Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2002, 08:01 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

WTF was that Tipo running !!

Is it possible to run NOS in a TD ????

I would like to second everything Chris said......even the bit about being quicker than the MY97 (yup it was me) If you are considering this, all I can say is 'Dont wait any longer!' you will find that your car can be changed into a totally different machine ! I couldn't get anywhere near Chris on the way home and now the ECU has 'learned' a little more I can't wait to get a shot!

Top work John !

Paul
Old 09 June 2002, 09:56 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Wink

You got a stutter there Rich

AJx
Old 09 June 2002, 09:58 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Red face

AJ
Old 09 June 2002, 10:53 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I feel a meet comming on and a few test drives/passenger laps that should give you an idea. Perhaps top marques night @ KH?

Paul
Old 09 June 2002, 11:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will get more gains from the remap, but I would be a little more conservative with the mapping until you add the downpipe (it will still perform well, I won't bore you with the details why it needs to be a little more conservative). I could adjust the map at no charge for you if you chose to later add a downpipe. When you are getting rid of the car I would happily put your map to a standard Tek 2 so that you could exchange it with someone else's standard ECU and maybe trouser a bit back, or alternatively back to standard. Once I have mapped your car I am happy to alter the map at a later stage depending on other mods again without charge, unless you are knocking on my door ALL the time asking for alterations

I have already done ScoobyDoc's car - see his thread in Scottish or Drivetrain forum within the last few weeks - he is returning once he get a decat for completion, but his car was already running very nicely. I just removed a few degrees of advance and ran the boost slightly lower.

Safety - you are eating slightly into Subaru's extra safety margin with any modification. However, keeping it all sensible and several clicks back from what can still be done safely will give a good compromise of performance and safety.

I leave the low octane maps alone apart from correcting some anomalies and deficits in them (some ECU -even UK ones - eg AE800 and 801 have the ignition timing THE SAME FOR LOW AND HIGH OCTANE - does not makes good sense - corrected on AE802 but the performance also stifled in other ways). So if your ECU spots trouble it can pull right back to really conservative fuelling, timing and boost, in some cases far more efficiently than the original ECU maps which are not well done. There are other deficits in the ECU maps but I won't bore you any more.
Old 10 June 2002, 12:29 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks John - another comprehensive reply - and no, you're not boring me!

While we're at it - would I need to consider any other changes to the car to go with the modification? (eg up-rated spark plugs, up-rated intercooler hoses, boost gauge to keep an eye on boost etc etc)
I appreciate that some things would be an advantage - but is there anything you'd consider essential?

PG - ta (was that an offer? ) I've actually had a pax run in John's car, and yep - it goes well!

Anyone else care to comment?
Particularly those who can talk from experience.

Thanks again

Rich
Old 10 June 2002, 03:35 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Attention Mr John Banks

Is there anything you have heard of that will sort a hesitant UK MY01 WRX. Subaru dealer have reset my ECU, fitted a new one, reset it and still there is a delay in anything happening when you hit the throttle.
The delay is still there when you take your foot off the accelarator, the power stays on for about 1 1/2 seconds, which is pants just before a tight bend.

It makes the car not fun to drive fast.

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2002, 04:13 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Is the throttle sticky? They don't all do that. Sounds like a fault to correct with your car. Have they checked the travel on the throttle and looked at the voltages off the throttle position sensor?
Old 10 June 2002, 04:28 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

JB - Thanks for getting back, and quickly.
I dont think they checked either. I will ask them when the car is next in. Basic problem is the dealer I think.
I will be going a little further afield from now on.

The thing that gets me is we have to pay £58/hour plus VAT, yes 58, and the standard of service is rubbish.

