Notices

wrx versus evo6

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 05:51 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo6 for 25k£ what the hell is the dealer on about!!!!!!!!!!!

i would pay 18k-20k max and that is for one that is in mint condition with some sort of mods.

sam

[Edited by Sam Elassar - 10/7/2002 6:01:09 PM]
Old 05 October 2002, 07:32 PM
bennymac
Scooby Newbie

can some of you guy's tell me your opionions on the impressa wrx versus the lancer evo?
i am changing up from my cav turbo and i test drove the wrx today at S & S in ayr it was nice but i fancied the sti better but the guy says there are none left !!
so anyway he has special deals on for the wrx just now since the newer facelift is due in spring !!
what do they do to the wrx to make it sti ?
he says they can do that for me but i am worried that it's not right.
also i havent driven the evo yet but fancy trying a 6 out if i can find one, the worry with that is that the evo doesnt have the long warrantte etc?
what goes wrong if anything with the wrx then that would also help me choose and lastly how many mikles from a tank of juice?
thanks ?
Old 05 October 2002, 07:46 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

the wrx is the evos fave bitch evos love riding them all the time
Old 05 October 2002, 08:22 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Never met you Moses but nearly everything you say involves foul and or obscene language.

Might be best if you tone it down.

Thanks,

AJ
Old 05 October 2002, 08:43 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

oh im sorry amanda im really sorry im not as bad as this i dont know what i say, it comes naturally so im so so sorry

im moses from glasgow and i luv evos what about u
Old 05 October 2002, 09:37 PM
bennymac
Scooby Newbie

ok so what about some information using normal language then?
the suggestion is the evo is better i assume !!
Old 05 October 2002, 10:17 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

The general consensus is that the Evo is a better performance car, where the WRX is more comfortable & practical. Given the choice I would buy an Evo without even considering the WRX.

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2002, 10:57 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

yeah benny i swear mate have a shot on the evo 6 i swear it will put u off buying any car even a porsche 911 carrera 2 the new shape coz i pi55 on it all the time lol u will luv the evo mate its the closest thing u ever gonna get to a jetfighter in 4 wheels
Old 06 October 2002, 02:53 AM
vaio
Scooby Regular

benny mac

wrx..flat 4cly turbo evo6 stright4cly turbo
expensive..parts cheaper..parts
..to repair to repair
less options more options
etc etc

BUT how about the king SKYLINE 6cly 2xturbo. Check it out.
Am i given u more sleeples night?

i own a my97.
Old 06 October 2002, 08:32 AM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Smile

Benny,

Having had both, like a few of the guys on here, I can honestly say that the Evo is more of a raw experience, where the WRX is probably the better all rounder.

In standard form there is virtually nothing in them on accel, or in-gear times, on back roads I preferred my Scoob, as the AYC trickery of the Evo made my backside constantly punch buttons' even when used to it.

Running costs are a major factor between the two. The evo if used as a track weapon, or back road tool, is an expensive lump of metal to keep on the road, with an appettite for brakes and clutches.

It is all down to preferance, drive both and decide and speak to the guys who have had both for their opinions...ie Spanpody and Sam, although Sam could'nt tell you about the standard cars as he is the original track monster.

...John
Still running a 4WD Turbo....cough,cough
Old 06 October 2002, 09:18 AM
bennymac
Scooby Newbie

excellent thank you all so much for the input.
i will try and get a run in an evo, i agree with that whatever i choose it has to be usable for everyday use.
I still don't know the difference between the wrx and the sti ? mechanically i mean.
as for the lancer i have a mate who works for mitsu in glasgow, he has replaced 4 ayc systems this year under warrantee without the warrantee they are about £2500 !! i had enough worry about my txb on the cavalier i don't need that worry again!
the skyline is also a good idea but i really prefer the 4 door options for practicallity.
thanks again for the help.
Old 06 October 2002, 10:21 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

useable for everyday use
Only downside I see between them for everyday use is you fill up the tank more often in an Evo cause of the smaller fuel tank.

