Notices

Just to prove my point

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 11:26 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

.... that the world is becoming a right fukt up place, that 5 year old girl who was murdered and dumped in Inverness was killed by her mother, mother's boyfriend and mother's brother !

What is going on ?

Old 08 January 2003, 11:31 AM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Angry

We certainly live in a horrible world these days. I feel sorry for children these days, I never let Steven out of my sight for a minute but when I was young we used to just go and play wherever we wanted and my parents knew we would be ok (I must be getting old!)

It seems to be the "in thing" in the murder world to kill your own children. It just turns my stomach thinking about it.

AJ
Old 08 January 2003, 11:43 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

And I'm about to be a dad this year too.
Old 08 January 2003, 11:49 AM
wos 69
Scooby Regular

yes it makes you think. there are a lot of nutters out
there, you can;t let young kids out your sight anymore.
Old 08 January 2003, 11:53 AM
Snowplough
Scooby Regular

Question

DR; Well consider this; I Can't Believe We Made It!

If you lived as a child in the 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's, looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have...

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Our cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cupboards, and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No mobile phones. Unthinkable

We got cut and broke bones and broke teeth, and there were no law suits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame, but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We ate cakes, bread and butter, and drank cordial, but we were never overweight...we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one died from this.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, video games, 65
channels on pay TV, video tape movies, dvd's, surround sound, personal mobile phones, personal Computers, Internet chat rooms ... we had friends. We went outside
and found them. We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rung the bell, or just walked in and talked to them. Imagine such a thing. Without asking a parent! By ourselves! Out there in the cold cruel world! Without a guardian - how did we do it?

We made up games with sticks and tennis *****, and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

Footy and netball had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't, had to learn to deal with disappointment.....

Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind.

No speed humps!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law - imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years has been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them

Congratulations!
Old 08 January 2003, 12:10 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

It's a scary, scary place

Who do we blame?

Is it unemployment?
Is it overcrowding?
is it the upbringing?

No matter what it is, I've had enough of this Hell Hole. I hope to be out of the country by the end of the year

Cangrats on being a daddy though
Old 08 January 2003, 12:14 PM
skyenet
Scooby Regular

Snowplough:

After reading that I can't believe I am still alive. I lived in the country so managed to add damming up rivers, driving tractors, and burning down hay barns to my list of near death escapes. Not to mention some teenage years spent in Belfast during the late sixties.

Mind you I can hardly remember my Dad who was alsways away on some jaunt. He died while I was young and my Mum was (and still is) work obsessed. Makes you more independent I suppose. However things have all changed and I just can't chance letting Skye do some of the things I would have taken for granted when I was young. Mind you I was never co-pilot in an Elise at three.

DR:
I find that especially since Skye was born that anything/anywhere that I see that harms/upsets a youngster/s really affects me. It makes you think just how lucky you are to have a healthy, happy child. Britian has bad enough stories emerging, but some things happening in the rest of the World are unbelievable.
Old 08 January 2003, 12:19 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Totally agree Iain. Whenever there is a child missing on tv and then it is announced they have been murdered I can't help but cuddle into Steven.

It is a shame though the kids can't do half the mad things we did when we were young!

Steven just loves the scooby, he always says go faster and turn up the music !!!

AJ
Old 08 January 2003, 12:35 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hi all,

i go diving in stromess (orkney) a lot, and its still realy nice there, very 50s scotland, cars left with keys in them , house doors open ect its very refreshing! we (scuba club) were up and on the way back from the hotel (a bit refreshed) one of the guys dropped his wallet, on the way to the boat in the morning, there it was sitting on a wall! untouched!!! £400 in cash! and cards!
perhaps we should learn from them?
i like it a lot,

cheers robin.
Old 08 January 2003, 02:45 PM
wos 69
Scooby Regular

Out of the country
Where you going crush no bets on pages!
Old 08 January 2003, 03:57 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Yeah, must agree things are pretty frightening these days. Personally, I think they should bring back the death penalty for those types of crime.

Robin,

What SCUBA club do you belong too? is it one in Edinburgh?

Stefan
Old 08 January 2003, 04:04 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Out of the country
Where you going crush no bets on pages!
I don't know yet, Maybe the Netherlands Anywhere except the UK, This place is doomed!

Odds? 3/1 on 2 pages
Old 08 January 2003, 06:59 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

We seem to be lucky where we live (Fort William) but when you look beneath the surface it can be frightening. This town has one of the worst drugs(heroin) statistics in Scotland.
I was a little git when I was young but now it seems that fun has turned to being malicious. Some of the things kids do, never mind their parents can make your hair stand on end. I was brought up in Glasgow in some of the not so nice areas and can no way be considered as a liberal namby pamby type, so although there was bother etc it was never as nasty as it is now. I'm honestly glad my wife & I don't have kids cos I think I'd spend a lot of time worrying.
Alasdair
Old 08 January 2003, 09:29 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Wink

ozzy,

sadley the scuba club we belong to has gone the way of the high seas fleet! so we are looking for a new club in edinburgh, idealy padi, but we are up 4 bsac/scotsac/ect....... are you into scuba?

cheers, robin.
Old 08 January 2003, 10:57 PM
themaverick
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

what makes that murder worse is..she was descovered 5 days after reported to the police,which means she was missing for almost11 weeks without anyone"missing her" does that not make you think there is more to this than meets the eye?

sick bas****s sentence.....eye for an eye thats my motto
certainly brings a lump to the throat

cheers kev
Old 09 January 2003, 08:41 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Angry

Bring back capital punishment, that's what I say!

Crush, you serious ?
Anyone watch No Going Back last night ?
Makes you think what you can do with your life if you're prepared to be game and take the chance.
Old 09 January 2003, 08:49 AM
wos 69
Scooby Regular

Crush
2-1 1 page