Protecting my baby

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 09:07 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting my baby

Hi all,

Just after a little advice regarding securing my baby because im so paranoid about it.

Im getting a nice cat 1 alarm fitted tommorow and have bought a cat 3 disclok for the steering wheel.

Is this "reasonable" security. I live near a load of chavs and am just a bit worried that it may go walkies.

Is the sinking a post into the ground a good idea or am i being too damn paranoid.?
Old 26 March 2004, 09:15 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Considering that a lot of recent threads have been due to nicked keys - a post seems a good choice. As long as they don't get the key to that of course...

I have a Toad Ai606 Alarm, 2 Trackers (Tesco wouldn't accept the Retrieve that was already fitted so I had a Monitor fitted - gutted as I then went with Direct line who don't care about a tracker - but at least if the gits find one they'll stop looking ) and a disklock.

Will probably get a Clifford Blackjax too - If I can't find any other way to simply but effectively disable it.

And I live in a nice area with little crime - but I know barstewards follow you back to see where you live and nick it later - and in a quiet are they will probably be less likely to be spotted.
Old 26 March 2004, 09:36 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Get a wheel clamp as well. This adds an extra level of difficulty (and increases the time it takes) to the stealing of your car. It also means you are less likely to have your wheels nicked. After a short while you get pretty quick at putting it on and taking it off.

With my Scoob, I got into the routine of getting in the car, removing the Disklok, starting the engine and then removing the clamp while the engine warmed up.

You can also get gearbox locks, which I imagine are pretty difficult to get around without the keys.

Last edited by Jerome; 26 March 2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 26 March 2004, 10:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Post, Disclock, Cat1, Blackjax, Tracker, scaffold tube. That ought to do it. Agree with the Dipol/Barrier Deadlock gearbox locks. Added advantage that they can be disabled quickly by you in a scary situation, where the Disclock may hinder. I'm also looking into leaving something under the tyres to cause multiple punctures, just to p!55 them off
Old 26 March 2004, 10:57 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

If they nick your keys wheel clamps etc can be removed.....

Also Jerome I suggest if you leave the car running whilst removing the wheel clamp it might be a good idea to leave the disklock on.

I've heard of instances of people jumping in cars and driving off while scraping ice of the windows. And if the keys were in and it was running - almost definitely your insurance won't pay up.
Old 27 March 2004, 12:17 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

I used to have a starter button hidden under the dash on a Mini I used to have, people used to think the starter motor was stuck when they turned the key. Doesn`t have to be under the dash though.Glovebox? The buttons are cheap and any decent sparky should have it done in no time.
Old 28 March 2004, 02:13 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Hi all,

Just after a little advice regarding securing my baby because im so paranoid about it.

Im getting a nice cat 1 alarm fitted tommorow and have bought a cat 3 disclok for the steering wheel.

Is this "reasonable" security. I live near a load of chavs and am just a bit worried that it may go walkies.

Is the sinking a post into the ground a good idea or am i being too damn paranoid.?
The disclok will deter the chavs.
The sinking posts may well deter the more committed thief - but always remember to put it down before driving. (I forgot one day and had to replace the bumper).
A Tracker may well help recover the car if it does get stolen (may help with insurance too).

You can never be too paranoid.
Good luck.
Old 28 March 2004, 08:29 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Try to vary your routes too and fom work, circle rounda bouts and double back too check if anybody is following, if so drive to plod station. I have employed these tactics and found people trying to follow me home, needless to say i didnt let them. quite scary when it happens tho.
Old 29 March 2004, 06:17 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

or if all those things fail, move to the south of germany where you can leave you car unlocked, with the keys in the ignition - go into a shop and come out 10 min later to still find your car sitting exactly where you left it...

Is England really so bad that you need all these things anyhow???

NC
Old 29 March 2004, 08:30 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by cheeseboy
or if all those things fail, move to the south of germany where you can leave you car unlocked, with the keys in the ignition - go into a shop and come out 10 min later to still find your car sitting exactly where you left it...

Is England really so bad that you need all these things anyhow???

NC
Just to clarify that Neal, you do mean leaving the car unlocked, with the keys in the ignition and the engine running

Yes Enland/UK is that bad. You can't even insure a Scooby now without a Cat.1 alarm! I even have to take the front panel off my radio whenever I go back
Old 30 March 2004, 05:36 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Man am I glad I live over here then.
Old 08 July 2004, 02:07 PM
slam
Scooby Newbie

Somebody mentioned to me getting a fuel cut-off switch fitted somewhere hidden, so they've no chance of taking it anywhere, even with the keys.
Old 11 July 2004, 01:04 PM
MotorGuard
BANNED

Fit an anti hijack system like the Clifford Blackjax. If your car is stolen with keys then any alarm in the world or any form of mechanical security device such as the disclok can be bypassed. With Blackjax the rightfull owner punches in a code into the system to verify rightful owner. If the code is incorrect or not entered the Blackjax immobilises the car and siren starts going off.