Moderators - Outcome of selling parts in Scotland forum

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 05:23 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As per heading.

I may have missed something recently, but did the Scotland Scoobynet community of Subaru owners have a definitve answer whether they can singularly post items for sale for the sole attention of other owners in their own country, or do we all have to post items for sale in the appropriate section for the attention of all Subaru owners ( Scoobynet members) and a link made available in the Scotland section?

Thanks

Alan
Old 07 April 2003, 05:56 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Alan, When you look at the NI/Eire forum and the Welsh forum there are items for sale in there.

As for the three English ones the general talk is about a whole load of meets.

It only really developed when some of the Southern based mods. started shifting things. No one to blame but I just feel that they were only doing their job and not accustomed to seeing 'for sale' items in a 'local' forum.

Let it run IMHO, as it didn't clog up our forum, and a few bargains were close to hand.

Plenty of Muppeting goes on in the Scottish Forum as well but I don't see that getting moved!!
Old 07 April 2003, 06:07 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

A decision hasn't been reached as yet - but as soon as one is, Webmaster will let you know.
Old 07 April 2003, 06:17 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Dougster.

The reason for asking is i believe the moderators were going to come back with a definitive answer to this question.
This would also alleviate the necessity of those posting, asking for moderators permission to allow the thread to remain in this forum.

Personally i have no problem posting in the "For Sale" section of this web site and am quite happy to sell to anyone who wishes to cross my palm with readies, whether they are in Banchory or Bournemouth.
Sending items using the variety of postal services available at our disposal, costs the same, regardless of recipients address in the UK, but appreciate that if that cost can be avoided, then i have no objection to those who wish to post items for sale in this forum.
The other occasional benefit buying / selling locally is you get to put names to faces and friendship quite often ensues through a common interest in our cars.

Alan
Old 07 April 2003, 06:19 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Thanks Redkop

I feel webmasters reply will clear up any misconceptions surrounding the issue.

I trust clarification will be a benefit to other memebers in this forum?

Alan
Old 07 April 2003, 06:21 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Alan fancy a set of six pot pads???

Think they are tarox racing only pads!!
Old 07 April 2003, 06:22 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the offer Dougster.

Don't think they fit the AP's ??

Don't know for sure.

Alan
Old 07 April 2003, 06:25 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Okay.

One of the meets that's getting organised then?

Alan
Old 18 April 2003, 11:28 AM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

bttt.

Simon is just back from NZ, so we might have an answer soon.

Also a 'spotted' thread in Scotland was moved to the 'was it you' forum.

Do peolple have any thoughts on this. I for one never look at 'was it you' as posts disappear quicker than AndyF off the line!

I for one do not want the Scottish forum to become it's own self contained community as that is the feeling of some of the moderators. I regurlarly visit most of the other forums and would like to think I was fairly well known to some of our Southern friends. (for reasons I will not disclose!!! )

What do people think then?

Dougster
Old 18 April 2003, 12:20 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm with Dougster, I think they should leave the 'For Sale' and the 'Was it You' posts in the Scotland area as things move so fast in the other areas you never get a chance to see them.
Old 18 April 2003, 01:52 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I'm nosey and go on alot of the other forums.

The 'was it you?' event is what I had used as an example in the previous thread. Never had a response on the real forum, but had much better luck posting on here.
Old 18 April 2003, 02:39 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Agree with Dougster. It would detrimental to the Scoobynet communuity as a whole if this particular forum becomes too insular.
Until Simon comes back with a decisive comment, I think the best way to play things is to place the post in the "For Sale"/"Was it you" forums and then pop a post in this forum linking to the other post in the other forum. This means that we get away from becoming too insular AND lets the regulars know of anything Scotland specific whilst being visible to all of Scoobynet. That was my reasoning behind moving the "Spotted" post of earlier today.
Old 18 April 2003, 02:45 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Question

Miles,

What's the problem with being insular ?

Maybe some of us like being insular.

It ain't broke ...
Old 18 April 2003, 02:56 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

From Dictionary.com
Circumscribed and detached in outlook and experience; narrow or provincial.
Old 18 April 2003, 03:13 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Question

Circumscribed and detached in outlook and experience; narrow or provincial.
OK, and your point ?

Ah, I see, the SN line is that anyone who might be; circumscribed and detached in outlook and experience, narrow or provincial will not be welcome.

[Edited by Numptie - 4/18/2003 3:49:49 PM]
Old 18 April 2003, 03:40 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

I never look in 'was it you'. I did today and happened to reply to a couple 'cause I was in there.

Would never have seen them otherwise. On looking at that forum, I notice that many posts go unanswered. The ones I answered today would have been replied to, roughly the time of posting.