Bit of a pain in the proverbials IMHO

A
Old 06 October 2002, 10:36 AM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

hi mate,

the evo is a good car, BUT the tiny tank limits range, thus no good in the highlands, i beleve they also chomp gearboxes
thats why i bought the wrx instead of the evo5,
why not ask grant/dave at awd?
they work with them all the time?

cheers robin.
Old 06 October 2002, 11:39 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

benny if u wanna get laid and be a happy man every day go for the evo
Old 06 October 2002, 12:40 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Bennynmac,

Some usefull information about the differences between WRX and STI can be found on IWOC and SIDC FAQ

Stuart
Old 06 October 2002, 05:56 PM
bennymac
Scooby Newbie

thanks again for your help guy's !
went to see an evo 6 at the mitsu garage in linwood today and if thats typical of the quality then forget it !
the car is white but has rust spots on bonnet catch ? even though bonnet is aluminium ??
the bulk head seam also has rust spots coming through and the exhaust heatshield bolts were already is serious decline.
even the brake calipers were not all the same colour !
sorry performance is one thing but build quality is another.
on way home i dropped into eaglesham and saw an sti !!
wow it's a demo car with 3.5k miles.
going for test drive later this week lol.
will let you all know how it goes.
who can tell me the difference between standard wrx and sti version?
mechanically i mean.
dealer said standard wrx can be uprated to nearer the sti power but the sti can be upgraded to nearer the 300 mark but not the standard model why?

Old 07 October 2002, 03:38 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Benny,

1st question has to be what year model are u looking at?

The main differences between the classic WRX & standard Sti are :
Different gearing, sti has shorter 1st gear.
Sti has higher torque figure as standard.
STi has higher power to weight ratio.
Forged pistons standard in STi.
Steel crank std in STi.
Closed deck block.
Stronger clutch, diffs and shafts on Sti.
Sti dial faces,
Red manifold
(lots more but 2 tired 2 type it all)

BTW there are numerous users on here that will dissagree with the dealer u talked to regarding the 300BHP statement, again depending on which year model (YM) of WRX you are talking about (classic shape or bugeye`d fugly). 300bhp is no longer the holy grail with classic scoobs, with the right "upgrades" 300 is quite easily achievable. There are equally as many uk aspired classic scoobs
running above the 300 mark.

Sorry if I`ve confused u even further but u did ask.
Old 07 October 2002, 08:43 AM
bennymac
Scooby Newbie

ok i am looking at brand new cars at the minute in either wrx or sti !
so reading the statement mechanically the sti has considerable differences and is the easier of the 2 to be upgraded to 300 and beyond !
the dealer said the wrx cannot be given the same treatment etc from subabru ! he did say it was possible but not from subaru.
thanks again i will let you know how my sti test drive goes.
Old 07 October 2002, 09:53 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Benny,

I was out in a new Sti 7 at one of the recent spectaculars with a track instructor driving and IMHO if I was looking at a brand spanker and had the money 2 choose, then the Std Sti 7 would be given a miss (on the basis that it`s the UK Sti you`ve been looking at). In std guise the Evo feels a lot more urgent (referring to the Evo 7 so we`re doing a like for like on YM`s).
The interior of both cars again IMHO is cack i`d probably say the seats in the Evo feel better other than that Mitsubishi & Subaru have spent nuffin on the interior. That shouldn`t be a worry though as you don`t by either of these for the interior (do you)? The mpg figures as stated before are better for the Scoob though.
From memory the book figures for the new UK Sti are (flamesuit on) :

Japanese UK
MPG 19.5 mpg 18.6 mpg
0 - 60mph 5.8 sec 4.6 sec
top speed 141 mph 155 mph

Suppose these figures are ok for a straight outta the box car.
Which u will retain the wannanty on as long as none of the spy`s at trackdays spot u on track (if u intend to do a track day ).
Unsure about the Evo 7 figures I only know what a reasonably modded 1 does (sam`s) For info on the Evo 6 John is the guy to talk to.

Hope this helps a bit?

