Notices

sms car pager

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2002, 09:09 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone knows where I can get one of these? There's no point in having an alarm if nobody looks at it when it rings and with double glazing, its almost impossible to hear it going. Cheers.
Old 17 December 2002, 03:25 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

For the last 18 months or so I've been modifying old Nokia 5110's (and variants of that old phone with the same case style) and interfacing them with Clifford alarms so that they can perform a dialling function. Hence, if you had such a device and you stored it's number in your day-to-day phone as 'Car Alarm' or such like, if it rang you you would know your alarm was going off.

It all depends on the various outputs on other brands of alarm as to whether this will work as well as it does on a Clifford. Generally, if you had a Clifford and you were able to lay your hands on one of these old handsets and a SIM for it, I'd be able to do the modification to the phone and interface it with the alarm for £60-80. Or, as some people have done, just send me the phone and I'll do the modification and send it back together with some parts for DIY use, for £50
Old 17 December 2002, 07:07 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Hmmm sounds interesting! I have at least one old 6110 lying around, what is involved in this mod and what is the requirement for the alarm to interface it? Currently have a Cobra alarm but will be changing to Clifford G4 soon.

Also is it possible for the phone to dial one number then another say 10 secs later? Cos I have two different phones and generally only carry one at a time (the main one I have 90% of the time but would like to know I'll still be alerted if I have the other one).
Old 17 December 2002, 07:08 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

One more thing I just thought of.... does it do anything when you call the phone that is connected to the alarm? Could do something very james bond esque with that
Old 19 December 2002, 05:15 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

Basically, the mod involves picking a number (I generally use 6 as it's easiest) and using this button as a speed dial. Then program your everyday number into here, then when the alarm is triggered, it causes this speed dial to be activated. Hence, if your everyday mobile recognises the caller ID as 'Alarm', you know your alarm is sounding. Unfortunately, this is all you can do with this set-up. As you generally look down the back of the sofa for one of these old handsets, it works out much cheaper than a radio pager, plus it performs better and you don't have to carry an additional receiver with you. If you want it to dial other numbers, simply reprogram the speed dial as necessary, but only the one triggered by the alarm (for instance '6') will be dialled.

As far as triggering this contraption goes, as long as the alarm has an output which when the alarm is triggered, activates continuously for long enough to trigger the speed dial, then all's well and good.
Old 22 December 2002, 08:15 PM
bob gray
Scooby Regular

Question

max, got an old phone, can it be put on a standard sigma m30 on uk turbo and how much? cheers bob
Old 22 December 2002, 10:06 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Sounds good mate, will probably look into this once I get a Clifford cos I don't know what any of the wires do on the cobra.

PS Only possible issue is that doesn't a switched on phone in an alarmed car cause microwave sensors (like those used in cliffords) to falsely trigger because they operate on a similar frequency? The phone transmits every 20 minutes or so while on.
Old 22 December 2002, 11:39 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Yeah I used to get this in my car every hour it pages back to the network telling it i'm still here. Only used to set the alarm off though if it was near the sensor.
My concern is though you don't get a good reception at the best of times in the car so buried in the dash somewhere you are surely going to get poor reception.
Old 23 December 2002, 11:24 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

Provided the alarm's proximity sensor is mounted in the correct position, having the phone in the glovebox of the car means it will be far enough away from the sensor so that interference it generates won't affect the sensor. As for signal strength, it is not a problem at all. Try it with your phone by putting it in various palces such as in the glovebox, under a seat, in the boot etc and keep an eye on the signal strength and you'll be surprised at how little, if any, it loses.

As for connecting a modded phone to an M30, I couldn't say as I'm not a Sigma agent and so am not familiar with their wiring or operation. If you do find a suitable output yourself, I can modify your phone for DIY installation as I mentioned in an earlier posting.
Old 23 December 2002, 11:38 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

Give me a ring after the holiday and i will fax you the sigma diagram
Cheers 01213591617 (MOTORGUARD Rich)
Old 26 December 2002, 11:06 PM
dave cos4x4
Scooby Regular

How is the phone wired up? i.e turned on all the time,how does it recharge etc..sorry if it's a stupid question but i am intrested in this device because i need an alarm fitting aswell! Any prices of Clifford alarms while am here!

Thanks Dave.
Old 27 December 2002, 11:27 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

The phone has your day-to-day mobile's number stored in a speed dial memory, and when the alarm is triggered, an output from the alarm will cause this speed dial to be activated, and provided your day-to-day phone recognises the caller I.D., you'll know your car alarm is going off. For prices and specifications, it would be better to give me a ring on 0113 2441448 during office hours (from Thursday the 2nd and onwards as we're closed over the festive period) and that way I can explain exactly the features and benefits of each system and how this modified handset will work with the alarm.
Old 28 December 2002, 12:29 AM
dave cos4x4
Scooby Regular

Hi Max, can you mail me a price for a clifford 300 fitted also same but with a proximity sensor fitted, thanks Dave.
Old 29 December 2002, 11:15 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

I have a Nokia 5110 for sale if anybody is interested?? See the For Sale forum.

I would prefer to have my sigma M30 modded to interact with the 5110 though, any agents with the required skills out there??
Old 03 January 2003, 10:13 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm working on getting a unit that will send you a sms and you can respond back to it to switch somthing on and off if the alarm on your car goes off.

But that's not quite legal but don't tell anyone

Huxley