Notices
ScoobyNet Spec C See what we have done with the ScoobyNet Spec C!!!

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2007, 11:43 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introduction

Note: If you have problems changing pages on this article, please ensure you have the following option set in your USERCP -> "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" set to "Use Forum Default"

Why do so many people modify their vehicles? Perhaps it's because people want something a bit different or are never satisfied. Whatever the case or need for modification, can people ever be sure that what they buy and modify is either a worth while purchase or effective...... sure, but normally only after they have spent their hard earned! Hopefully these articles about the ScoobyNet Spec C, will give an insight of what is involved in various modifications and also based on what we found, what actually works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sti3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	219Not too long ago I purchased a very nice UK PPP STi, with the view that I wanted something that was UK, was covered by a main dealer warranty and would not be modified over anything other than Subaru approved equipment. The reason for this? Well…. I had previously owned Click image for larger version

Name:	sti2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	220several modified Cosworths (and a previous Scooby), with the previous car being a 500+bhp RS500. With the 500 becoming very rare and the fact that I didn't use it that much since it had stopped becoming a normal road car, I decided to change for something that was a bit more practical.

After purchasing the UK PPP STi (I was over the moon with it, after buying it privately from these forums) all was good for a couple of weeks, the car was fine and the power was adequate…… unfortunately this soon changed as I made the fatal mistake of looking at threads on ScoobyNet about modifications…… the modding bug took a grip!

Talking to a number of companies about what was available, giving me a fair increase in power but being reliable was paramount. After a conversation with a particular individual, it was pointed out to me that by far the better platform to start from (if the choice was available) would be a JDM spec car. Of course I always knew the JDM car was better than a UK car (as regards to spec and tuneability), but my reasons for buying what I did would not of allowed this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spec5.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	237Fortunately I managed to track down arguably the ultimate modern day Scooby…. a Spec C!!! This time I wasn’t going to get caught out, so decided on going the full hog!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	intro1.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	222   Click image for larger version

Name:	intro2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	223   Click image for larger version

Name:	intro3.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	224  

Last edited by ex-webby; 19 February 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:49 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Specification of Spec C differences from UK STi (over and above list below)
  • Twin Scroll turbo
  • Equal Length Headers
  • Different Cams
  • Different head porting
  • Different gearing (1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th as UK)
  • Higher rev limit
Specification List of Spec C (differing from standard JDM STi)
  • Spec C Engine Oil Cooler
  • Spec C anti surge fuel pump
  • Spec C water pump
  • 12 Litre Water Tank (In Boot) for intercooler spray
  • Different radiator
  • Gearbox Cooler
  • Different spec turbo
  • Lightweight glass
  • Reduced body weight
  • Reduced sound deadening
  • Stiffer roll bars
  • Roof vent
  • Deletion of Air Conditioning
  • Deletion of central locking
  • Deletion of electric windows and mirrors
Additional changes in specification, prior to this article
  • Aero Kit fitted (front and rear bumper changes and rear wing), with Carbon Fibre rear spoiler replaced with STi High Level Spoiler
  • 18" PFF Wheels
  • Eibach Uprated & Lowered Springs
  • AP 6 Pot brakes at front with 355 rotors
  • Electric Windows
  • DEFI STi 3 gauge system
  • PSI3 Monitor
  • Miltek first generation sports cat exhaust system
  • UK Fuel remap
  • Whiteline handling kit, comprising of rear anti roll bar and anti-lift kit
Even though the Subaru Impreza is a very competent car to start with, many of us get that niggling feeling of “What can I change to make it more powerful and handle better?”. Of course, normally you still need the car for every day use and most of us don’t have endless pots of money to spend on such mod’s either……. and then the biggest question is “Where do I Start?????”.

Views:	215
ID:	225   Click image for larger version

Views:	216
ID:	226   Click image for larger version

Views:	216
ID:	227  

Last edited by ex-webby; 28 January 2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:56 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Since the topic of modification is more common on Scoobynet then anything else, I thought it would be a good idea to make any findings public to assist so many others that are looking to modify with the same criteria….. while HUGE BHP is cool and a stripped out track car is awesome, most people want something in the middle.

I know from personal experience, that so many people want to get that bit extra from their cars, but equally use that same car for transporting the kids around but may like to take the car for a blast down the lanes or of course take the car on track. Knowing what to buy is a minefield, but I hope to show what can be possible and available to the masses without compromising the basic function of the car, but at the same time open up the envelope in creating something that is even more diverse.

So what next?

The aim is to initially test products on the car that will enable the car to be just as much at home taking you, your wife and your kids on a 200 mile trip in comfort, be able to have pin sharp handling and excellent driveability (for those times when you fancy a blast on your own) but with the proviso that the car will also be very good on track as well (should you feel the need for some legal fun, that you would otherwise not be able to do on UK roads). While top line power figures are all well and good, the initial stage of this article will not be chasing numbers for the sake of chasing. The intention is to have a modified motor (both engine and handling) but using effective, affordable and tasteful mods working together in a package that returns excellent driveability and reliability for the previously mentioned remit. Sure the car will hopefully be more powerful & handle better, but not at the expensive of drivability.

“Yeah, so whats new then! Company x,y,z can give me an overall package to do this!!!”

Very true…..but how do you know what your buying actually does what YOU think or have been told what it will do, until you have had it fitted? Would you not want to read about facts, figures and as much information as possible first? Without doubt this is one of the reasons ScoobyNet has thrived since experiences and advice can be swapped backwards and forwards within the forums. This article is not intended to break new ground (ok, some different newly developed products will be looked at, but nothing will stop the Sun from being yellow), but it is intended to go in to as much detail as possible as regards to what is being tested, what the results have been, what comparisons (where applicable) between similar products are etc. Many times over people will arrive at a company and ask for a package that consists of several products, the idea of this article is to look at and show what difference each of these products make (where feasible).

