Notices

major fuelling issues need help urgent :(

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2007, 08:01 PM
jjjohncardno
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation major fuelling issues need help urgent :(

Hi folks first time using this and im in desperate need of help. i have purchased a 1996 impreza wrx about 2 months ago. everything seemed great until i came to overtake a lorry the other day.

dropped it into second then hit 4500 revs. this is when my worst nightmare came true the car shuddered and struggled and i had to drop back behind the lorry. i took it to japperformance in ellon and the guys were great. put it onto the dyno and within 15 minutes the guy came back and told me it was running EXTREMELY lean.

he suggested i went to kwikfit and get the exhaust checked for leaks but that all seems fine.

i have read on another forum that sometimes the standard fuel pump dies and you need to get a new one. only problem being the new pumps cost about £100 + 4-5 hours fitting time.

this is going to turn into an expensive job if thats not the fault/

I SUPPOSE IM WRITING THIS TO ASK(OR BEG) CAN ANYONE COME UP WITH ANYMORE SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHY THE CAR IS DOING THIS, OTHERWISE I COULD END UP DOING THE FUEL PUMP AND THAT DOESNT EVEN HELP.

Regards hope someone can help asap
Old 26 November 2007, 08:26 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but this japperformance.......do they do ANY mechanical work at all?? To say "take it to Kwik-Fit" is shocking. Surely they could check the exhaust themselfs?

I'd say it sounds like the coil packs are breaking down(common on the early cars), or failing that it COULD be a knackered MAF sensor. Without seeing the car, it's hard to diagnose.
Old 26 November 2007, 08:30 PM
jjjohncardno
Scooby Newbie

Question cheers

im afraid they had no ramps available at the time i was there.

would the air fuel sensor really make that much of a difference? i am trying my hardest to get advice from companies but they are all saying different things. im going to edinburgh at the weekend so if you know of any good places there i would more than appreciate the help.

cheers
Old 27 November 2007, 10:04 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

In Edinburgh these guys are good. Do a lot of import stuff and it is usually wall to wall with imprezas skylines etc

Logan's Garage

had a few things done there when i had the fto. decent rates too. owner is Mark... or was.

5t.
Old 27 November 2007, 04:50 PM
Dan 2
Scooby Regular

Your a brave man taking your car there ^^^^

and yes..Mark is still there.
Old 27 November 2007, 05:31 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

why? Nothing but good service from them... mind you... been a few years like. Have to say they did discounts for cash club members if you know what i mean....

5t.
Old 28 November 2007, 08:21 AM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

does sound like the coil packs tbh, common fault that they cause hesitation on boost. when it did this, if you lift off and try boosting again did it keep going? may be an HT lead if not.

did they use a lambda probe to diagnose it was running lean? not sure why you would need to go to quickfit to check for an exhaust leak, im sure you or they can look

as for the fuel pump, a walbro 255 is circa £80, the fitting takes about 20-30 mins, so whoever told you 3 hours is taking the ****. have a search on here and online, there are a few threads on how to do this, its really easy. btw if its running the standard pump, changing it will only be a good thing, better to fit new and reliable than have the old one fail.

there is a user on here WUZ from anberdeen, does a lot of work on guys cars when onshore, he may be able to give more advice.
Old 28 November 2007, 03:06 PM
craig79
Scooby Regular

You might have better luck getting holds o
Russell on Subaru Impreza Drivers Club - For The More Discerning Subaru Enthusiast - Home (scottish section) and in fact
more chance of advice.
Craig.
Old 28 November 2007, 09:20 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

sorry to jump on thread but i read somewhere to check the maf start the car and unplug it if the car stalls its working fine but if it carrys on running then the ecu has adapted to the failing maf but u will have to disconnect the battery for an hour to reset the ecu afterwards worth a try i guess
Old 29 November 2007, 06:06 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

No way 4 hours fitting time for a fuel pump. Don't pay for more than an hour. (hour and half max)
Old 30 December 2007, 10:38 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

There is a goodsite with instructions on how to fit a fuel pump link below

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk