 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also insurance costs and raising petrol costs are putting potential buyers off.
Old 06 November 2004, 08:50 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dump
Dont forget people want the imports because they are faster more bhp than uk cars..
agree with that
high powerd jap imports are much more "saleable" then the standerd uk models, ive noticed a large diffrence between my mates p plate uk turbo and my p plate jap import
Old 06 November 2004, 09:10 AM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Agree with most points made also, however, the car as she is will probably out-accelerate a jap import due to the right mods etc etc..........and after declaring the mods, still cheaper to insure !

The bottom line is still that the market is flooded with cheap, low mileage and better spec'd cars from Japan and until they're all written of by Mr.Burberry the market will remain the same sadly.

My advice relating to my other post " not happy " is to keep hold of the classic, maintain it to the max and eventually watch the price rise.

Just my 2p worth.

Skoosh.
Old 06 November 2004, 09:21 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoosh

My advice relating to my other post " not happy " is to keep hold of the classic, maintain it to the max and eventually watch the price rise.

Just my 2p worth.

Skoosh.
Thats not going to happen mate. No way will the value start going up, maybe in 15 years time it will, there are just too many of them.
Old 06 November 2004, 09:33 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

the flow of higher powerd jap imports coming in from japan has been slowed right down by model reports and stuff

sum models wont be coming in at all now

i would expect them to rise myself
ive noticed the bloke who brought my car in, has went to selling much older wrx imports and he hasnt got any newer ones, and this has been so for a good few months now, is this related??
Old 06 November 2004, 09:46 AM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
and i'll 2nd that
i'll third that
Old 06 November 2004, 12:15 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dump
Not necessarily, your average Joe is going to want a full service history, cheaper ins costs etc. I know they have mroe toys and are quicker, but not everyone wants an import..
Old 06 November 2004, 12:30 PM
Slick555
Scooby Regular

so my MY00 having just covered 20k might be worth keeping? and keeping completely standard?
Old 06 November 2004, 01:43 PM
willipdarling
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Slick555
so my MY00 having just covered 20k might be worth keeping? and keeping completely standard?
I read a caption in top gear a while back, and mr clarkson was saying that if the car is kept std and providing "mr burberry" gets hold of a lot of them and crashes them(lets face it they all s**t drivers) then your classic shape will rise a bit in price within the next 5- 8 ish years. They will prob become the next "cossie" type collectors item that now retail for well over 10k, and a minter around 20k!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06 November 2004, 01:57 PM
mmuuzzzzyy
Scooby Regular

sell your classic's uuup North........they are far more expensive up here.

An extra 2k there abouts.

Ive been looking recently and you ''cant'' buy a my00 with lowish miles (less than 50k) for less than 9k.

Up here in yorkshire for £7500 youd be looking at uk cars with xs of 70k on the clock and around 1997/1998 model or 1995/1996 wrx sti imports

Bummer!