Views:	164
ID:	228   Click image for larger version

Views:	164
ID:	229   Click image for larger version

Views:	166
ID:	230  

Last edited by ex-webby; 25 January 2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:58 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

This article will be split in to various stages and categories, with each stage trying to follow a specific remit.

Stage 1
As previously mentioned, this initial stage will be looking at modifications that improve both the handling and power of the car while still keeping the car as a purposeful machine for being a “Jack of all trades”. Based on what most people want, this is perhaps the biggest consideration that is taken in to account. The vehicle must remain as compromising as possible. We don’t want handling mods that knock your teeth out and power delivery that comes in at 4500rpm. As regards to Engine Mod’s, we will be looking at various exhaust and filter kits in particular as the specific idea of these mods will be to return the best gain and driveability for a reasonable cost.

Talking of cost…… How much of a target is acceptable….. who knows! This of course changes from person to person, and for this very reason we will not be looking at setting a target budget for each category. But, we will however cost everything as we go along so ultimately this information will be available to reference against.

This stage will be split in to various categories:

Stage1 - Engine Modifications
Stage1 - Handling Modifications
External Cosmetic Modifications

Stage 2
This will be a step forward from Stage 1 as regards to looking more specifically at the engine to achieve more power, but with the remit of not sacrificing the driveability and to not cost the earth. It is envisaged that this stage will look at Turbo and Intercooler units. In this stage the car will also be moved to be more track orientated, which will also include further modifications on Handling.

This stage will be split in to various categories:

Stage2 - Engine Modifications
Stage2 - Handling Modifications

I will be describing my progress along this eventful journey in this article, with as many purposeful pictures and technical information about what is being done and why, test results, costs etc. I sincerely hope that the information given is both informative and useful!

Of course, to achieve this requires a vast pool of knowledge, much of which already exists within the Scoobynet community. A number of items are in development and being able to use and test the final production items will be very interesting. This article has been made possible due to the involvement of some of these companies from the ScoobyNet community, some making available both their time and products to be tested/used.

Views:	133
ID:	231   Click image for larger version

Views:	134
ID:	232   Click image for larger version

Views:	134
ID:	233  

Last edited by ex-webby; 28 January 2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 25 January 2007, 12:02 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

THE BASE CAR

MY03 Spec C
Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) Import
2ltr Engine
AWD with DCCD-A (Driver Controlled Centre Diff – Automatic/Manual)

State of modifications prior to testing (to be explained and compared against during article):
UK Fuel Re-map using ECUTEK
AP 6 Pot brakes with 355 rotors
18” Prodrive PFF Wheels
Eibach Uprated & Lowered Springs
Whiteline handling kit, comprising of rear anti-roll bar and anti-lift kit
Miltek first generation 2 ½” sports cat exhaust system
PSI3 Monitor
Sti Genome Defi 3 gauge system

Since MY05>, the Spec C has been the base car that Prodrive use for Group N rallying. So in essence it is one of the very few remaining homologation editions that are still available to the public as a new car.

Although this car was not standard when I bought it, the difference in handling and power compared to the previous UK PPP STi was plentiful. Many people have had the opinion (whether through hearsay or not) that a Spec C was uncompromising. I was expecting this during the test drive, but was very surprised to find this was not the case. Sure the car was a little harder than my STi, but only by a very small amount and considering the Spec C shod 18” wheels it was only to be expected to a degree. This personal comparison was with my previous UK STi having the complete Prodrive Handling kit fitted, so how it would compare to a standard UK STi I cannot comment. The handling was so much sharper and quicker than my UK STi (which also had the Whiteline handling kit) it was a completely different experience. Unfortunately I was unable to compare this against a standard Spec C, since mine had already been modified with the Whiteline Handling Kit, but more information will be given on this under the appropriate section further on. I would imagine the lighter weight, coupled with the quicker steering certainly helps to achieve this increased driving feel and responsiveness.

The power delivery between this Spec C and my previous PPP’d STi was also a totally different experience. While the PPP made the UK STi much more driveable, the difference in power delivery compared to the Spec C was hugely noticeable. The turbo spool up was the biggest difference…. it felt so responsive and pulled much stronger in higher revs. Even in it’s current state of tune the Spec C was expected to be more powerful than a PPP’d UK STi, but in my goal to find a replacement for the UK STi I had also driven a couple of standard JDM newage STI’s as well and the spool up difference was the same. These Twin Scroll turbo’d engines really do respond so much better than the UK turbo’d cars.

Sound….. well first off because of the decreased sound deadening it is slightly noisier in the cabin, but again nothing obtrusive and unacceptable. Secondly the exhaust note….. forget the Scoob burble, as somebody in the development team at Subaru decided we don’t need it anymore and that the equal length headers give use better response and better torque….. who am I to argue. Funnily enough, you get used to not having the burble and find the alternative exhaust note just as satisfying. Some say it sounds like a jet engine…. I wouldn’t go that far, but it certainly is distinctive.

I would like to personally thank Iain, owner of Litchfield Imports who without his help and expertise I would not be in ownership of this cracking Spec C. Iain’s attitude and professionalism is second to none as I am sure many of you are already aware of, but for those of you looking for something concerning the Subaru marque you would do yourself a miss justice by not speaking to Iain about your requirements. I appreciate this may not be anything new regarding his reputation, but I appreciate good service and would like to pass my personal gratitude on.

Views:	126
ID:	234   Click image for larger version

Views:	129
ID:	235   Click image for larger version

Views:	129
ID:	236  

Last edited by ex-webby; 25 January 2007 at 08:34 PM.