I'd trade it on for an STi, if it wasnt for the difference being £10k.
Old 10 June 2002, 04:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

If you see me at a meet or you are near Dunfermline I will have a look at the sensor voltages for you if you want - but I am better at the ECU/electronic stuff than oily bits I am the first to admit. If the throttle is sticking it should show up with a quick test even with the car stationary as you can plot the throttle position sensor waveform as you move the pedal.
Old 10 June 2002, 05:07 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Smile

JB - YHM
Old 10 June 2002, 05:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Rich YHM back
Old 11 June 2002, 12:47 AM
badgerbell
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rich

I have an RB5 which already had a De-cat downpipe, normal 'catted' centre section, scoobysport backbox and ITG panel filter. Maybe 225bhp approx , but didn't feel anywhere near what my previous MY95 WRX was throwing out(260ps).
This was my goal from my visit to have John Banks work his magic, last weekend.
He re-mapped my ECU to TEK2 which immediately showed huge improvements in power / torque, but he, yes he wasn't satisfied with that and said we can get a bit more from the car yet.I thought it was already great
He then altered a few settings and I honestly can't believe how amazing the car now is It puts my WRX to shame, probably 260/270bhp but seems to pull earlier and for longer in every gear.
John explained that he doesn't alter the 'normal' driving settings so the car will still start OK and drive normally in traffic and also has left a large 'safety' margin at the top end to protect the turbo / engine.
My advice to you and anyone thinking about getting a Ecutek mod is DEFINATELY GO FOR IT.
You will be like from the moment its done

THanks again MR JOHN BANKS

Davy
( 300 mile round trip and worth every penny )

Old 06 August 2002, 11:58 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Had a custom TEK remap done on my MY00 by John Banks a couple of days back. What a guy! Real attention to detail and a top class service.

I was never sure about getting it done as I wasn't sure if it would be worth it........WRONG!!!

I was running a Dawes with a full decat but wanted a wee bit more I wasn't sure about spending a fair bit of money on the remap (I'm a bit tight you see!) as I wasn't sure about if I get a noticible performance increase.

The car now feels much, much stronger, pulling harder longer. Without going on and on, it really does feel like a different car.

At my last run at Star my car managed about 255bhp/240lbft with the dawes, I'm really interested to find out what it has now!

John did find my car to be running a bit lean at certain revs so further investigations are required to check my MAF and fuel pressure but it highlighted the benefits of the Deltadash logging gear.

If there is anyone out there considering the TEK remap then my advice is to go for it!

P.S. My car was noticably quicker than a MY97 runing a Dawes on the way home, however it still needs a bit more work to be able to take on Fiat Turbo Diesels but that is another story all together eh John & PG

[Edited by ChrisG - 6/9/2002 12:00:22 AM]
Old 06 September 2002, 09:53 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds great.

John's a thoroughly nice bloke

My MY00 is currently fairly standard (other than Back Box and uprated brakes.)

I'm thinking about doing either:

1. Full decat and filter.
OR
2. ECU Tek remap.

The obvious answer would be to do both, but I simply don't have the spare cash for both at the mo, so it'll need to be one or the other...

I'm currently vearing towards option 1, but I'd appreciate anyones help and comments...

Some of the pro's and con's as I figure them...

Full decat and filter
PRO's
- tried and tested upgrade (loads of owners have done it...)
- popular opinion seems to support the theory of sorting the car's breathing first, before doing other engine/performance mods.
- I would have something to sell at the end of Scoob ownership (return the car to standard and sell the exhaust system).
CON's
- renders the car's emmisions illegal (?) (roadside checks?)
- LOUD (I know, I love the sound too - but don't really want the attention from police/neighbours etc)
- have to put the cat(s) back in for MOT time.

ECU Tek custom remap
PRO's
- stealth (not obvious unless you actually drive the car)
- quieter than decat (I assume)
- no MOT or roadside check hassles (I assume)
- Would correct an apparent weak point of the car (MY00 ECU is said to be less good than previous versions.)
CON's
- how safe is this modification compared to decat? PLEASE - No offence intended to John or ECU Tek or anyone else involved in providing this upgrade - I'm sure that much research has gone in to it, and John does appear to be very competent. But being the cautious type, I'd like a lot more feedback from other owners running it for an extended period before doing it myself.
- no (apparent) way of getting any cash back when I sell the car. (I can be a real skin flint sometimes! )

I reckon the costs for each option would be similar (within £100 of each other) and I would guess that performance gains would also be similar.

It's probably clear by this post that I don't know my stuff well enough (especially with the assumptions I've made) so please feel free to correct / flame me.

Like I said, any advice would be very much appreciated...

Rich

[Edited by RichS - 6/9/2002 10:00:42 PM]
Old 06 September 2002, 09:54 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Double post - sorry

[Edited by RichS - 6/9/2002 9:57:19 PM]