Notices

Toad or Clifford Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2003, 01:27 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As it reads above, I have been to a Guy at Worksop near Sainsbury's and he has quoted me £400 for the ai606. If anyone knows or has used this guy. He also informs me I need an extra motor for auto locking on Passanger side (included in price). He has told me this is better than a Clifford ???. He will need the car for 6 hours for fitting. Is this a good price, could I get a better deal for the money.
Old 22 March 2003, 04:23 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

"Better" than clifford is purely subjective; if it does what you want and is well installed, it's an effective alarm. For my money, purely on the innovation front, I'd fit clifford providing the dealer came highly recommended. (Clifford alarms seem to really need good installation to work at their best - but that's the same with anything)

also informs me I need an extra motor for auto locking on Passanger side (included in price
What MY do you have? MY00 onwards certainly have all-round locking with power locks. Previous models do require a motor, but that goes in the driver's door... If he insists on trying to fit one to MY00+, especially in the passenger door, take other advice.
Old 22 March 2003, 04:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

DEEDEE,
Just get a clifford, you can have all the goodies fitted then and alot of stuff is standard depending on which model alarm you go for
Ok it is slightly more expensive, but then again i always fit the best to my car

Tony
Old 22 March 2003, 06:00 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Buy a Toadget all the extras and lifetime warranty for probably half the price of a similar spec'ed Clifford.
Old 22 March 2003, 06:53 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Chiark, MY 97 he told me that I would need a motor fitting in the passanger side because the central locking only works of the drivers side. The passenger lock only operates that door. This is what I have been told. How did the price sound ?
Old 22 March 2003, 09:22 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sounds a tad **** backwards. You put your key in the drivers side and unlock, and it should unlock the passenger side too. It doesn't work the other way around.

This means either I've got it the wrong way around or he has . Given I don't do this for a living, me being wrong is definitely possible and probable . Easy way to check - unlock the car from the passenger side, does the drivers side unlock? If yes, you've got a motor in the driver's side. If not, you haven't got a motor in the driver's side. Do likewise by unlocking from the driver's side - does passenger unlock? If so, you've got a motor in the passenger.

Price - dunno TBH, but it sounds fair given the labour involved assuming it's being done right. Personally, alarms are the only thing that I'm not worried about paying over the odds for because the quality of fitting is more important than the unit, providing the unit is cat 1. Buying cheap gets you cheap labour, that's all. (Note I'm not saying this is cheap - it sounds about right )

Old 24 March 2003, 04:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

DEEDEE,
by the time this guy has fitted your alarm you would have been better off getting a clifford concept 600 (ok its 200 quid more) but then again you do get anti hijack as a standard feature, wireless immobiliser (which the toad doesnt have) glass sensors/tilt sensor etc.... and i would say to anyone with a car like this to fit a anti hijack unit, if you did seperately you would be spending the same ammount on your security anyway
Worth thinking about me thinks

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 24 March 2003, 05:18 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

More like 300 quid more,the going rate for Ai606 is 300 quid and with door motor £25...Btw whats Anti-highjack??

www.autoelectronics.freeserve.co.uk
Old 24 March 2003, 07:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

what's anti-hijack
See the clifford website for a description of the blackjax system
Old 25 March 2003, 12:13 PM
goonasuk
Scooby Regular

if u mean anti-hijack as in the doors lock when u start the engine most modern day alarms have this built in - the installer should run through all the features you would like as they are all programmable
Old 25 March 2003, 01:08 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Very true... Forgot about that bit
Old 25 March 2003, 01:27 PM
goonasuk
Scooby Regular

And if they dont offer ASK them to - cos then you will have a better understanding of what the alarm will do next.

I had a Toad Fitted and installer didnt bother going through the bits n pieces and I assumed the door jsut locked but later found out that they can be programmable (i.e. I dont want to be locked in - if i did i would lock the doors meself)

I think they just add any feature like this to make it seem like your alarm can do everything (even things you dont want done)
Old 25 March 2003, 01:30 PM
goonasuk
Scooby Regular

Like has been said before a lot of alarm problems (well at least 90%) comes down to the installers capabilities!! Cliffords are complex - just look at the wiring if u ever see one removed there is loads.

Another thing is as Clifford is sold to everyone through the "boy racer" mags that means that there are lots being chucked out and thus the number that go wrong will seem high but in % terms may not be.

However, I personally would never purchase a clifford - Ive been converted to a Sigma for my Cally Turbo** and its great - all the staff at a local ICE shop have them, and if its good enough for them its good enough for me!!

(** which i only own for another 22.5 hrs as I pick up me Scoob at noon on wednesday )

Old 25 March 2003, 02:09 PM
clifman
Scooby Newbie

if you want a toad ai606 cheeper than £400 ring quicksilver on
0121 7737000 thay wil come to you and fit it at your home or work
,thay are vsib and will give you a lifetime warranty

[Edited by clifman - 3/25/2003 2:35:03 PM]
Old 25 March 2003, 03:25 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Goon,
you will actually find that its a certain company (for whom i have heard bad things from, especially on here!) that advertise clifford and also toad alarm systems.....
Anti hijack as stated before, and i dont mean auto locking of doors , is a must nowerdays on high performance cars.
Also, i wouldnt fit a sigma to my scoob, probably due to the fact that subaru uk shove them on their cars and they still get nicked quite easily
Clifford alarms to me, mean quality (as long as you get it fitted by someone whos qualified and if you see my fitted system you know it was fitted by said type person ) and yes they are complex, thus the reason that most installers slate them as they cant get to grips with the fact that if it baffles them, then most of the time its going to totally baffle the thief
You pay for what you get in the end thats why i only fit the best (clifford ) and no doubt there will be a few people agreeing with me there

Tony