Just like the 'for sale' section. Things that are being sold up here, just slide right off the page with no or little response.

I feel that it is a population thing, with a hell of a lot more going on down there than there is in Scotland or NI/Eire and Wales for that matter.
Old 18 April 2003, 04:13 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Talking

They may take our "For Sale"s and "Was it you?"s, but they will never take our FREEEEDOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

Old 19 April 2003, 12:28 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

I never mentioned taking away anything
Old 19 April 2003, 12:33 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Ah, I see, the SN line is that anyone who might be; .... will not be welcome.
Words into my mouth, I didn't say that..... Would you welcome someone who was detached in outlook and experience, narrow or provincial?
Old 19 April 2003, 01:29 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

it was a joke - about how things get moved... u know.. taken away from the scotland forum and put to another forum...
just thought of it as humour related to another scottish thing... the quote from braveheart

i was just having some fun

Old 19 April 2003, 12:43 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Would you welcome someone who was detached in outlook and experience, narrow or provincial?
I wouldn't exclude them. It's their clicks and those of others that keep the site going.

My view on this is that if the wishes of contributors to Scotland are different to those of, say, Southern (as appears to be the case) then I don't see why slightly different policy can't be applied to each.

Oh, and I apologies for the 'putting words in your mouth' thing - it was a bit off. I'm not going to fall out with anyone over this - particularly not one of our own*

* In case you hadn't noticed, that was a narrow or provincial comment

[Edited by Numptie - 4/20/2003 1:11:35 PM]
Old 08 May 2003, 04:57 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Well said that man!

bttt
Old 08 May 2003, 08:19 PM
iainalpine
Scooby Regular

Angry

thanks alan. i remember us talking not so long ago about this subject and am really (p)issed of and puzzled as to why my post was moved. when you need to get something real quick for your car your going to look close to home to get a quick turn around and get the dam thing back on the road. now im looking for a real good answer as to why this happened.
Old 09 May 2003, 08:27 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Ok, Hope this doesn't start any bickering..

But,

A "For Sale" section would be good thing in all regional sections.

I've tried recently to buy a few things on this site that were posted in the general "For Sale" section, only to receive emails from sellers, telling me they dont want the hassle of waiting for items to be collected from couriers, or sending stuff out to various parts of the country. And that they want a local sale.

But the sellers have no option but to post in the general area.

I know this is not the Mods fault, far from it. But even a seperate "For Sale" sub-section within the Regional sections would be good. At least that way, if you want an item to be sold locally, you just post in there. If not, you post in the general For sale area.

Just my thoughts..no offence intended to the mods.

Johnny.
Old 09 May 2003, 09:02 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

as far as I am concerned no separate forum is needed.

all that is needed is to go back to what it was 6months ago, before all the power hungry rogue mods came along,get oot our forum
Old 09 May 2003, 05:39 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im with T-Uk.

Why not leave it to the poster's discretion rather than the mods for a change?
Old 09 May 2003, 06:02 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

I do have a suggestion that may help end this, subject to debate, but am loathe to mention it until we do get a reply from the moderators or more specifically from the sites owner. (owners(?)).

S'funny how this thread which has obviously rubbed a few of you up has had no response from the people who are meant to manage it in our interests. Over a month now....

Alan
Old 09 May 2003, 06:32 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Arrow

AlanG, I popped up a reminder last night. They'll put up a reply when they have a chance - Simon is away in Argentina at the moment.

Kosy, SN has to have some sort of policy governing this type of subject otherwise it would become a mess if people could put whatever they want whenever want. For instance, Scotland would not the best place to put a thread about a computing issue.

Iain, tiwas me who moved your post, I didn't see anything in it for it not to be moved. Moreover I genuinely believed you would get a better response and therefore quicker resolution to your problem in the Wanted forum. Only after I moved it that I noticed the seperate posting in that forum.

One suggestion I've had is to have a Scottish "For Sale" thread, whereby people could post up Scottish "For Sale" or "Was It You" links, this would be similar to what the guys have done in the Midlands forum with the Diary thread. What would be the feelings to that?

Also, we are still looking at how to better organise the For Sale forums as they do move too quickly.
Old 09 May 2003, 07:05 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Cool

get oot our forum
Old 10 May 2003, 05:21 PM
iainalpine
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

miles i understand where you coming from but as you no sourcing a part in scotland and going and picking it up is alot easier done than getting a part in england where you are waitng for the part to get posted up to you. i think we should have a seperate for sale and wanted section for scotland, it would make things a bit more easy going and folk wouldnt get "rubbed up the wrong way".
cheers
iain

Quick Reply: Moderators - Outcome of selling parts in Scotland forum