Notices

Prodrive geometry and bumpsteer settings.

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2002, 12:00 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

with the same spring rates as standard,surely there would be not that much difference with the eibachs 20mm drop.even as standard I have grounded my Subaru rip off £45 mud flaps ,noticed this when polishing car after K/hill.

on earlier cars they would make a difference but just not convinced on MY99/00's.

[Edited by T-uk - 4/1/2002 12:02:42 AM]
Old 05 February 2002, 04:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12-1 I will be getting there.

[Edited by john banks - 5/2/2002 4:15:59 PM]
Old 05 February 2002, 08:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

You guys will be the first to know, except my wife and she lost interest ages ago

[Edited by john banks - 5/2/2002 8:13:14 PM]
Old 17 March 2002, 08:48 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

As I now have your attention, does anyone have details of these settings or are they top secret?

I know of 2 rigs in Glasgow with techs. that are more than capable of dialing in said settings.

Sod going to PS and even Glenrothes is a full day out for us Glasgow folk.

Running on new 18s and Eibachs therefore geometry is needed ASAP.
Old 17 March 2002, 11:36 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

I have a print out of my settings, I'll dig them out. Basically there is no hard and fast rule. The car is just straightened, and max negative (equal) camber applied.

---john---
Old 17 March 2002, 11:42 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

There will be a Scottish group buy in the near future so I hear....

But you lazy Glaswegians will have to do a bit of driving - like us Aberdonians

[Edited by Miles - 3/17/2002 11:45:02 PM]
Old 18 March 2002, 06:48 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Question

When is that gpoing to happen Miles? I'm after getting mine done in the next week or two...

Old 18 March 2002, 06:58 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Where are you guy's going for the group buy?

Ever since I got the geometry set up, the stearing wheel does not sit dead centre, doesn't sound right to me?

Scoty
Old 18 March 2002, 08:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I have not managed to find anywhere else that will do bumpsteer removal except Powerstation. Been meaning to take a trip down as although "Prodrive" settings are good, I gather the bumpsteer removal puts it on a different plane. It's the shimming of the steering rack that seems to be the unique bit. I asked Falkland performance about them doing it (they did the geometry fine), and they said they could try and find out what it was, but I never persued it.
Old 19 March 2002, 01:39 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Miles,

I would be very grateful if you could dig out the Prodrive settings and mail them to me.

As for noboby being able to do the Bumpsteer mod. in Scotland astounds me!

Scoty paid, I think approx. £100 at Star just to get geometry done thinking bumpsteer had also been carried out. (Scoty correct me if I'm wrong).

Why can't Star/Falkland or any other company (or Dealers) get someone on the job ASAP 'cause it certainly looks as if there is plenty of people looking for this mod. to be carried out on their cars.

Old 19 March 2002, 05:14 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Question

Dougster,

£100 pounds for Star to do the geometry. A further £40 to re-adjust, in the event of different sized wheels or tyres being added.

For all who have had the geometry done at Star, what was the outcome after the mod. Does your steering wheel sit dead centre, or does it sit to the left or right? Any noises comming from the steering rack?

Spoke to a very compitent person who asures me that no matter what, the steering wheel should always be dead straight. When you gonna join up mick?

Scoty
Old 19 March 2002, 06:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Falkland were a lot less than that for geometry - I took the car at 3000 miles and it had no knocks since new and it was far out. I think it was about £40. As I understand it you do not need it reset with new wheels?
Old 19 March 2002, 06:13 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Question

John,

Does that count if the wheels replaced, have a larger rolling diameter and different offset? Would the bumpsteer mod account for the steering wheel to sit off centre?

Scoty

[Edited by Scoty - 3/19/2002 6:15:20 PM]
Old 19 March 2002, 06:38 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I had my geometry done at Falkland, like John I think it was around £40. I would recommend getting it adjusted if you change wheel sizes, I had it setup on the 17" and it was a smooth progressive break away on them, however, when I had the 16" on with the same settings the lift off oversteer was violent.
Old 19 March 2002, 06:48 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Cheers Robertio,

There appears to be a huge difference in price for the same modification? When you got the geometry set, was the steering wheel straight after being done Robertio?

I got the geometry set by Stop and Steer about 8 months ago for £60, and the steering wheel was dead centre.

After it came out of Star it was sitting to the left. I noticed instantly the difference in the car's behavour, but also noticed the steering wheel was sitting off centre once I got on the motorway. I took this to be the norm after getting this mod done, but it now appears it is not.

Any coment Star? Can you correct this?