Pete
Old 07 October 2002, 01:36 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hmmm

it is very difficult choice really, and since you have posted this on scoobynet, then you have probably already made your mind up.

been in a scoob, evo6 and evo7s. it is not really that difficult to figure out. that evo6 example you have had is just a bad one you could get a same year model scoob with teh same problems.

on my scoob, the paint was actually thiner than the evo!!

interior wise they both rattle, both are just crap.

exterior both just as ugly, but how many evos do you see every day and how many scoob do you see ? to personal choice here.

engine wise, the evo engine is stronger ( in theory)

gearbox, evo gearbox is stronger, there is a lot of 450-500bhp evos running standard gearboxes. you would not find that with a scoob. there is a problem with the bearings on the evo box but once rebuilt they are usually ok. unlike scoobies gearboxes! ( i have broken 3, pete 4, alan G 3)

performance, evo6 and wrx no comparison mate. 300bhp 1360kg short gearing compared to 220/( 261sti) and 1400kg.

full range the evo is crap i fill up 30squids every other day

brake pads and discs, evo eats them for breakfast

servicing, again evo is crap 4.5k service. i never get that far anyway as i change oil after every track day. so i probably change oil every 2k miles.

to cut a long story short. a standard evo is faster than any standard subaru, sti or not. the evo6 was actually faster than the 22b even in standard trim.

if you are on a budget, and not really interested in track days, get a scoob. if you are track day oriented, get an evo.

if you get an evo you will save yourselve having to buy
front mount intercooler for the scoob
brembo brakes front
brembo brakes rear
oil cooler
bigger turbo

but you are comparing a 3 year old car ( evo6) with an almost new wrx or an sti7? don't complain about stone chips and rust. if they are maintained incorrectly any scooby or evo at this age will show the same signs.

Old 07 October 2002, 05:32 PM
bennymac
Scooby Newbie

sam great help and i think your correct i have made up my mind now and i would like the sti new model if i can do a deal??
sam i wasnt complaining about the 6 being stone chipped, the car is claimed to be the last 6 unregistered with no miles and it is rusting at the points mentioned i do find that unacceptable for a car at over £25k.
will let you all know how the test drive goes thanks.

Old 07 October 2002, 06:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam what is required to get an Evo to 400 BHP? (I may be stepping in your footsteps again when I get fed up with the Scooby breaking).
Old 07 October 2002, 06:40 PM
bennymac
Scooby Newbie

sam the car is sitting in the window of pheonix mitsubishi in linwood right now !!
it was priced as £25495 and like i said it is in terrible condition.
i meant to say that the seats in the wrx sti are far better than the seats in the evo 6 i sat in at least the sti ones will hold me in lol.
Old 07 October 2002, 08:07 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

john 400 bhp

arp bolt job of course, remappable ecu, with standard internals if u will be using them, u would need a hybrid conversion, but some evo6's can get 400 bhp without a hybrid conversion( your own turbo converted to a 20g or 19g rollerbearing, induction, full exhaust system, manifold etc etc , get a stroker u will get 400 ft torque gaz 5 has wohooo
Old 08 October 2002, 12:26 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

very strange

i have seen 6s in good condition for 16k! the evo uses proper recaro seats and they are better than the scooby ones and more expensive!

john
don't know what is needing done to get 400bhp not there yet . but as you know 340bhp is quite easy. exhuast and sports ecu/pe remap will do that. that is 700£ for exhuast and 650 for the ecu. that comes at 1.5bar.

you can push the internals to 1.7bar in the midrange if you want.

400bhp is tricky, because the turbo is rated at 380bhp max.

there is car with a tomei stroker which is 2150cc, produced 410/400 at pe. with standard turbo!

the price of hte stroker is 3k+labour.

the other option is to get a 25g kit like the car at star performance, that produced 430bhp, RC run this on standard internals and get over 400bhp easy, price of this is 3k as well. you may think it is expensive, but think how much money you have spent on manifolds and turbos! you will not be far off.
Old 08 October 2002, 12:44 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

forgot to say, rumor has it, there should be a garret turbo kit available early next year for 2k that will take the car to 400/450/500 depending on your needs

sam
Old 08 October 2002, 09:02 AM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sounds like Pheonix are trying to sting someone. IIRC the only official evos from a dealer are RS spec and not GSR, which would account for the poor quality seats. They spec'd the car up to try and pass them as GSR's but do not have ABS, AYC...blah,blah.

Even Warrenders don't chance their arm that much!! Well, maybe they do

...John
Old 13 October 2002, 09:17 PM
bennymac
Scooby Newbie

well just about ready to put down a deposit on a new wrx sti type uk (not prodrive)
the dealer didn't have much negotiation on price so i am seriously considering virgin for the car.
3.5k less than dealer for a type uk sti
decided against the evo for a number of reasons mostly small things like fuel consumption lol.
i'll let you know when i get it then maybe will meet up with you guy's soon at a rolling road day or something.