Notices

some advise please

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2009, 08:07 PM
olgert
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some advise please

i have u 52 reg bugeye WRX with PPP pack . i want to remap my car with a Ecutek remap , but i have been told that i need a walbro fuel pump . ok i was going to by one but i have read on the scooybworld that the PPP (pack uses this as being part of the popular PPP upgrade) does anyone knows if this is being fitted on all the PPP upgrades or only few ones and how can u find out if your car has this fuel pump , Anyone around Fife area does Ecutek Remap ?
Old 26 October 2009, 10:53 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

You don't 'need' one at all.

My car runs 275bhp (03 WRX) and didn't have the new NGK plugs, didn't have a performance filter and didn't have the walbro pump people say are must haves.

It does have a performance back box and a centre de-cat, plus samco intercooler hoses.

This was determined by simply having a chat with Andy Forrest before it went in. He said the best improvement would be the bigger intercooler or simply upgrading the hoses as the standard wrx one is very restrictive.

Not sure what parts the PPP fits but it is essentially a generic ECUtek map anyway. A remap might not produce too many more horses unless you go a bit further with the mods.

5t.
Old 27 October 2009, 04:55 PM
olgert
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much Fivetide for the info .
Old 29 October 2009, 12:52 PM
duncatr
Scooby Regular

I believe the PPP did indeed fit an uprated fuel pump, but TBH I would air on the side of caution and fit a Walbro 255 as a matter of safety. After all how old is your pump and how many miles has it done?

I have an MY53 WRX which has been mapped by Andy F and it now pulls like a train.

It all depends what you want from the car - but there are several mods that can be done to increase the cars performance before the mapping is done and some give very good returns for the money.

I had my oe headers removed and ported by BHP Developments (Wuz on here) and he also ported the oe TD04 turbo while he was at it.
This wont incresed the peak power so no numbers bragging in the pub but the difference it made to spool up was well worth the money.

Plugs are again recomended as a safety measure.
As I understand it - Firstly a good spark is required for safe running, it will also help power and they are not that expensive TBH.
Also the WRX runs rich on the OE map. This means it will run cooler.
the NGK's recomended by Andy are rated for the temperatures he expects to see.

My opinion is that the parts listed on his website are "advised parts" if there wasn't a reason for them then he wouldn't have put them on there. There is almost always a cheaper way to get there but that doesn't mean that way is better. I have always over spec'd my Impreza's to have a "safety factor" because in the long run its cheaper than a new engine.

All just in my own opinion of course.
Old 29 October 2009, 11:31 PM
scoobyseller555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no fuel pump upgrade on the wrx guys,only the sti's got the pump.

Gav
Old 30 October 2009, 12:31 AM
duncatr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyseller555
no fuel pump upgrade on the wrx guys,only the sti's got the pump.

Gav
Ah, I see. It was only the STI.
Cheers Gav, I stand corrected. No-one better than a dealer to inform what went in where

If I was you I'd fit the Walbro 225........ But I'm not
Old 05 November 2009, 10:05 PM
olgert
Scooby Regular

hi guys thank you for the reply's and advise. i have bought the fuel pump and i will fit the pump as i will want to get a bit more power out of the wee WRX .

regards ollie
Old 06 November 2009, 04:40 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by duncatr
My opinion is that the parts listed on his website are "advised parts" if there wasn't a reason for them then he wouldn't have put them on there. There is almost always a cheaper way to get there but that doesn't mean that way is better. I have always over spec'd my Impreza's to have a "safety factor" because in the long run its cheaper than a new engine.

All just in my own opinion of course.
Aye i ran down that list and called him up. It was Andy who told me the hoses were key and not to worry about anything more.

With 275 bhp i'm happy depends on the quality of your motor too of course, not all engines are as good as another.

A mate got 290 bhp with full de-cat, pump, plugs and filter but he can't pass the MOT. Given the extra price of the parts needed for 15bhp I wasn't fussed!

IMHO you pay Andy to make sure the car runs safely in spec. Since he's leaning out the fuel and putting less in I was never sure why you'd need a pump that could put more in... weird!

Hope you are happy with the results olgert, keep us informed.

5t.