Scoty
Old 19 March 2002, 07:09 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Scoty, I'd say it was not right (my VTR came back from a garage with the steering wheel pointing in the wrong direction, it was sorted FOC (scoob was fine after the geometry change)), shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Old 19 March 2002, 07:28 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Scoty, if the wheel isn't dead straight when they set the alignment, it will be slightly off centre when you are driving straight. In theory, they should ensure that the steering wheel is dead straight when they go to do the alignment. I would take it back and get them to reset the alignment with the stereing wheel straight.

T&C in Aberdeen charge £60, will be getting mine done there if the group buy doesn't happen soon. Will report on results.
Old 19 March 2002, 07:37 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Question

Cheers ricco m8. Sound advice

The Dougster and PaulVKL are planning on getting their cars done within the next couple of days. Might be worth while us all going together if it's Star?

Scoty
Old 19 March 2002, 07:42 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

My steering wheel was dead straight when it came out of Falkland's, I think I was about £50 but it was lumped in with the service so I can't be sure.

Stuart
Old 19 March 2002, 08:22 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

Straightening your steering is a peice of Cake, just have it retracked slightly so that the front wheels are pointing foward when the wheel is forward (I gather it is only slightly offset).
Bumpsteer modification would not effect this. (I watched mine being done at powerstation. The whole 4 wheel allignment proceedure took a fair bit of time, the rack shim to remove bump was done in less than 5 minutes. As far as I know no one in Scotland does it, but to be honest once a company had explained how it is done they could do it with their eyes shut (I could do it, if I had the laser allignment gear )

---john---
Old 19 March 2002, 08:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

John would you be willing to explain it to Falkland then?
Old 19 March 2002, 09:33 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Got the settings, now all we need is a rig.

Camber Front = Max equal negative Rear = not adjustable
Toe-in Front = 1mm Rear = 1mm

Scoty

[Edited by Scoty - 3/19/2002 9:34:41 PM]
Old 19 March 2002, 11:35 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was talking to Ken Ross (555 car) at the weekend who was saying that if 5 or more of us get together either Star/Falkland (can't remember which) will give us a discount. I'm certainly up for this as my geometry and tracking is needing now. Will speak to Ken for more details (or I'll ask him to reply here due to the interest).
Old 20 March 2002, 02:21 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Scoty

Re: Steering wheel.

When I bought my car new, the steering wheel was "out" by a few degrees clockwise.

I took the car back to the dealer and asked them to sort it out.
They said - no problem, all we have to do is lock off your steering wheel in a straight position and then re-adjust your wheel alignment so they're pointing straight ahead.

Trouble was, when I got the car back, the steering wheel was a few degrees off the other way (anti-clockwise.)

When I complained, they indicated that it was the best they could do, which I accepted.

I made a mental note to try someone else, but have never bothered.
(Incidentally - this isn't meant as a dig at the dealer, and it wasn't Nobles.)

When I get round to having bumpsteer and geometry done (would be very interested if someone in Scotland could learn to do it) I'll ask whoever does it to sort my squint steering wheel at the same time.

Rich
Old 22 March 2002, 09:42 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Honestly Glasgow to Glerothes to far LOL
i go from cumbria to Falkland and back in a day for my mods and service!
Probably mad like
But they do a good job with no fuss.
When i got the car new the wheel was never straight, falkland have done my geometry twice and its dead central.

I cant comment on the bumpsteer as i havent driven a car with this application, but my car has eibachs and 215/40/17 and with the geometry set up i have it seems to really dig in in the corners, if it did anymore i think the back end would be more of a problem, has any scottish scoobs driven a car with the bumpsteer who has driven one with the falkland set up to compare the differance? all IMHO of coure

lee
Old 22 March 2002, 01:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just discussed with Falkland performance to see if they might be able to do the bumpsteer work as well as the geometry and they will get back to me on it.
Old 23 March 2002, 08:28 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Is there any word on this group buy yet? Anyone know who is organising it or where it will be at?

I need to get mine sorted next week (Tues - Thurs) so if no word i'll be off to T&C on Tuesday / Wednesday.

Cheers Guys.
Old 23 March 2002, 09:30 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

A group buy at Falkland for the bumpsteer mod and geometry setup is the solution.

Get the pressure on Falkland so they can do the bumpsteer mod and geometry. If no one on the Scotish forum has the bumpsteer mod done, then it's fair to assume there's a bit of money to be made.

FALKLAND ARE YOU LISTENING?

Scoty
Old 23 March 2002, 10:01 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

I've had the bumpsteer done. John B, yes I'll explain it to them.

---john---
Old 24 March 2002, 10:16 PM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

Was me that 'sort' of started it. I was speaking to Jim @ Star about getting it done. And he said that we could arrange some group discount.

I will give him a phone tomorrow and sort out some details, will also inquire about the bumpsteer mod, if someone can give me details, of the work needed.

Quick Reply: Prodrive geometry and bumpsteer settings.